waxing

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
lookin

did any of you guys applied wax to your kizashi if so was it a hand waxing or did you use a buffer,,,,i heard buffers are not good is this true....does a new car need wax....i dont think my dealer waxed mine as i could see the line from the plastics they removed..nothing bad but i could see it
Moto
Site Admin

Buffing compound would be a very bad idea to use on a new car. It will take off your clear coat. Only use buffing compound after a few years to take off any oxidation and or minor scratches. If you get too carried away it can even damage your paint.

I still use turtle wax. (The really thick stuff in the round tub) I used the really expensive black magic stuff last summer and it really isn't a lot better.

Make sure your car is 100% spotless before you start. No half ass wash will do before you wax or any spots you leave will be in your car forever. (or you will need buffing compound to get spots out :))

I try to wax my car twice a year. (spring and fall) It stops your paint from fading and protects your paint from corrosion and oxidation. It might even help a little with the chipping problem. (probably not)

Make sure you don't get any wax on any plastics because it is very hard to get off.

Waxing isn't 100% necessary, but if you leave your car in the sun much or drive in the salt it is a very good idea.
lookin

ok thanks so i guess a hand polishing will do,,,,,also i dont have any paint chip issue .....
TheHolyGhost

Hand waxing should be fine as long as you keep your car reasonably clean and wax a few times a year. You shouldn't even need cleaner wax, polish etc. Regular wax should do for at least a couple of years, unless there's some spot touch up that needs to be done for some particularly stubborn tree sap or something like that.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
lookin

what do you mean regular wax ,,,do you mean turtle wax like moto said
TheHolyGhost

Turtle Wax, Meguiar's, whatever, I just mean you won't need cleaner wax or polish. Cleaner wax and polish are grittier and will remove swirl marks, in ground dirt, etc. You really shouldn't need that on a new finish. Regular wax will be fine.
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
SX4toKizashi

You might want to use clay bar before waxing it for the first time. Even though your car is brand new it is possible for the paint to already have contaminants on it. Using a clay bar will remove anything in between the top coat and the wax/sealant you are going to apply. (I used Mothers California Gold Clay Bar. This is a non-abrasive clay bar therefore, safe for the top coat). You only need to use clay bar once or twice a year as necessary.

When I got my white Kizashi it had a few dots of rust stains. These stains are from dust of metal shavings that lands on the car and rusts leaving a nasty mark especially if the car hasn't been waxed before. These stains aren't visible in dark colored cars. Anyways, the clay bar got rid of all stains and contaminants in my paint leaving a glass like texture.

After using clay bar you will then need to apply wax. I suggest you use a good quality polymer wax since they last longer than Carnuba waxes. - I use 3M Performance Finish on mine. Try to wax every painted surface possible including door jams and rims. Also protect all external plastics and rubbers including door seals, headlights and tail lights with Aerospace 303 (or Turtle Wax Ice) to protect them from UV rays and to keep them looking new. You can also use Aerospace 303 on the all plastic and rubber components in the engine bay to keep the new look for many years to come.

For the interior I use Turtle Wax ICE Total Interior Care. This is a very nice product it cleans, protects and leaves a non-greasy shine and fresh new car like scent. If you have leather seats clean it well and put leather conditioner once a month... this is a must if you want leather seats to last long. Top off all non-fabric interior surfaces with Aerospace 303 for more UV protection.

If still have the energy and want to do more then protect the carpet and mats with 3M carpet protector. It should protect your carpet and mats from dirt, stains and wear&tear. This is the first time I used this product so I can't really tell how effective it is. If ever you get white spots on your carpet when it dries just vacuum it well and it should come off.

Don't for get to clean the windows and mirrors! Once cleaned apply Rainx or Aquapel to all exterior of the windows.

Last but not the least, Blacken the tire with Turtle Wax Ice Tire Shine or with Aerospace 303.

Disclaimer :D - I am no guru but I used to work in a car detailing shop. All products mentioned above are my personal preference based on price and effectiveness. There are always better products out there.
lookin

ahhh thats what im talking about...thank you
KCKizashi

Excellent write-up SX4.. I'm headed out with my shopping list now!! Thanks!
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
JDReichert

Well, here's my two cents worth on the subject. I am a collector of show cars, Mercedes-Benz 1977 280SL, 1970 Jaguar XKE, 1983 BMW 633CSi coupe etc and my personal recommendation is products sold by "Griot's Garage". Their web page is www.griotsgarage.com. They are mail order and the best products money can buy. They cost more than the store products but are garranteed unconditionally. They also provide you with a DVD on how to apply all their products. I highly recommend their Random Orbital polisher with all their products. Use their pads with this polisher. It never leaves any marks and you can not harm the paint (clear coat) no matter how hard you press. They will send you a free color cadalog if you ask. The "Best of Show" wax is the finest you can get and it works easy, not hard like so many others. When the Suzuki factory paint manager visited last month he was so impressed by the paint shine on our car he photographed both the car and all the Griot products I use. griot's sell everything for your car care. The leather conditioner is excellent. I use it excluively on my show cars and the interiors look like the day they were built. The leather stays soft and never discolors. Give it a try or at least take a look. Best of luck for caring for these unusual automobiles. :D :D :D

Jerry