Replacment brakes

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
alarman

Just wondering if anyone has replaced their brakes yet? My car has almost 30k miles on it and they are getting low. Any feelings on OEM vs. aftermarket? Or does any recommendation on quality aftermarket brake pads?
Ronzuki

The Kiz's brakes are manufactured by Akebono (sp?). I have seen them at one of the chain stores (Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto) I forget which one I stumbled across that had them. Call around and ask for them by name.....somebody has them.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
alarman

I checked with my local dealership and found out the rear brake pads list for $209.00 and the fronts $165.00 plus labor to install them. I have no idea what they are made from but that is quite a bit for brake pads. I know dealerships are a little higher price but I like OEM. Guess its going to be aftermarket for my brakes.
Triggerhappy

That's way too much for Akebono brake pads, they should cost about $60. You can save money by installing the pads yourself. I cross referenced the pads from other manufacturers and the Kizashi's front brakes are similar to the Nissan Maxima, Rouge, and Sentra. Akebono makes the ACT1338 for the Nissans which might fit our Kizashi.
Attachments
akebono.jpg
akebono.jpg (27.78 KiB) Viewed 18102 times
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
WESHOOT2

Been searching for my own; want more bite and better fade resistance.
I'm gonna try these when it's time: http://brakeperformance.com/brake-rotor ... rotors.php

I'll be testing the dimpled / slotted version (cross-drilled lose too much strength in our bitter cold).
alarman

I was on the same site looking and the prices look good. I don't know alot about the cross-drilled/slotted or dimpled/slotted. I heard they cause the pads to wear faster is this true?
WESHOOT2

I had slotted Brembo rotors (stock Subaru pads) on the front of my 2007 Impreza. 'Bite' and braking force were noticeably increased, and no notice was made of increased pad wear, or noise, or dust, or any other detriment.

I'm going to go with the 'dimpled'/slotted when my Kizashi needs new whoa, because I'm hoping the increased surface area of the dimpling enhances fade resistance.
The slots wipe off gasing that occurs between rotor and pad, increasing braking bite.
BxKizashiS

Stage 2 ebc slotted rotors with green stuff pads on mine :-)
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
KuroNekko

I'm going with Akebonos again once my OE pads wear out. However, I will try the Euro pads instead of the OE which I believe are the ProACTs.
The Euros are said to be superior though I usually see them listed around the same price as the ProACTs.
I like Akebono pads because they bite decently yet don't have much brake dust. No doubt that there are more aggressive and sport-oriented pads, but many eat up the rotor fast and blacken the wheels fast from brake dust. That was the case with Hawk HPS pads I once tried on my Impreza.
Given I don't really use my brakes aggressively, I'm going to stick with the Akebonos.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
koii25

Triggerhappy wrote:That's way too much for Akebono brake pads, they should cost about $60. You can save money by installing the pads yourself. I cross referenced the pads from other manufacturers and the Kizashi's front brakes are similar to the Nissan Maxima, Rouge, and Sentra. Akebono makes the ACT1338 for the Nissans which might fit our Kizashi.
yes. nissan's maxima front brake pad will fit. i just replace mine with 2010 maxima front pad. the rear pad i picked up at honda dealer was 2000 civic si. they all the same.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-02-25-11-43-42.png
Screenshot_2015-02-25-11-43-42.png (258.62 KiB) Viewed 16108 times
Screenshot_2015-02-25-11-39-39.png
Screenshot_2015-02-25-11-39-39.png (268.68 KiB) Viewed 16108 times