Headlight Bulb Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KlutzNinja

I read this entire thread before I began posting in it and I caught the tip about replacing in pairs, which I did when I finally got around to it on Tuesday after work. But thank you anyway. I prefer video tutorials over pictures but I do appreciate the detail you put into your thread, Kuro.
Removing the bumper wasn’t the daunting part for me so much as the notion of putting it back on lol. Although like another member here admitted, I tend to break plastics pretty easily, so that was my main concern going in.

I didn’t use a jack, but instead had a Swiss Army knife with a Phillips head that allowed for very low clearance use. For the fender screws and the hex screws on top, I had a multi tool that could switch out tips as needed. Used a plastic pry tool for the black plastic rivets over the flat headlight covers. Finally I had a large towel for laying on when working on my side to get the bumper screws off, and to rest the bumper on once dislodged.
I found that I am missing one of the silver screws with the washer, and possibly some of the nearby smaller screws you don’t need to undo for this procedure; is it too much to ask for a used car that has all of its nuts and bolts? lol.

The new Hella halogen bulbs are working quite well for what they are. There was definitely a difference between the new one on the left and the old functional one on the right. When I removed the right bulb, it looked worse than the nonfunctional bulb :lol:.

Putting the bumper back on was a bit challenging because I didn’t realize until after like 10-15 minutes of trying that the thin panels on the bottom of the car have to be above the bumper. In the time I unsuccessfully tried to replace the bumper I only focused on getting the fit right with the headlights and fender panels. It also didn’t help that the garage light above me went out due to a timer at 10pm, but at least now I know not to work on my car at that time of night. I’d like to think things would have gone a bit quicker if I wasn’t working in near darkness, with only the garage lights in the distance and my phone light to help me (which is tricky when you’re doing two-handed tasks).

Ultimately I feel much more confident in getting this task done in quicker fashion the next time I have to do it. Here’s to hoping it’s later rather than sooner haha. Thanks for all the tips in this thread; they definitely helped along with the YouTube tutorial.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
BLyons

Those silver screws seem to fall out fairly easily. I have to replace at least one every year.
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Spreekid

BLyons wrote:Those silver screws seem to fall out fairly easily. I have to replace at least one every year.
Any chance you know what kind of screws they are and where they are sold?

I replaced my headlights about a month ago and it was very difficult for me because all of the metal screws on the bottom had rusted in. I had to break 4-5 screws just to get the bumper off. Then once I got into the headlight the bulb wouldn’t go in lol. I finally got it in and then a different light was out after testing the new headlight. By now I had been working on this for upwards of 3 hours and decided to put the bumper back on with the light out (and only 5 screws) as I didn’t have a replacement bulb.
BLyons

Spreekid wrote:
BLyons wrote:Those silver screws seem to fall out fairly easily. I have to replace at least one every year.
Any chance you know what kind of screws they are and where they are sold?

I replaced my headlights about a month ago and it was very difficult for me because all of the metal screws on the bottom had rusted in. I had to break 4-5 screws just to get the bumper off. Then once I got into the headlight the bulb wouldn’t go in lol. I finally got it in and then a different light was out after testing the new headlight. By now I had been working on this for upwards of 3 hours and decided to put the bumper back on with the light out (and only 5 screws) as I didn’t have a replacement bulb.
Should be this one https://partsouq.com/es/search/all?q=0913605068
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
crabcancer

Apologies for reviving this old thread.

For the screws, apart from Suzuki, are there any alternate suppliers? Am in Western Australia and there is only ONE suzuki dealer!

Read the thread, thanks for the tips and pointers on how to remove, testing etc.

While testing realised that the W5W bulb blew. I just need to know HOW THE HECK am I suppose to reach in and get it out? They are definitely too deep for normal fingers, the needle nose I have cannot grasp it. I know Suzuki Kizashi drivers are suppose to be triple jointed and small hands but this is ridiculous.

And yes, have contemplated chopsticks as well. No grip!

Any help is and will be appreciated.
Kizashi MY 13 2.4L
KuroNekko

crabcancer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:40 am Apologies for reviving this old thread.

For the screws, apart from Suzuki, are there any alternate suppliers? Am in Western Australia and there is only ONE suzuki dealer!

Read the thread, thanks for the tips and pointers on how to remove, testing etc.

While testing realised that the W5W bulb blew. I just need to know HOW THE HECK am I suppose to reach in and get it out? They are definitely too deep for normal fingers, the needle nose I have cannot grasp it. I know Suzuki Kizashi drivers are suppose to be triple jointed and small hands but this is ridiculous.

With the Kizashi's headlights, you pretty much need to remove the front bumper and also the headlights from the car to really get the access you need. Sounds like a joke but it's sadly not. Due to the lack of space to reach in to handle the bulbs, you really need to remove the bumper and headlights. Some have ways of loosening the bumper and headlights instead of going all the way and taking them off.
This is a major reason I advocate HID and LED bulbs for this car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
crabcancer

KuroNekko wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:16 pm
crabcancer wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:40 am Apologies for reviving this old thread.

With the Kizashi's headlights, you pretty much need to remove the front bumper and also the headlights from the car to really get the access you need. Sounds like a joke but it's sadly not. Due to the lack of space to reach in to handle the bulbs, you really need to remove the bumper and headlights. Some have ways of loosening the bumper and headlights instead of going all the way and taking them off.
This is a major reason I advocate HID and LED bulbs for this car.
Yeap did all that. What I trying to do is replace the W5W bulb. That is the bulb that is beside the H7 headlights. The lights that come on when you click your light stalk only once. I cannot figure how to remove it from the housing as it is sitting too deep for my stubby fingers, my needle nose cannot reach it and more importantly, rotate clockwise/anticlockwise or just yank the bugger out.

At this moment, the right side is blown but my headlights are bright enough so cops not noticing. Which after having being stopped three times this week to do a breath analyzer test, I think I am safe.

Please see crappy photo below.

Many thanks for any help
Kizashi MY 13 2.4L
old tech

This parking light bulb is just a light friction fit . no twist to lock in, just pushes straight in. After its in there for awhile with the heat , it does get stuck in there and really , nothing to grab it by except the wires. What I do is pull out the high beam headlight for better access , take long flat blade screw driver and push the socket in. Next lightly pull on the socket by the wires while bumping and prying and it will come out. A 194 bulb fits here but the original is a heavier duty version. I would only go after this bulb if I were replacing a headlight bulb. Since we have daytime running lights, this bulb is a bit redundant.
KlutzNinja

Friendly reminder that, because the parking light bulbs on both sides are always on together, it’s probably best to replace in sets, like with headlights, reverse lights, the carrot reflector lights on the side of the fender, etc.

… Although this particular bulb location sounds like such a pain to get to that perhaps this is the exception to the rule lol
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

Like Old Tech stated, it's a pull-out and push-in part. You probably don't have Daytime Running Lights though because you are in Australia.
I have a post dedicated to these tiny bulbs called Position Lights. I've changed mine to PIAA LEDs years ago and haven't worried about them since.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2141
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)