Anyone Installed the XM Module themselves?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
KCKizashi

here's the image of the XM kit off of SuzukiAuto.com. The plugs on the larger black cable look like it might just plug into the back of the RF system, and the amount of the cable looks like it might be about 6' to 10' long, so it seems to me (best guess) that the car is not pre-wired for XM, just the stereo. My only other question is the XM box has two "square" shaped inputs, but the cable has only two, so one on each end. Of course it's hard to troubleshoot this from a media photo. I may just call the service department and ask if they've installed an XM kit yet and "play dumb" about what all it involves, where it gets mounted, etc.
Attachments
Kiz_XM.jpg
Kiz_XM.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
TheHolyGhost

Yea, doesn't seem like something that's just gonna get hooked up in the trunk. That's unfortunate. Make sure you do a walkthrough when you disassemble your dash :D . Seriously though, looks like that could be some serious work.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
sloopercat

TheHolyGhost wrote:I agree that it's a little disappointing that they don't have it. I guess they thought the iPod/USB support was enough. Until you get a look at the back of the stereo it'll be tough to tell what's possible. Do you have an XM tuner? Most of those broadcast over FM. It's not the best solution, and it's not as clean, but it's a cheaper option than the install.
No modulator for me, I have a Samsung Nexxus, fully self contained portable. I also have a car mount. I have used a modulator style and found it lacking in sound quality, plus you always had to search around for a clean frequency when traveling.
KCKizashi

TheHolyGhost wrote:Yea, doesn't seem like something that's just gonna get hooked up in the trunk. That's unfortunate. Make sure you do a walkthrough when you disassemble your dash :D . Seriously though, looks like that could be some serious work.
I agree. I removed the gray molded panels in the trunk looking for pre-wiring locations but no go. As an FYI- the Rockford Fosgate amplifier is installed vertically on the right side of the trunk.
TheHolyGhost

Good to know. Seems like a few people are having issues with those.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
lookin

the xm module just connects to to back of radio and you find a space behind the dash to mount it dont have to go in trunk there should be plenty of space behind dash to mount its a hideaway unit you already have wire just connect ..also antennae connection mount on dash or some people like to put it outside...its really not difficult just got to figure out how to pull dash to get to back of radio..its plug n play
KCKizashi

lookin wrote:the xm module just connects to to back of radio and you find a space behind the dash to mount it dont have to go in trunk there should be plenty of space behind dash to mount its a hideaway unit you already have wire just connect ..also antennae connection mount on dash or some people like to put it outside...its really not difficult just got to figure out how to pull dash to get to back of radio..its plug n play
Thanks Lookin, that gets me a little futher. What I'm trying to do is connect an existing XM module from a different car to the Kizzy. I know the pin-outs for my XM module, but trying to find the pin-outs on the Rockford Fosgate.
lookin

ok understood well im not sure if the pin outs are the same but it should be either way the outputs are gonna be in the back of fosgate unit ..just pull dash ...im gonna do the same thing soon but im putting in my own navigation,xm and backup camera just bought the face trim from dealer...
lookin

KCKizashi wrote:
lookin wrote:the xm module just connects to to back of radio and you find a space behind the dash to mount it dont have to go in trunk there should be plenty of space behind dash to mount its a hideaway unit you already have wire just connect ..also antennae connection mount on dash or some people like to put it outside...its really not difficult just got to figure out how to pull dash to get to back of radio..its plug n play
Thanks Lookin, that gets me a little futher. What I'm trying to do is connect an existing XM module from a different car to the Kizzy. I know the pin-outs for my XM module, but trying to find the pin-outs on the Rockford Fosgate.
you know what if you could see the wire from suzuki you would see what pin outs it have it should be the same as your unit these things are usually universal
KCKizashi

I can tell by the picture of the cable I posted earlier the plug is not the same as what my module is. What I'm looking for is the schema that says Pin1 is power, Pin2 is Ground, Pin3 is not used, etc. with that, I can pull a McGyver (Or McGruber) and custom wire it. Just be sure to take LOTS of pictures when you disassemble your dash. That information will be very helpful to a lot of us on here. Thanks!