Extended DealerShip Warranty?

The Kizashi should soon show up in Australia. We look forward to seeing members from your region.
heych

I have a 2010 Kizashi (XLS - CVT - 31,000kms) which has just run out of factory warranty (3 year warranty). I have had no issues with it, but the dealer (whom I purchased the car from) has offered an extended 4 year warranty covering the mechanical/drivetrain side of things. I only drive 10,000kms per year.
The cost to me is to have it serviced at that dealer, on a 6 monthly basis, then they will honour 4 years warranty (mechanical/drivetrain).
This dealer is a 45 minute drive away, and they charge around $450 per service, so I am not sure if I should go ahead or not.
I am thinking to not going ahead with it, and find a cheaper service centre locally, and just have it serviced once per year. This will save me around $600 per year, as well as the time to travel to the current dealer.
... any recommendations? I am still undecided.
~tc~

What are they going to charge you for the warranty?

$600/yr x4 yr + 360 miles wear and tear ... You're going to need something pretty major to fail (and be coverable under warranty) for it to pay.

Always amazes me how different warranty terms are around the world. Here in the USA, Suzuki came with 3 yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper and 7 yr/100000 mi powertrain.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
murcod

Sounds like you might be in Australia? I'd be checking into the details of the warranty first- I assume it's not extending the Suzuki factory warranty and covering everything as per the first 3yrs? If it's an aftermarket warranty it may not cover much, unless something like your engine totally self destructs.

PS: Suzuki engines are generally very reliable. The CVT is perhaps your biggest "liability"?
David
heych

Thanks for the feedback guys ... I am in Brisbane (Australia) ... they aren't going to charge me other than requesting an extra service (every 6 months, rather than every year).

I think I will take my chances ... only travelling 10,000km per year, and drive it pretty easy, so hoping it just keeps on going ... I will find a service centre close by who are more reasonably priced.

The warranty in the states sounds fantastic ... 3yr / 7 yr ... Wow!!

h
SamirD

I always think about warranties, especially extended ones in terms of 'will I need it?'.

First, you have to look over the warranty contract in detail. Make sure they don't have exclusions like your transmission can only fail on a Friday the 13th after a black cat crossed your path. :lol:

Second, will you really need it? Does history indicate that you'll have a major failure that the warranty will cover, and hence put you ahead financially? If not, then it's just a way for the dealership to make more money. Plus, if they mess up something on your car, they get paid warranty rates to fix it. But you get your car being used as a way for the dealership to siphon off money. And the inconvenience.

Personally, I feel the Kizashi is a solid Japanese car. In other words, drive it, take care of it, and it will last. You have to watch the details, as Japanese cars do require some precision, but I personally don't think a warranty is necessary.