Best way to get dealer stickers off?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Hawkzilla

I was a moron and forget to tell them to keep their dealer stickers off my ride, so now I need to know if there is a way to get them off without damaging the finish?
Kizashi SLS CVT Azure Gray Metallic
gaww

A hair dryer to loosen it up and then carefully pull it off.
Hawkzilla

Will I need "goo-gone" or anything? Thanks for the tip!
NJKizashi

Goo-Gone will help...I used it to take the rear Suzuki "S" & the word Suzuki off my rear end....just be patient, scrape the residue with a plastic object..obviouslt nothing metal on the paint...the edge of an old credit card works good.
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:Will I need "goo-gone" or anything? Thanks for the tip!
Try the dryer first and the chemicals if there is still residue. I would not try to simply pull it off first - you could take some paint with it.
Hawkzilla

Thanks for the advice guys. So the heat from the dryer will not hurt the paint, correct? I'm worried with the paint issues people are having that I will peel paint off with it.
aragon20

I know my car's paint just sucks but I used goo be gone to get the sticker off and now the paint isn't as shiny there as everywhere else. I made sure to wipe all of it off and used just enough to get it started. I've done this with my other vehicles and it has been fine. Is this just my messed up paint again or is goo be gone not safe to use on cars?
gaww

Hawkzilla wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. So the heat from the dryer will not hurt the paint, correct? I'm worried with the paint issues people are having that I will peel paint off with it.
If you can handle the hot sticker - it is nowhere close to hot enough to hurt the paint. Your start on one corner, and then slowly pull it as it softens as you work the heat across the surface.

It sounds like if there is some sticky glue left - do not use goo-be-gone. I would suggest a bug and tar remover that is labeled to be safe on painted surfaces (most are).
KCKizashi

I forgot to tell my dealer to leave off the "advertisement" but luckily I got to it within 24 hours. it was a plastic faceplate so there was room behind it so I took some dental floss and went behind the plastic then easily "sawed" back and forth to loosen the double-sided sticky tape. Once I got it started, I lifted the plastic away from the paint at about a 45degree angle and kept slow but constant pressure on it. It eventually pulled itself away from the paint without leaving a trace.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
TheHolyGhost

I was going to say, heat and floss are great. After that I'd recommend bug and tar remover as mentioned. Lastly, if you still can't get it off, try a clay bar, they're more for grit in the paint and stuff, but I have had success, just make sure you keep the area wet with the spray the bar comes with. Also, make sure you wax the area after pulling off the badges.
Last edited by TheHolyGhost on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES