waxing

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Jezza

I've got a black Kizashi so you know what sort of work I have ahead of me to keep my new pride and joy nice and shiny.

I washed it on the weekend and as usual could see swirl marks in the paint (most noticeable under fluro's). Had to clean a hand print later, so i grabbed some 'Mr Sheen' (Household cleaner/polish used to clean various hard surfaces, most Australians will be aware of it) to clean it and paint felt so smooth after I kept going and did the whole car. Swirl marks gone, paint was so shiny and felt so slick, dust could be easily wiped off with a terry cloth. Was as good a result as car polishes I'd used on other cars in the past.

I'd used Mr Sheen on my motorbikes in the past but never thought to use it on my cars. Quite impressed with the result really, and will continue to use it until someone gives a good reason why I shouldn't. Very easy to use, didn't take that long and is relatively cheap too.

Jezza
TheHolyGhost

I'm not sure what Mr. Sheen is, but I've heard a lot of people swear by this stuff as a final paint treatment after waxing. I haven't used it yet so I can't say personally.

2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
autopiolet

[youtube][/youtube]
I found this video about Mr Sheen. I don't know if this link will work as I've not tried to post a link before.
Last edited by TheHolyGhost on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added youtube tag
AlexRuiz

I have been a longtime member at the autopia forums (autopia.org) and if you want to really get into car detailing, it is not a bad idea to join there. Be warned, however, it is addictive, and you will become extreme about detailing.

There are hundreds of products available to keep a car shiny, but the most important lesson learned there is that paint preparation is the most important step While a nice assortment of high end products is usual among autopians, we stress the importance of process over product. Pinnacle souveran (~$100) and other boutique products will do nothing for a neglected finish, and even a humble OTC wax will look great over properly prepared paint.

SX4toKizashi, JDReichter and Moto gave some goods tips, I will try to expand. The Kizashi is a new model, the cars are basically new. However, not because the cars are new means the paint doesn't need care. In fact, new paint needs probably the most attention:

* Cars are moved through train, and rail dust will inevitably land on the paint, adhering to it. These are the little tiny iron "rusting" dots easily visible on the white and silver colors. Not so easy to spot on darker colors, but they are there. If the car has been on the lot for more than a few days, the rail dust oxidation will eventually extend to the clear coat. It is imperative to take them out.

* Cars washed at the dealers are probably washed using not paint friendly methods (there are testimonials on autopia about even kitchen brooms...) The paint WILL have tons of spiderwebs and swirl marks at best.

* Very likely, if "detailed" when delivered, the dealer folks used a filler (glaze). In some cases, they will buff with wool pads using a rotary. The car looks shiny in the shade, but in direct sunlight you will see the spiderwebs, swirls marks and even holograms. If glazed, the nice paint turns into a mess after a wash (when the glaze falls off, think about it as make-up ;))

So, plan on a whole day to prepare the new paint. Make sure you can rest after the process is done. If you want, take shome pictures of the car after it has been ben washed (before) and after it is polished and waxed (after)

1) Make a trip to autozone, o'reilly or advance auto before starting. Get
a) Car wash soap, avoid the cheapest ones, they lack lubricity. Eagle one, NXT good choices
b) Clay bar kit (mothers, meguiars or clay magic)
c) Sheepskin wash mitt (microfiber wash pad acceptable as alternative, no sponges)
d) Drying microfiber towel, the viking one is great.
e) Paint microfiber towels, again, avoid the cheapest ones. Turtle was ice or viking
f) How much time want to spend waxing? One step and done, or you don't mind 2 or more steps? If one step, your choice of wax. MUST be cleaner wax, but pretty much eveything OTC is a cleaner wax. NXT and ICE have very light cleaners, mother california gold has stronger cleaners. If 2 steps, get a paint cleanser (mother or meguiars) or a fine polish (turtle wax premium polish, the one in the plastic tube, avoid the turtle wax in the can, those are sandpaper in paste...)and your wax.
g) Foam pads and terry pads.
g) Optional, glass cleaner, tire shine and interior detailer. Waffle weave microfiber glass towel, tire swipes and more microfiber towels (the cheap ones work fine here, they are for interior duty)

2) Wash the car by hand, using the "2 bucket" method. One bucket with the soap solution (1 ounce per gallon of water) and one with water only. Rinse whole car, get mitt in soap bucket, start at the top (roof) When done with the panel, rinse mitt in rinse bucket. Get the mitt in soap bucket, take one or 2 more panels, going top to bottom. Rinse mitt in rinse bucket after each panel. Rinse whole car.

