Passenger seat part question

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
dmitche

Whats the name of that plastic covering on the side of the passenger seat where the adjustment lever is on and everything?
KuroNekko

Not sure but I'd call it the passenger seat lower side trim. Did yours break too? I find that the front of it can get ripped out, but it's not hard to fix.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

Agh! I thought we were the only one!

It looks like it's not an easy fix as the switches seem directly wired to the seat.

KuroNekko, how have you fixed yours? I just put it back in place and hope the wife won't snag something else on it. :?
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:Agh! I thought we were the only one!

It looks like it's not an easy fix as the switches seem directly wired to the seat.

KuroNekko, how have you fixed yours? I just put it back in place and hope the wife won't snag something else on it. :?
You have to remove it from the seat and mend the tear in the plastic bracket that holds the trim piece to the seat's metal frame. The problem is that the metal of the seat that the trim piece attaches to is rather sharp and cuts the plastic of the trim when pulled. This is the reason the trim piece easily comes out of place. I've tried stapling and gluing the plastic in the past but have last resorted to using Gorilla duct tape to mend the bracket.
However, my car is a GTS without passenger-side motorized seats. Fixing this issue with the buttons and wiring on the passenger side would be even harder, I imagine.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:

You have to remove it from the seat and mend the tear in the plastic bracket that holds the trim piece to the seat's metal frame. The problem is that the metal of the seat that the trim piece attaches to is rather sharp and cuts the plastic of the trim when pulled. This is the reason the trim piece easily comes out of place. I've tried stapling and gluing the plastic in the past but have last resorted to using Gorilla duct tape to mend the bracket.
However, my car is a GTS without passenger-side motorized seats. Fixing this issue with the buttons and wiring on the passenger side would be even harder, I imagine.
Ours have the motorized passenger seat since it's an SLS and on ours, there's actually no design flaw except that something can get caught on the front edge of that plastic piece and then have enough force to remove it from the metal bracket. But I believe that bracket must also be sharp as it has damaged the plastic that fits over that metal piece.

It's a pain to fix and will come off again if something contacts that front edge, which has an even larger gap now for something to catch on. :cry:
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:

Ours have the motorized passenger seat since it's an SLS and on ours, there's actually no design flaw except that something can get caught on the front edge of that plastic piece and then have enough force to remove it from the metal bracket. But I believe that bracket must also be sharp as it has damaged the plastic that fits over that metal piece.

It's a pain to fix and will come off again if something contacts that front edge, which has an even larger gap now for something to catch on. :cry:
Sounds like the motorized passenger seat has the same design as the manual one. Your description matched my observations exactly. Things like purse straps, leashes, and plastic bags get caught on the front edge and the force is enough for the metal of the seat to cut through the plastic bracket. So far, my Gorilla-brand duct tape is keeping things together and keeping that gap small and as flush with the seat as possible.