My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

So I learned today that apparently there's a fairly inexpensive TPMS triggering tool available--the EL-50448. There's fakes on ebay and amazon for cheap, but the real deal is more. Personally, I'll still stick with the air pressure method as it is fast and cheap. :)
Houdiwho

I bought my suzi with that darned orange box in my face, i have searched for a year and a half and bought a entirely new set of sensors from discount tire when i got new rims and tires which i now see was a mistake as i should have gotten oem sensors to make this that much easier on myself, has anyone come to a fool proof guarenteed way to remove it for good? or has it just been temporarily?
SamirD

Houdiwho wrote:I bought my suzi with that darned orange box in my face, i have searched for a year and a half and bought a entirely new set of sensors from discount tire when i got new rims and tires which i now see was a mistake as i should have gotten oem sensors to make this that much easier on myself, has anyone come to a fool proof guarenteed way to remove it for good? or has it just been temporarily?
Glad you found my thread! Yep, it's guaranteed. I've changed my tires every season while the car was in the midwest and relearned using my vt100 until it stopped working and then switched to the tire pressure triggering method and that's worked consistently. It might take a time or two before it doesn't come back for some reason, but that's usually right after you relearn. After that they don't come on except when they're doing their job of letting you know you have low air.

I have original sensors that I bought from a Canadian user on here still going strong and no issues. My originals are in the summer tires which I'll swap back on and relearn once I get time to take care of all the issues on the car (lots of little maintenance things now that it's older).

If you have any questions/issues, let me know. I pretty much know that system inside and out. 8-)
GBan

Ok just bought a 2011 Kizashi and the TPMS is on, was from the moment I bought it, I am taking with the dealer about this as I pointed it out right away.

Still, I thought it was tire pressure issue, they had put in two new tires and four new sensors. The dealer was a former Suzuki dealer so they should know how to do that.

in any case the TPMS turned on from Start and never turned off. So I took it back to dealer and they did get it to reset and I went off happy, Ten mile later it popped back on and again has never been off since.

The dealer says it is the TPMS receiver, which I cannot find when searching for parts!

I am pretty desperate to figure out how to get this dealt with with out spending hundreds of dollars. I do not know if the dealer is snaking me or not. If it is a receiver, how can I find out and how can find the part?

I am decent mechanically but have not had to deal with the TPMS issues, these are new to me.

Any help I can get here would be greatly appreciated. I have tried to read a bit of this thread but much of it goes over my head because I have not dealt with TPMS issues before at least no time that it did not turn off.
GBan

i just spent quite a bit of time going through this thread and I am going to try to get the car in the relearn mode, I am still having a bit an issue knowing when I am successful getting it in the relearn mode, but I will take any change in the blinkink ! in the speedometer as a sign that I might be in it, I will then look for the successive blinking lights.

We will see. tomorrow.
SamirD

Hey, don't give up! Many times even when I relearned the sensors correctly, the light came on. I think the last time I had to do this (when the car was in colder weather and needed tire swapping), I had to reset it 3 times before it 'stuck' properly.

If the dealership seems like they will, tell them to relearn the sensors again. If not, no biggie as once you get the car in relearn, you'll be able to do it yourself. :) And once you do it, don't be alarmed if it comes back on--just do it again until it sticks.

And if you need any more help--I'm here so post away. :) Welcome to the club!
Woodie

I chased the same thing for a month, turned out to be something stupid. If the sensors that your dealer put on were Continental/VDO SE10001HP, that sensor has a high pressure mode for use on trucks. If they pumped up one of the tires to 50 psi (would not be ridiculous, they often need to put in a lot to get the tire to seat on the rim properly) then the sensor goes into high pressure mode and starts alerting for anything below 50 psi. Let all of the air out and pump it back up, when it hits 0 it reverts back to regular mode.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
GBan

I am having a hard time getting it into the relearning mode. Here is what happens.

1. Get in and shut door.
2. push start button twice to get into ACC (that's fine)' yellow warning' light begins blinking but so do all the other warning lights as is standard including the TPMS speedometer !.
3. Open door and and push down cabin light switch and hold five seconds, there is then a ping the TPMS needs service sign comes on and TPMS ! starts slowly blinking. I release it and the door open light comes on, yellow warning ! sign is blinking and , TPMS ! is still blinking slowly, steadily.
4. I push it down again for 2 more seconds and the TMPS NEEDS SERVICE SIGN , the YELLOW ! is blinking and the TPMS ! still slowly blinking continues.
5. I release it and the door open sign comes on, Yellow !, continues slowly blinking TPMS ! continues.
6. Push in again for 4 to 7 seconds, TPMS sign comes on again, with the same results, Eventually the TPMS sign goes solid.

My question is how I am going to know when I have successfully got it into relearn mode?

I do not believe is the ECU or the Receiver as after hours of searching not one time have I found this to be a problem and niether can I find the part.
Samir do you know what pages this is in the Repair manual?
SamirD

So here's the procedure I found from this thread that I think I posted originally. I think the 5 second hold in your first step is what is messing it up:
I used the TPMS hack here are steps to put the car in relearn per SAMIR D:
" Have the fob in your pocket
- Open the car and sit in the drivers seat. Close the door. Make sure all doors are closed.
- Push the start button twice to get it to acc mode. Keep your foot off the brake or you'll start the car.
- Within 5 seconds of seeing ACC on the dash, open the driver's side door and reach to your left to find the driver's side door plunger switch. Press it and hold for 2 seonds. I've found using the dome light as a good indicator as to when the switch was depressed. My light did not extinguish.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 2 seconds.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 4 seconds.
- When you release it this time, you'll see the tpms light start to flash slowly (about once a second). If not, start at the begining after turning the car off".

once it is in relearn mode start with drop the air to 5-10 lbs each tire, until all tire registered then add more air. please confirm.
SamirD

As far as what page is is in the repair manual, it depends on which repair manual you are referring to--which one do you have?