3) Dry car with drying towel.

4) Grab the clay bar. Star at the top, use the included lubricant and go with the clay bar starting again at the top. Do a section of aprox 1' by 1", then move to another one. You will feel the difference. Don't skimp on the lubricant. Depending on how much rail dust there is accumulated, this step will take between 1-3 hours. Be patient, it is very important to take about as much raildust as possible. If you run out of lubricant, plain water can be used as substitute. A car in decent shape can be clayed in as little as 10 minutes, but a NEW car from the lot is not in decent shape.

5) Despite marketing, clay bar is abrasive. There will be micromarring of the paint. Grab the polish or paint cleanser, apply a line to a terry pad, start polishing at the top again. Rubbing juts in circles with firm pressure will do the trick, no need to break the arms. Do sections of 2' by 2', remove polish with a paint towel after each section is done. The paint will look more radiant. Between 40 and 60 minutes.

6) You will be amazed at the difference. If you took pictures of before and after you will think the car is done. It is not. We still have to wax it. Grab a foam pad, apply some wax to the pad, as little as possible, and spread it on the paint, trying to make as thin of a coat as possible. Less is better. Newer waxes don't stain plastic, and are extremely easy to remove. No need to rub hard, just spread it thinly. Do the whole car, then remove using the paint towels. It is even shinier than after step 5! Waxing should take no more than 15 minutes.

7) Still have energy and got the optional items? Do the glass, spray and clean. Then, use the interior detailer and do the interior. Mist the towel, clean surface, then clean again with dry towel. Wash tires and apply dressing. Not too much or it will sling.

8) Bonus points: Wash the wheel wheels, clean the door jambs and clean the pedals.

Now it really looks like a new car :)

Alex
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
JDReichert

:D :D Great wright-up Alex,

As a member of the worlds largest car museum (LeMay's 2700 cars) you have provided every thing a car owner needs to care for their toy.

Thanks, Jerry - 2010 SLS, 1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL, 1983 BMW 633CSi
Ronzuki

Alex...I'll assume this is why the car your sold prior to obtaining the Kizashi looks so good for its age!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
mapeterson2

If you guys don't mind spending some money on really good products, check out Adam's Car Care products. They are huge here in Cali among American Muscle car owners along with a lot of European Exotics.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/
2005 Pontiac GTO - 375 rwhp
2001 Ford Ranger XLT - Stock w/ 6 inch lift
TheHolyGhost

Great information, Alex. Thanks a lot!
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
AlexRuiz

Thanks for the comments guys! I was detailing addict, but I am in recovery ;)
Yes, the old car got well cared, and the Kizashi will also get nice treatment.

The suggestion given by Jerry and mapeterson about Griot's and Adam's products will look great is a Kizashi. T

The Griot's orbital is a great deal and the bundled package provides all the necessary stuff to start polishing with machine. The rest of their stuff is very well regarded. The orbital is a must if getting more serious about paint care. Thanks Jerry.

Adam's quick detailer was considered by many in autopia as the best quick detailer available. I haven't used the rest of the stuff, but they are also very well regarded in autopia.

Enjoy the shiny Kizashis!

Alex

Edit: I forgot about Klasse. The AIO is top notch, and the SG (sealer) is very very shiny and durable. Another good choice.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
Blackbelt

I have always been a fan of Zaino. I clay my cars every spring, and put several coats of Zaino on them, and the shine is incredible. One thing i like is that it leaves no white residue, and can even be used on plastic.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD