Engine and Transmission Assembly Removal for Head Gasket Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
licenseTOill

Great! I'm glad it will help you.

I have a little over 3000 miles on it now and everything is working perfectly.

A couple of things I wanted to add to the thread:

The cooling system needs to be bled properly or it will over heat again when you go for your test drive. The easiest way I found to do this is to vent the system at the highest point. This point is that cap that blew off initially for me on the back side of the head. Remove this rubber acorn shaped cap by removing the hose clamp first. Then, fill the cooling system until coolant drains from the nipple where the cap was. Next, put the cap back on and top off the cooling system and fill the reservoir.

The second thing is regarding the torque converter. In the automatics, it's easier to leave the torque converter attached to the transmission rather than leave the torque converter on the flywheel like a clutch. To remove the converter while leaving it on the transmission, access the bolts via the hole where the starter used to be. Rotate the engine for each bolt and remove them until all the bolts are removed. The engine will easily disconnect from the transmission if everything else is disconnected and unbolted properly. If you do take the torque converter out of the transmission for some reason, there are three alignments that need to be made. The two tabs for the pump, the inner shaft, and the outer shaft. I recommend that you watch a video on youtube about how to install a torque converter prior to doing it. You can see where to access the torque converter bolts via the starter hole in the first photo of post #44272 on page 3.

Here are the two male ends of the splined shafts and the female side where the tabs will align for the pump. This is on the transmission.
5730.jpeg
5730.jpeg (295.83 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
Here are the two female ends of the splined shafts and the male end of the tabs for the pump. This is the torque converter.
5732.jpeg
5732.jpeg (378.93 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
That's about it. Hopefully, I get another 100k miles out of it now.
Joe
2012 Kizashi SLS AWD - Pearl Black
--HID low beams.
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT Twin Turbo - Pearl White
--ATX to MTX
--NA to TT
Joe Nag
OlensKizashi

Great job and thanks for posting all of the notes and pictures.
SamirD

Man, this is one amazing thread. Between this and the ability to have proper cvt repair thanks to old tech, I believe that any Kizashi can be kept alive as long as the owner wants it now. :D
Gman#1

Quick question . Is it possible to remove the engine and transmission from the top if I remove the battery tray and brackets
old tech

Is it possible ? yes . I dont suggest it .You can drop cradle, steering rack. engine ,and trans in one shot out the bottom. I saw one attempt through the top where someone had cut the battery support and welded it back together.