Which oil type

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
TimoJens1

I have just purchased a used 2010 Kizashi S. It already has 30,000 miles on it and is coming due for an oil change. I have always used conventional motor oil but I am being told to use different types of oil by everyone that seems to have a vehicle, none of which are a suzuki. I am curious of whether I should use full synthetic, Synthetic Blend or stick with Conventional. I would appreciate if some of you fellow Kizashi owners could fill me in on your thoughts and/or practices.
murcod

Welcome. :)

You're opening a can of worms with that question! The bottom line is, if you stick to the oil specs within the owner's manual you can't really go wrong. You can spend more and get a warm fuzzy feeling. ;)

From an online version of the Service Manual:
Use only engine oil of SG, SH, SJ, SL or SM grade.
Select the appropriate oil viscosity according to the chart [A].
SAE 0W-20 oil is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
NOTE:
• Engine oil capacity is specified below. However, note that the amount of oil required when actually changing oil may somewhat differ from the data depending on various conditions (temperature, viscosity, etc.)
• The specified engine oil grade and “proper engine oil viscosity chart [A]” mentioned in this manual are given as typical ones. The actual engine oil grade and proper engine oil viscosity, however, vary depending on the ambient temperature and availability of the oil. Refer to “Engine Oil and Filter” section of the Owner’s Manual.

Engine oil specifications
Oil pan capacity : About 4.3 liters (9.09 US pt. / 7.57 lmp pt.)
Oil pan plus oil filter capacity : About 4.5 liters (9.51 US pt. / 7.92 lmp pt.)
Disassembly/Reassembly : About 5.2 liters (10.99 US pt. / 9.15 lmp pt.)
Attachments
Kizashi oil viscosity chart (Medium).png
Kizashi oil viscosity chart (Medium).png (93.92 KiB) Viewed 16494 times
David
~tc~

In the US, the recommended interval is 7500 miles. If I'm only changing then oil twice a year, I don't have as much issue paying for synthetic.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
KuroNekko

Interesting how the service manual recommends 0W-20. The USDM owner's manual and the engine hood/bonnet placard both recommend 5W-30.
I personally would not use 0W-20 unless the car was driven in subfreezing temperatures most of the time. 5W-30 is also more readily available than 0W-20 so it will not only offer better protection in higher temperatures, but also be easier (and cheaper) to obtain.

I personally use 5W-30 full synthetic motor oil. I am currently using Mobil 1 motor oil though I've used Pennzoil Ultra in the past few oil changes. Both are highly reputable though not the very best you can get.

There is nothing wrong with conventional oil as long as you change the oil at the recommended intervals. I personally go with synthetic because of the better sludge resistance, added wear resistance, and a few other benefits. It also lets me extend my oil change interval. I change my oil about every 7500 miles though I fit into the "severe usage" category that recommends oil changes every 3000 to 5000 miles, depending on where one lives.

If you plan to keep the Kizashi a long time and want to change your own oil, I recommend going with a full synthetic oil regiment. It's just better for the long term in regards to engine condition.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
TimoJens1

Thank you murcod and KuroNekko for the help. I have chosen Mobile 1 5W-30 full synthetic and I have a Purolator Classic Filter at the moment but I am attempting to find a Purolator Synthetic Filter as to go with the longer changing times of full synthetic oil. Thanks again you two, I appreciate the responses.
murcod

Just keep in mind that the recommended change interval reduces to 4500 miles/ 7500km if you fit any of the following criteria:
Severe condition code:
A: Repeated short trips
B: Driving on rough and/or muddy roads
C: Driving on dusty roads
D: Driving in extremely cold weather and/or salted roads
E: Repeated short trips in extremely cold weather
F: Leaded fuel use
G: Repeated high speed drive or high engine revolutions
H: Trailer towing (if admitted)
David
bootymac

TimoJens1 wrote:Thank you murcod and KuroNekko for the help. I have chosen Mobile 1 5W-30 full synthetic and I have a Purolator Classic Filter at the moment but I am attempting to find a Purolator Synthetic Filter as to go with the longer changing times of full synthetic oil. Thanks again you two, I appreciate the responses.
Just a heads up that the Purolator Classic and PureOne and Bosch Premium filters are prone to media tearing due to a manufacturing defect. I wouldn't trust those filters for extended intervals
murcod

:)

OEM is a safe bet.

:lol:
David
TimoJens1

I purchased the Purolator Synthetic Oil filter #PSL14477 for my 2010 Kizashi but I could not get it to screw onto my engine. I brought the filter to the local Napa and they did a cross check to see if any of the other filters that size would fit my car. They told me that the filter I had was incorrect. I looked online at Advance Auto website and it claims that the PSL14477 is an exact match for my car. I was forced to use a WIX Filter. I have never used one prior to this and I am wondering if it is a filter I can trust? How long will it last with the mobile one synthetic oil? Will this filters media tear, rip off, and/or become a hazard to my motor?
Woodie

14477 should fit.

Wix is one of the top rated brands, they make a lot of the expensive name brand filters. I'm not familiar enough with their line of products to tell you if they make different levels of filters under their own name.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency