My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

BLyons wrote:I gave up on mine because the relearn would only stay until my first highway trip every time. The shops wanted to charge over $100 just to touch it. I'll deal with the orange screen for that price. Hopefully once I put the winter tires back on with the stock sensors I won't have the same problem.
If they've attempted to relearn the newer sensors on the car, then you will have the same problem with the other set of sensors since they were cleared from the car during the relearn. :(

I think the next saga in the TPMS world is to figure out why the programming isn't sticking.
BLyons

The stock ones were able to relearn first try with no problems. Guess I'll just have to deal with the orange triangle half the year.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Drake One

I have two sets of wheels too, and sometimes the damn sensors set themselves, and one year it doesn't!! Suzuki was able to reset them, but I don't want to go to the dealer everytime! So I just leave it be for the couple of months of winter,as aggravating as it is. Let me know how this works!
ochy38

So, i apologize if this particular question has been answered but I didn't see it while searching thru all the pages of this tread.. This car has the "service tpms" message. I usually can't get it into the relearn mode, but when I THINK i do, the message disappears, and the tire emblem in the speedo blinks faster, but not in the "2 blink" configuration like noted, its more of a quick continuous blink. Is that correct?

From there, I drop pressures in the tires but NOTHING changes on the dash. Blinking stays the same. I move on from tire to tire. Nothing seems to take. I ordered the Chrysler ones, so I suppose that could be an issue.

But, my main question, do I IN FACT have it in relearn mode if the tire emblem blinks quicker?
BLyons

If the blinking changes, it is in relearn mode. I also have the Chrysler ones. My car will learn them, but it forgets them after a few days and the message comes back, so I stopped trying to do the relearn with this set.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

As I've been following this thread on and off since its inception, I've often thought it would be immensely helpful to the forum if those posting would simply expand a bit upon the specifics of the mfg and part numbers of sensors discussed in their posts. We then might be able to determine a pattern of certain TPMSs that won't play nice with the car. Obviously, factory sensors work and play nice. After that, there's not much in the way of useful sensor type data here relative to the "one set 'learns' and my other 'set' doesn't" debacle. Maybe try "my original OE sensors relearn but my second set of brand X, model Y doesn't", or whatever. Specifics and details maybe in a table in the DIY section listing specific brands and p/n's, as well as where they were procured from, may prove useful here. Just a thought. I'm still rolling on my original OE sensors, so I have nothing to add from the 3rd party sensor arena.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

BLyons wrote:The stock ones were able to relearn first try with no problems. Guess I'll just have to deal with the orange triangle half the year.
The only thing I can think is that the Chrysler sensors are not compatible as highway speed trigger is different than just low speed.
SamirD

Drake One wrote:I have two sets of wheels too, and sometimes the damn sensors set themselves, and one year it doesn't!! Suzuki was able to reset them, but I don't want to go to the dealer everytime! So I just leave it be for the couple of months of winter,as aggravating as it is. Let me know how this works!
I too have started to see some quirkiness in the TPMS relearns and how long they hold. I've been using the air method since I haven't had time to get my vt30 fixed. But that vt30 is a lot better than filling air in 20F, so I'm going to get that thing fixed for sure, especially if relearns take multiple attempts.
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:As I've been following this thread on and off since its inception, I've often thought it would be immensely helpful to the forum if those posting would simply expand a bit upon the specifics of the mfg and part numbers of sensors discussed in their posts. We then might be able to determine a pattern of certain TPMSs that won't play nice with the car. Obviously, factory sensors work and play nice. After that, there's not much in the way of useful sensor type data here relative to the "one set 'learns' and my other 'set' doesn't" debacle. Maybe try "my original OE sensors relearn but my second set of brand X, model Y doesn't", or whatever. Specifics and details maybe in a table in the DIY section listing specific brands and p/n's, as well as where they were procured from, may prove useful here. Just a thought. I'm still rolling on my original OE sensors, so I have nothing to add from the 3rd party sensor arena.
This would be very helpful information.

A lot of my TPMS research was based on original part numbers and the FCC documents. We can easily see design changes/differences that may make other sensors not work if we can do comparisons.
SamirD

And it's that time of year again--I'll be using the methods pioneered in this thread years ago to relearn the car to the summer tires again. 8-)