Any interest in a USB adaptor for aftermarket head units?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KZChi

11zukizashi wrote:The whole compartment has its own protective door lol. Mine fell inside the dash anyways so when i take it apart to put it back im probably just going to fasten the end of the extension there instead. Challenge accepted for making it fit cleaner than that ugly square boss they put it in :)

So where you able to get in there and fix it? I'm installing my new double din a few days and I was wondering if I could just unplug the factory USB plug and just install the one from the the radio. I took of the old radio and AC controls but I could not get in to see how the oem USB was connected to the port. I really don't know why car manufacturers use proprietary connections like this!?
murcod

It's a custom type USB outlet and a custom plug on the other end (to plug into the factory head unit.) Be careful as it is very easy to accidentally push it through the centre console. If that happens you might be able to reach it through the gear shift boot area (if you've got a manual trans?)

The "solution", for the genuine double DIN GPS headunit, is to supply a replacement blank to fit where the USB outlet is. So you remove your USB outlet and blank it off, then run leads into the glovebox that float around loose!? No thanks Suzuki. :x
David
11zukizashi

KZChi wrote:
11zukizashi wrote:The whole compartment has its own protective door lol. Mine fell inside the dash anyways so when i take it apart to put it back im probably just going to fasten the end of the extension there instead. Challenge accepted for making it fit cleaner than that ugly square boss they put it in :)

So where you able to get in there and fix it?
Nope its probably next to the radio screw that fell into the abyss that is the inside of my center console
sal002

Back to the original topic - I am interested in this. I am about to replace my OEM radio and want to keep everything as stock looking as possible.
murcod

I'll look into it again and see if I can source the parts at a reasonable cost.
David
murcod

Okay any feed back or suggestions would be appreciated. The plug price will be a problem, but the whole "unit" shouldn't be too expensive to sell (hopefully it can be kept to ~AUS$20 plus postage?)

From what I've seen most aftermarket units generally have a USB A female flying lead for the input?

ie.

So, I'll be looking at putting a compatible male USB A plug onto a small plastic box with the correct Suzuki USB socket on the other end.

ie.

That will make it "plug and play" for anyone capable of removing the factory head unit to gain access to the relevant cables. Oh yeah, I've worked in the electronics industry for 27 years so it will be a professional job inside the box.

As I said, any feedback will be welcome- even if it's just "I wouldn't pay that price for it." :)
David
11zukizashi

Here is the pin layout for the proprietary socket
Attachments
usb copy.jpg
usb copy.jpg (90.67 KiB) Viewed 7523 times
murcod

Interesting, it's got the same plug on the back of it. I didn't examine mine closely when it popped through the console as it's really hard to access.

No feedback on the adapter from anyone?
David
jza80

I would be interested if you decide to build these. Thanks.
KZChi

Hey guys, this is not an answer for an adapter, but what I did when I installed my aftermarket double din was just cut the USB cable that plugged into the back of the factory radio and soldered a male USB connection that would connect to the female USB from the double din. USB has only 4 wires within the cable and they seem to be most of the time the same colors in most USB cables, all I did was just connect the same colors. I don't consider myself an experienced DIYer when it comes to car radio install, but this was pretty easy. Of course I saved the factory plug just in case one day I needed to connect the factory radio again.