Kizashi maintenance parts and fluid list

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
uzz32

Also, for the Aussies out there, there are two Ryco oil filters you can use - the Z734 and the Z386. The Z734 is recommended in the Ryco catalogue, but it's expensive at 25 AUD per filter. The Z386 is much cheaper at less than $10 per filter.

I found out through cross referencing the K&N filter (HP 1003) with the equivalent Ryco filter (Z386).

Please consult the following link for more information:

http://nzairfilter.co.nz/oil_filter/hp-1003.html
murcod

Personally, I wouldn't use Ryco oil filters. I'm not the only person who has had bad experiences with them on other Suzuki engines - the H27A in our XL-7 (or H25A in the Grand Vitaras.) They specifically cause timing chain tensioner rattling at cold start - which would suggest possible oil pressure problems compared to the OEM filters.

Those two Ryco filters may also have different specs eg. the oil bypass valve may operate at a different pressure, the filter media area may be different, the oil drain back valves might be different? Something that bolts on might not be the correct specs.

Here's a close up pic of the two:

Note the physically larger size of the 734 (assuming they're both roughly the same diameter.) Also take note of the internals of the filter - they're constructed differently.

Out of interest the Z386 is specified for Toyota Camrys from 1987 - 2002 with engine capacities of 1.8 - 2.2l. http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue ... RY/series/
David
uzz32

murcod wrote:Those two Ryco filters may also have different specs eg. the oil bypass valve may operate at a different pressure, the filter media area may be different, the oil drain back valves might be different? Something that bolts on might not be the correct specs.
This could be a possibility, but I've cross-referenced numerous sources which indicate that the Z386 is equivalent to various K&N and Fram filters, which are deemed to be compatible with the Kizashi. Furthermore, I've been running the Z386 for the past 30k kms without any notable adverse effects. In saying this, I have not had an oil analysis performed, so there is no way of ascertaining if the Z386 will do any harm.

What filter do you run, Murcod, and how much do you pay?
murcod

I'm under warranty so it's being serviced at the dealer - so genuine filters.

(After my experiences with the XL-7 I think I'll be sticking with genuine oil filters. There's an aftermarket air filter in it and I noticed last weekend that appears to have leaked some dust past the rubber seal! Back to genuine for that too....)
David
pidru

murcod wrote: All things being equal, less pleats = less surface area = more resistance to airflow. :|
Thanks David. My next cabin air filter will be the WIX.
yoshi2012

I'm going to use Pennzoil Platinum with pureplus or Pennzoil ultra platinum With pureplus,which ever one is available. Owners manual says to stick with shell oil products (Shell owns Pennzoil). I will also give the Purolator psl14477 oil filter a try.
Woodie

I've got a PL20195 on mine this time around.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
bootymac

I'd like the run a bigger filter on the Kizashi as well, since the Mobil filters are actually shorter than OEM. How did you end up with that one, Woodie?

I use jumbo sized filters on my GTI that increase capacity by half a quart. The stock filter is on the left:

Woodie

I remember it from my GEO Metro days. Lots of guys run the big Ford 5.0 filter on their Suzuki G10 engines, the PL20195 is bigger than the recommended one, but doesn't foul the A/C compressor. When I got my Aerio with the J23, I tried the same filter I had been using for 15 years, and it worked. Now I'm up to 25 years with Suzukis, and using the same filter on my Kizashi.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency