Australian owner- Kizashi replacement option discussion

The Kizashi should soon show up in Australia. We look forward to seeing members from your region.
murcod

This topic has been split from another thread. Relevant parts have been quoted below. Please keep the CVT discussion in the old thread here http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=3146 :
BarryTurner wrote:...if I do decide to replace mine it would probably be next year some time. The trouble is what to replace it with. I like the look of the new Maxda 6 but read that it still. has nvh noise problems. I had a couple in the past and they were really noisy. I dont trust vw group technology. Nissan Altima looks like an old persons car - Im almost 70 but appreciate handling and dynamics and cars at the smaller end of the medium class.
coref1 wrote:... I agree it'll be difficult to find a car with as much going for it for the money. Apart from fuel economy and in reality the minor possibility of transmission problems there isn't much to really complain about. I'd be more likely to go for the Mazda 3 then the 6 as the 3 seems to be closer to the Kizashi size and one of the reasons I went for the Kizashi was the other medium size cars are too big for my needs now. The reviews I've read on the Altima indicate it's only average and if you want good handling & dynamics I'd think Kizashi, Mazda 3/6 or Golf. Your've already ruled out VW for the same reason as me so there's not much left to choose. Suzuki does have a reputation for reliability so I wouldn't write off your Kizashi yet.
BarryTurner wrote:I agree about the Mazda 3 and Ive also thought about the Focus. What concerns me with the Kizi is so few have been sold. There has been no incentive to develop technical support like dealing with the cvt. Cars like Maxima are well established and there are procedures for dealing with them. Im converned I might be offered a new cvt from Japan at an astronomical price take it or leave it. I love the car and the cvt is my only concern about it.

Check out the insurance prices carefully for some of the other options. I've found the Kizashi dirt cheap compared to some new model Fords (for example the Kuga... twice the price of the Kizashi for insurance!?!) It wouldn't surprise me if the Focus is similarly priced.

I agree the 6 is huge, but I walked past a new 3 hatchback yesterday and it appeared to have a lot less room in the back? That was only looking through the window, but I was surprised at how much smaller it appeared to be? (Perhaps an illusion?) A Jetta or Octavia could be a good option, but I'm hearing you on the potential issues (including servicing costs perhaps being dearer?)

PS: If you want CoreF1 I can split this into a new topic and keep the original CVT thread "intact"?
David
BarryTurner

I'm probably worrying unduly. Around town we mostly use my wife's Swift. The Kizi does most of its kms on freeways and highways and it has low kms for its age, It is a good point you make David about insurance. There are lots of costs in owning a car other than sticker price and fuel economy.
coref1

Hi Murcod, yes we are diverting a bit but both topics are worth discussing so splitting is ok.
What put it in my mind to to start this topic was my dealer mechanic also said sometimes local compliance mods can cause reliability problems so whilst I have my doubts this applies to the Kizashi cvt issues I thought I'd test the theory by finding out how many NZ/Aus Kizashi's had a cvt problem. So far none so hopefully that means we're worrying about nothing but I'm sure it's not quite that straightforward.
On the subject of Kizashi alternatives, I've also thought about the Fiesta and Focus but they seem to have reliability concerns also so if thats why your selling Kizashi then it's probably a waste of time and money. I take on board the space issues with the 3 but given my current needs I still think overall the 3 is the better option over the 6 for me.
To be honest unless more definite evidence comes along confirming reliability issues with Kizashi's I'll be keeping mine for along time yet.
Ronzuki

murcod wrote:Check out the insurance prices carefully for some of the other options. I've found the Kizashi dirt cheap compared to some new model Fords
I've just received the new insurance bill since adding the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the 2010 Kizashi is nearly double what the brand new Jeep is. Our SX4 is the worst (highest cost to insure) of the 3 vehicles. Coverage is the same across the board for all 3.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

Ronzuki wrote:
murcod wrote:Check out the insurance prices carefully for some of the other options. I've found the Kizashi dirt cheap compared to some new model Fords
I've just received the new insurance bill since adding the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the 2010 Kizashi is nearly double what the brand new Jeep is. Our SX4 is the worst (highest cost to insure) of the 3 vehicles. Coverage is the same across the board for all 3.
Yes, we're talking in Australia though. The Jeep would be a locally made vehicle in the USA(?) vs the Kizashi being an import. It's much the same here (usually) with the locally made models being cheaper to insure (until you start looking at the v8 models!)

Edit:
I just double checked some prices online. I don't know that happened last time when I tried for a quote on the Kuga, but the price is now not bad compared to the Kizashi. Online for the Kizashi I got $55 / month (however, my renewal last week was only $465 per year - $39/ month - with lots of accessories listed :? .... not that I'm complaining...), a mid spec Kuga is $62/ month, mid spec Focus $57 and (for a laugh) a 2011 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon was $68.
David
BarryTurner

I'm on lifetime rating 1 with GIO and pay around $60 per month. Looks like I'm being dudded :x
coref1

Not really I'm paying $65 a month insured for $33540 with Real Insurance. I just checked and I was only paying about $50 a month for my Camry and my 99 Corolla I'm paying $49 a month but both with much less insured value. I guess you'd need to compare with the current Camry or Mazda 6 to see if the Kizashi is more expensive. I suspect parts for the Kizashi may be more expensive then the Camry but not sure about the Mazda or Kia Optima. Insurance is one of those necessary evils in life unfortuneately.
murcod

I just remembered why my renewal price was cheaper than online - I've increased the excess to $1000. I'm in SA too, so prices in Sydney I'd imagine would be dearer.

Some more: Mazda 3 SP25 Astina sedan 6spd man is identically priced to the Kizashi, Mazda 6 GT sedan (no manual trans option for the petrol!) is actually cheaper at $51.
David
murcod

coref1 wrote: I've also thought about the Fiesta and Focus but they seem to have reliability concerns also so if thats why your selling Kizashi then it's probably a waste of time and money.
Out of interest, what have you heard about the Fiesta and Focus? The inner hoon in me wouldn't say no to either vehicle (in the ST guise :D )
David
coref1

Probably the same as you Murcod, good dynamics, performance etc, basically fun cars to drive. On the negative they seem to have a few issues with the DSG trannys and maybe software or electronics. Ford dealers don't seem to have a very good reputation for service either.