Anyone Installed the XM Module themselves?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
lookin

tag on inside of radio made by panasonic maybe fosgate partners with them
Attachments
fosgate on the outside but really a panasonic unit
fosgate on the outside but really a panasonic unit
TheHolyGhost

Thanks lookin, hopefully someone with an XM Unit can see if and of the plugs on the back look familiar.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
KCKizashi

lookin wrote:ok heres the pics of unit sorry if too big i dont really know how to make smaller
Thanks for the pics Lookin. Can you tell us when you removed the Rockford Fosgate head-unit, which of these connectors were used and which one(s) were empty?
Based on another photo I posted earlier in this thread it looks like the XM connector is square in shape.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
KCKizashi

lookin wrote:tag on inside of radio made by panasonic maybe fosgate partners with them

Based on the information in this picture, I contacted Panasonic and asked for a schematic. Here's their response:
Thank you for your email.

The model number that you have referenced is a product that is produced specifically for the car manufacturer. Although the product is labeled manufactured by Panasonic, it was made to meet the specifications of the car manufacturer and considered an original component (OEM) of the vehicle. For this reason the product is supported by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Please contact the corporate offices of the car dealership for information regarding the product.

We hope this information is useful to you.
molten

+1......

Got an SLS for the wife last week....
Called Sirius and they said no radio in the car.....

Oh...the salesman thought it was in the car....

Other than that we both love the car.....
2010 Blue SLS
Florida, USA
KCKizashi

molten wrote:+1......

Got an SLS for the wife last week....
Called Sirius and they said no radio in the car.....

Oh...the salesman thought it was in the car....

Other than that we both love the car.....
the Rockford Fosgate is "XM Ready" and requires a separate tuner purchased from Suzuki for $500. Oh, installation will probably be extra. ;)
ben-gal-fan

this cable used by the XM Direct2 looks pretty darn close to the one on the Suzuki tuner. At least on the side that would plug into the back on the head unit. The other end obviously goes to the XM Direct 2 tuner.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictures ... ture_id=-1
Firefly

KCKizashi wrote:
lookin wrote:tag on inside of radio made by panasonic maybe fosgate partners with them

Based on the information in this picture, I contacted Panasonic and asked for a schematic. Here's their response:
Thank you for your email.

The model number that you have referenced is a product that is produced specifically for the car manufacturer. Although the product is labeled manufactured by Panasonic, it was made to meet the specifications of the car manufacturer and considered an original component (OEM) of the vehicle. For this reason the product is supported by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Please contact the corporate offices of the car dealership for information regarding the product.

We hope this information is useful to you.
Just to clarify - Rockford Fosgate is the separate amp and speakers, not the head unit. The logo is on there to show they are featured in the system. The Panasonic (or the Kenwood in the Nav equipped cars) is simply a pre-amp, or a control panel, which sends the audio out to the Rockford amp.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
sloopercat

Sad thing is, it is cheaper to replace with an aftermarket head unit than to install the XM module.
NiteRider

Old topic I know, but I found a good deal for a XM module for $225 instead of the $500 that it was being sold for:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty