Kizashi Serpentine/ Accessory Belt Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
gmkizashi

I did do a search and I know the service manual is here.

Anyone done this. Is there just one belt in there?? I have done them before but looking for some input if anyone has done it.

Thanks-Bret
Last edited by gmkizashi on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 SLS FWD CVT-Azure Grey
gmkizashi

Looks like on some other models that it is best done from below and /or after removing the splashguard.

Is the splashguard on the bottom under the engine or is it in the wheel well?

Once I figure it out , I will advise how I did it. (if i don't buckle and pay about 150 to get it done at dealer)
gmkizashi

OK. Crude drawing below. (That was first thing I did) I'm not sure I labeled everything correctly but that is the layout. Not horrible but you do need to remove the right front tire and access through the splash guard. There are three press in clips you need to take out and then you can move it aside enough to get in there , or you can take the whole thing off with another couple screws. ( I laid on the ground) turn the the tensioner clockwise with 14 mm wrench to release the tension, then remove the belt. Off is pretty easy. On was a little more work. I got it all in place except for the crank pulley, then I released the tension on the tensioner by holding the rubber handle of a hammer against the wrench for leverage and finally manipulating the belt over. Initially it was off a little on a couple of the other pulleys but I then released the tension again and pushed it on with my hands. Double/triple check then fire her up and check again. Took me about 40 minutes once I got in there. The majority of it was trying to get the new one back on, while taking short sanity breaks and drinking coffee.

Also threw four plugs in. Car has 93,000 miles after 27 months of ownership.

Kizashi belt.jpg
Kizashi belt.jpg (162.98 KiB) Viewed 22733 times
KuroNekko

Thanks for the info.

Here's a pic of the Kizashi's J24B engine. Your pic was pretty accurate. I labeled the pulleys as I understand them to be. I am not 100% certain, however, I am quite sure I am correct. The engine does not feature a power steering pump pulley like most older cars because the Kizashi uses an electronic power steering. However, it includes the usuals: A/C, water, crank, alternator, and tensioner. I believe the other 2 are merely pulleys that have no effect other than to route the belt.

Cars these days usually only have one belt called a serpentine belt. In the past, many cars had 2 or 3 belts, mainly because some models of the car did not have A/C. For the models that did, they added the A/C compressor and an extra belt to power it.

My 1976 VW Camper has a belt with only two pulleys. One for the crankcase and the other to the alternator. That's it.
Attachments
Suzuki-Kizashi-2010-1600-43.jpg
Suzuki-Kizashi-2010-1600-43.jpg (200.5 KiB) Viewed 22710 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

great pic Kuro, thanks!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
gmkizashi

Thank you for photo. If moderator wants to remove my drawing, that is fine.
KuroNekko

gmkizashi wrote:Thank you for photo. If moderator wants to remove my drawing, that is fine.
Na, we shall leave it up for eternity to display your illustrative prowess and diagram accuracy.
ProMarinero

Kuro, your diagram needs an adjustment. The tensioner is actually the one at the just to the right of the crank pulley.
KuroNekko

ProMarinero wrote:Kuro, your diagram needs an adjustment. The tensioner is actually the one at the just to the right of the crank pulley.
You're right. I was originally going by gmkizashi's diagram. I'll have to correct it a bit later.
DiggerDerrik

Did this today. It sucked. passenger front tire and wheel well splash guard both have to come off. Like the OP said off was easy. On....... not so much. What I ended up doing was pushing the tensioner all the way up with a hammer and using a jackstand to hold the hammer. Thus freeing up both hands to struggle with the belt on the crank pulley. I can confirm that the tensioner is the one directly above and to the right of the crank as you look at the engine from the passenger side wheel well. The one I'm pointing to in the picture.

I inspected the old on (121,800) miles and found only one crack. So I assume this belt would have been good for another 120K. But who knows and now it's done. Belt was $27 from Amazon.
Attachments
IMG_5780.JPG
IMG_5780.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 18967 times
IMG_5779.JPG
IMG_5779.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 18967 times
IMG_5778.JPG
IMG_5778.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 18967 times
IMG_5777.JPG
IMG_5777.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 18967 times
2016 Ford Explorer XLT Ecoboost
2010 Kizashi GTS FWD
2011 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 6.7