Anyone Installed the XM Module themselves?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
TheHolyGhost

It's disappointing that there isn't even a picture of the back of the radio so you can see what the available connections are.

Pandora via Bluetooth is free and/or Grooveshark which is $3/month but lets you create your own playlists. I know it's not a solution, but I've been pretty happy with the results.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
BrashL

Anyone willing to pull their radio to find out?

I'm not ready to let this go, I really want a clean solution. From looking at the service manual, I get the impression that something has been pre-installed under the roof lining. Could that possibly be an antenna? If so then at least I could get my xMP3 hooked up without too much trouble.
2010 Kizashi GTS
AWD CVT
Black Pearl Metallic
BrashL

An update but not a solution.

I looked in the XM Direct unit Audiovox sells (http://www.xmradio.com/xmdirect2/index.xmc) hoping it might be a cheaper solution. I was successful in getting the OEM Manufacturer and Part # (Clarion and 39101-57L00-GMP if anyone cares), however a call to Audiovox confirmed that that unit will only work with aftermarket receivers. :evil:

Unless anyone has some other ideas it looks like it's either $600 OEM Module or FM Modulator. Neither makes me happy but what can you do? The term "XM Ready" should be illegal because it's totally meaningless. I could install a new head unit in an old El Camino and add XM Direct for < $600. EVERY car is "XM Ready"!
2010 Kizashi GTS
AWD CVT
Black Pearl Metallic
autopiolet

I agree, I assumed the XM ready meant that all you had to do was order a subscription. The salesman thought that the XM in the test car I drove just needed a subscription as well. It did not take me long, however, before I realized I knew more about the Kazashi than the dealer! Several people at the dealer could not par my cell to the blue tooth and then the dealer owner pared it in no time. The dealer has been very responsive to me so I can't put them down for not knowing much about it. I am teaching them about the car-I guess my addiction to cars is paying off in a small way :lol:
lookin

well i could say that the headunit from my sls even though its fosgate on the back it says made by panasonic i installed a kenwood head unit with navigation not the one suzuki is offering but the lastest model steering wheel controls still work and i got xm...i was gonna videotape the process but the guy bailed on me not very hard though
TheHolyGhost

Can you post a picture of the back of your Rockford unit lookin?
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
babacu

lookin wrote: i installed a kenwood head unit with navigation not the one suzuki is offering but the lastest model steering wheel controls still work and i got xm...i was gonna videotape the process but the guy bailed on me not very hard though
Would you mind sharing some details about that unit? What model is it, where did you get it from, a link/price, eventually? Thx.
lookin

@holyghost i promised to put the pics up tomorrow hope i could get some clear pics..........my nav unit is a kenwood 9960 i bought the face piece from suzuki and installed it its an expensive unit paid 1400 for it though msrp 1800 you can go to kenwood and check it out yourself ..the unit suzuki uses i think is 9920 which is a good unit but old but i wanted the latest that unit is about 600 if you could find it..i also do believe with the fosgate unit they set it up to use xm from suzuki so they could beat you in the head with the price i guess but i guess they is somebody out there who probably could splice the connection good luck getting the connectors though..but not impossible ..the better kenwood units can be bought all over the internet cheaper but you probably lose the warranty also you dont have to use kenwood pioneer also make good units much cheaper but i happen to think kenwood sounds better and kenwood uses garmin navigation even though i have no problem with pioneer navigation its just that garmin is the brand name and all of us with kizashi should know by now brand name is not that serious
lookin

ok heres the pics of unit sorry if too big i dont really know how to make smaller
Attachments
connections at back of radio
connections at back of radio
rear connections.JPG (20.41 KiB) Viewed 8137 times
lookin

if pics not good enough let me know i took with my phone i could redo if necessary
Attachments
this is what i replaced
this is what i replaced