CVT Fluid Drain and Fill w/ Filters Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Ronzuki

...sad ya have to always be CYA-ing. But there ya have it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Quimicax

old tech wrote:In the above posted pictures, the before pic is the 12-13 yr deep pan . The after pic is the 10-11 short pan . See the different magnet location. They each have their own filter. The short filter in the deep pan is not a good thing. It could lead to fluid starvation given a low level and just the right tilt. Unfortunately ,the earlier pan filter typically, is all the part stores have listed for all Kizashis. The longer reach 12-13 filter in the 10-11 pan is not possible. On the topic of fluid color. its possible for manufacturers to make it any color they wish. Castrol makes a very good cvt fluid thats red. I wont use it for the simple fact of I may be accused of putting the wrong fluid into someones transmission which led to a failure.

the previous owner had confirmed to me that he had an accident and damaged the Pan and changed it,
I had to buy the corresponding ones for both the pan and the filter in https://partsouq.com/ since they were the only ones that had the correct part numbers for the 12/13 models,thanks to the information given in the forums
and yours and the numbers parts of the TSB
Kizashi GTS 2013 AWD
DRL Off / Foglights Without Headlights

Ford Explorer Sport 2013
350Rwhp

Nissan Xtrail 2017
hillboy73

Could someone post a picture of their fluid level on their dipstick with the car cold and not running? Someone with the stick with the drilled holes. Still getting bubbles in the fluid at operating temp. I want to see if it helps me figure if it's over or under filled (or possibly fine)
bdleonard

hillboy73 wrote:Could someone post a picture of their fluid level on their dipstick with the car cold and not running? Someone with the stick with the drilled holes. Still getting bubbles in the fluid at operating temp. I want to see if it helps me figure if it's over or under filled (or possibly fine)
That is unproductive for anything other than making sure there is some fluid in the system. Ambient temperature, the amount of time since the vehicle was run, etc. will all alter this reading.

You need to follow the proper procedure and check the fluid with the car running, on level ground, and the CVT fluid in the specified temperature range. No other method will tell you if the fluid level is set correctly.
SAEED_KIZZY

I noticed that the CVT oil radiator has a very thin radiator and if you use a pressure washer to clean it can easily bend and restrict airflow through the radiator and can cause overheating CVT oil.

photo_2020-09-18_13-25-28.jpg
photo_2020-09-18_13-25-28.jpg (156.59 KiB) Viewed 10379 times
photo_2020-09-18_13-25-25.jpg
photo_2020-09-18_13-25-25.jpg (180.54 KiB) Viewed 10379 times
photo_2020-09-18_13-25-13.jpg
photo_2020-09-18_13-25-13.jpg (205.5 KiB) Viewed 10379 times
Quimicax

I Put New One With Fan With Thermostat
I used to drive for a long time and the temperature almost reached 100c (212)

With New Oil Cooler And Fan With Thersmostate

Only Hit 75c(167f) ~ 80c(176f)

Fan Is Turn On when it approaches 85c (185f)

Kizashi GTS 2013 AWD
DRL Off / Foglights Without Headlights

Ford Explorer Sport 2013
350Rwhp

Nissan Xtrail 2017
SAEED_KIZZY

Quimicax wrote:I Put New One With Fan With Thermostat
I used to drive for a long time and the temperature almost reached 100c (212)

With New Oil Cooler And Fan With Thersmostate

Only Hit 75c(167f) ~ 80c(176f)

Fan Is Turn On when it approaches 85c (185f)

interesting setup.
but if some how fan blown or thermostat broken what happens next?
Ronzuki

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: but if some how fan blown or thermostat broken what happens next?
Same thing as an engine coolant radiator w/an electric fan that takes a dump, it overheats. In a CVT, that equals very bad. I'd keep the stock cooler in place and add the secondary w/ the electric fan in series.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
hillji

Thanks for all you that are contributing here. I just decided to look here about CVT failures on Kizi's and have learned so much. I always relied on the manual that say's "your good for life" on your CVT fluid. Well I guess that isn't so.

Getting ready to drop my pan and change the filters with confidence thanks to these posts. My local dealer up here in Canada is well, not very helpful. My 2011 FWD SE ? has only about 75,000 miles on it, and I don't really beat on the car, so I'm expecting to be in good shape after this maintenance.

I love my Kizashi. I actually just bought it back from somebody who changed the engine but decided not to keep it. You see the engine blew last year due a lack of oil.....maintenance induced failure by me, coupled with by my 18 year old driving it until it seized. ughh. :facepalm: So I just sold the 2015 Mazda 3 that I bought to replace the Kizi, and the Kizi is coming home this weekend. I am questioning my sanity getting rid of a reliable, newer, lower mileage vehicle, but after a year in the Mazda, when I hopped into the rebuilt Kizi and spun it up a dirt road, i knew the Mazda had to go. Thanks again !
AFerran1

Hi everybody. Following up on this thread: does anybody know the thread pitch of the drain plug? I've used these posts to have an idea on how to do the CVT drain on my '13 SX4. I have ALL the materials needed, but I'd like to change the plug to a magnetic one. BTW: what size is the pan magnet (if any)?