Headlight Bulb Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Speed_Racer

Every time I feel bad about my headlights, I'm just glad I don't drive a Subaru. The amount of Subies I see with burned out headlights and/or taillights is astounding!
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
dmitche

JamesFen

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help. I did watch the 1 Series D1S bulb replacement video. It was informative, however, the access for my 2015 seems very difficult through the engine bay.

Is the access through the wheel well where you have to turn the steering to the right to access the left headlight bulb and so forth?
KuroNekko

JamesFen wrote:I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help. I did watch the 1 Series D1S bulb replacement video. It was informative, however, the access for my 2015 seems very difficult through the engine bay.

Is the access through the wheel well where you have to turn the steering to the right to access the left headlight bulb and so forth?
You're referencing a 1 Series and a model year 2015 so just want to first confirm you own a Kizashi. If so, then the front bumper needs to come off so you can remove the headlights. This is the best way to replace the headlight bulbs.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
littlespark

I just replaced both low beam bulbs in my 13 Kizashi WITHOUT removing the bumper
The Passenger size was a breeze, but to get the driver side, I just unplugged the two large wiring harnesses beside the fuse box, then removed the clamp that holds the front size of the fuse box in place.

To remove the fuse box clamp:
- make sure both wiring harnesses are disconnected (to free up space)
- use a short ratchet (With 10mm socket) to remove the bottom bolt (attached to the car frame)
- Pop off the black cap on the top of that holding bracket
- Take out the 10mm bolt inside of that cap
- slide the holding bracket towards the front of the car, to take out that bracket (may need to play around with one of the wiring harnesses to get it out.)

This way, you may get away with sticking your hand inside the headlamp. I have large hands, and could barely push on the bulb clamp.

NOTE: When releasing this bulb clamp, push in, then DOWN on the little metal clamp. I spent too much time thinking it may go up.

Cheers! :D
Christian
motosonic

littlespark wrote:I just replaced both low beam bulbs in my 13 Kizashi WITHOUT removing the bumper
The Passenger size was a breeze, but to get the driver side, I just unplugged the two large wiring harnesses beside the fuse box, then removed the clamp that holds the front size of the fuse box in place.

To remove the fuse box clamp:
- make sure both wiring harnesses are disconnected (to free up space)
- use a short ratchet (With 10mm socket) to remove the bottom bolt (attached to the car frame)
- Pop off the black cap on the top of that holding bracket
- Take out the 10mm bolt inside of that cap
- slide the holding bracket towards the front of the car, to take out that bracket (may need to play around with one of the wiring harnesses to get it out.)

This way, you may get away with sticking your hand inside the headlamp. I have large hands, and could barely push on the bulb clamp.

NOTE: When releasing this bulb clamp, push in, then DOWN on the little metal clamp. I spent too much time thinking it may go up.

Cheers! :D
Christian
OK. ANY chance you can post some pics? or a video? I know.. crazy request, but I'm one of those 0 mechanical ability folks.. so, I gotta see what to do.. lol If this works, You're the man! I've got a 2013 SLS and so far *knock on wood* no lightbulb issues.. but eventually I'll need this!
littlespark

Well im afraid I dont have time to redo the process again, but here are some pictures of the parts refered to:

The wiring harnesses that need to be disconnected:

The top of the fusebox holding bracket. (Removing the small plastic cover exposes the top bolt)[below]

The bolt at the bottom of the fusebox holding bracket[below]

The actual installation of the bulbs are the same as all of the videos posted, except they are done with the headlight assembly still in place.

Hope this helps!

Cheers :D
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (235.85 KiB) Viewed 18841 times
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (291.67 KiB) Viewed 18841 times
motosonic

Awesome, thank you! Oh how I dreaded pulling that front bumper off. lol
LPSISRL

I've had my front bumper off so many times I bet I can replace the bulb faster that way than any other. It literally takes me 5 minutes to get it off and 5 minutes to put it back on. but now since I've replaced my halogens with HIDs, I don't need to replace bulbs anymore. :-)
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
littlespark

Wow LPSISRL, thats impressive! The reason why I opted out from removing the bumper is, whenever I try to remove plastic pieces from a car, I always tend to break some. Is there a trick to not breaking plastic?