My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

I've been talking with a company that happened to have a set of Bartec units that were brand new, but older. They've given me a full refund return policy if they don't work with the Kizashi sensors, so I just picked it up.

So now I've got two options as far as tools. One of the two should work, and whichever one works consistantly is the one I'm keeping. 8-)

On a side note, I ran into a pretty good deal on factory sensors:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-USED-TIR ... 460ebc926b
SamirD

Tried to call ateq today. Their support was open, but the person i need to talk to won't be back in until monday.

the bartec comes tomorrow, so the tpmschapter of this is almost over.
mgp123

Samird, what size tires are you getting, did you say? I was thinking that something with the same sidewall height but slightly wider would look nice.(I'm referencing the 235/45*18s)
SamirD

I'm going to get 215/60/16s. This is basically the same diameter as the stock 235/45/18s, but much thinner to put more weight down on the tire contact patch. I considered 215/65/16s, but it's 9mm taller, and I'm afraid it might rub the fender when turning full lock under suspension load. The idea would be that the 65 height would raise the car a bit since the sport suspension does drop it a bit.

If you want wider, check out what I used to make sure my tire size was good:
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Based on this calculator a 225/60/16 can fit with only 4mm more diameter, which shouldn't hurt even on the sport suspension. But keep in mind that if you're thinking of winter use, the 225 won't be much help compared to the 235 since it's still quite wide. I would actually run a 205 if I could, but the load rating of the tire I want isn't high enough to match the factory Dunlops.
SamirD

Got the two Bartecs I ordered yesterday and tried them this morning. Because they don't have a display like the vt30, I had to figure out how to use the car to confirm that the car was reading the sensors.

My experiment consisted of taking one of the Suzuki sensors that I have as well as the vt30 and both Bartec tools and trying to see if the car 'reads' the id when the sensor is triggered. My experience is as follows.

I used the factory non-tool method to get the car in relearn mode. This is ultra simple and can be done right from the driver's seat:
- Have the fob in your pocket
- Open the car and sit in the drivers seat. Close the door. Make sure all doors are closed.
- Push the start button twice to get it to acc mode. Keep your foot off the brake or you'll start the car.
- Within 5 seconds of seeing ACC on the dash, open the driver's side door and reach to your left to find the driver's side door plunger switch. Press it and hold for 2 seonds. I've found using the dome light as a good indicator as to when the switch was depressed.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 2 seconds.
- Release after pressing for 2 seconds, and then do it again for 4 seconds.
- When you release it this time, you'll see the tpms light start to flash slowly (about once a second). If not, start at the begining after turning the car off.

Once I had the car in tpms learn mode, I had the sensor with me in my lap along with the vt30 and triggered the sensor. When the sensor is triggered and the car recognizes it, the tpms light will flash rapidly with the number of sensors remaining to learn. This is information I didn't find in any other documentation on the car, including the service manual. So after learning the first sensor ID, it will flash a series of 3 flashes, and then repeat. It will do this until you register a second sensor, at which point, the number of flashes will be 2 and then repeat. It does this until it will be flashing just one rapid light for the one remaining sensor. According to the service manual, the tpms sensor will light up solid for 5 seconds when it is fully programmed. I didn't go this far since I didn't want to lose the current sensor IDs of the tires on the car.

Once I understood what the lights meant, I tried the other two tools from Bartec. Neither one of them worked. Both tools indicated they couldn't find a sensor. :( I'll give Bartec a call on Monday to see if there's anything I missed, but from my testing so far, only the vt30 is a <$250 tool that can trigger the Kizashi sensors.
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:based upon your earlier post regarding Autel, this one sounds to be the way to go, but until someone actually tries it and proves its operation.....how would you know?

Autel MaxiTPMS® TS401 V2.39 TPMS Diagnostic and Service Tool

$250 from Autel online.
After the experiment with the Bartecs that I thought would work, I may pick this up as well as the earlier ts101 and see if they work. If not, it's just another return.
mgp123

Wow, that's good info on the programming thru the car's interface.
SamirD

mgp123 wrote:Wow, that's good info on the programming thru the car's interface.
It's actually not that difficult to find, but there's so much misinformation out there on "you must have the dealership tool/only the dealer can do it".

Right now, I could program all 4 sensors I have using the vt30 in my lap, put them in the winter tires I plan to get, swap the tires and I'd be done for now. I'd have a problem swapping the summer tires back since the vt30 isn't reading sensors through the tires, but ATEQ is working with me on a fix for that. I just don't want to chance it since I probably won't have time to mess with this again.
SamirD

Talked to Bartec and ATEQ this morning. I didn't have the instructions for the Bartec unit, so I was doing it wrong. Once I set it to #3, it triggered the sensor. :D

And it triggered the existing sensor on the car as well. However, when I tried the vt30, it did too. I went around to both driver's side tires as well as the passenger front (couldn't reach pass rear) and was able to use either tool to trigger all the sensors except the driver's front. It's weird. The car should be showing a tpms trouble if it can't read it, but yet the tools can't read it. I'm thinking a drive might 'wake up' the sensor, and I'm dropping off the wife, so I'll try it again at her work parking lot.
SamirD

Forgot to put in my notes from the ATEQ call. They are still working on a better and more consistent firmware that will make the vt30 work as good as the vt55 for triggering the sensors. Because of the holidays, it's taken a bit longer, but hopefully I'll have something by Friday.

I tried both tools on my driver's front after driving the car and neither still worked, furthermore, the driver's side rear, which consistently read fine at home didn't read after a drive. Such randomness.

I'm going to pull the trigger on getting the Altimaxs and sensors mounted on the wheels this week if possible. We've got another bit of snow coming and I have enough confidence that ATEQ will deliver on a firmware that works.