My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

ken-wawa wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 am
SamirD wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:17 pm All of this is super strange. Do you have the factory service manual? Why did you change your TPMS sensors?

I've catched a spike in one tyre and as tyres were quite old I devices not to repair them but to exchange the whole set. Also tpms sensors expected life is 5-7 years. Thus in order not to have the situation that after changing tyres after few months I will have to install new tmps sensors I decided to change also sensors. They didn't report end of battery life but just in case. With the old ones everything worked perfectly and I didn't have the smallest problem until the end thus I don't expect any problems with tmps module.

By factory service manual u mean car manual? Yes, but this situation (with similar blinking) is only commented with 1-2 phrases saying sth very general that in very rare conditions as very untypical weather conditions such blinking might happen and then car might need 10 minutes for displaying tyres pressure. In my case it's rather 8-12 km.

Do you know if with newly installed sensors there is any calibration process made automatically by tpms car module? And if yes how long might it take? By calibration I don't mean re-learning etc. but rather some process with goal to check sensor functioning and improving their precision?

In fact I don't have any good ideas... Perhaps those blinking modes would explain sth but I can't find any description what different modes of tpms blinking means.
With the Kizashi, there is a lot of 'don't fix it unless it is broken' as many things working right will just continue to do so, regardless of the lifespan. :|

Not owners manual, factory service manual. It's the manual the actual technicians use. Do a search for it on here. That has a complete section on the tpms sensors and proper replacement.

I do not think there is any type of calibration process. Either the sensors work or they don't. But generally if they're not factory Suzuki part number parts or the VDO Continental branded ones, there will more than likely be issues. Your issues are far outside of anything I've ever heard on any Suzuki that uses the sensors or anything in any of the documentation--and I've read a tremendous amount on this system.

I would simply get some used or refurbished sensors if you don't have your originals that were working fine. Real Suzuki sensors have always worked well ime.
old tech

I am quite familiar with the blinking. It blinks are indicating the number of tpms that are not fully accepted from the last re-registration. you need the vdo s like SamirD mentions. However, two weeks ago I posted under technical ; inexpensive tpms that work. Check it out. $27 for a set of four. These work perfectly. I just ordered my third set for stock. Ive done so many of these cvt overhauls and alot of times they have a list of other kizashi issues like this one that other garages have trouble with. I need to be ready. Order till delivered time is a couple weeks.
ken-wawa

Thanks a lot for this info. Which blinks exactly means the number of suspicious sensors? Two just after ignition on? So does it means I have two suspicious sensors? And what means those 3 and next 2 blinking after approx. 10 km?

In theory my sensors are Suzuki branded ones as they were packed in paper box with Suzuki logo. However on sensors I have only Continental logo. It's exactly as with the old ones.

Do you think that id might be outside some accepted range? As the old ones had ids almost one after another and the new ones seems to have more random.

I would prefer not to change them for others as it means additional costs. And I'm not into mechanics so I should also pay for replacing.

It might be one reason more. At first after tpms reset my garage activated my sensors in the incorrect order. I mean RF and LR were exchanged. I discovered it by observing what is happening through odb2 and was surprised that my left tyres had significantly higher temperature that the right ones (sure according to the computer, not in "real life"). And I would have rather expected that the front tyres would have higher temperature than the rear ones. I inflated each tyre to slightly different pressure in eco mode (higher pressure for front tyres than rear) and it only confirmed my guessing.

When I contacted the garage, they confirmed the error. They reset tpms once again and they activated the sensors in the correct order. I've checked through odb2 and it seems that they are ok. I mean the order is now ok.

However I'm wondering how it might have impact on tpms module as ids are the same but in just different order. AFAIK tmps module is determining somehow the sensors position basing on radio data. Unfortunately the story with blinking repeats. Is that possible that ex. after 10 longer drives tpms module will accept it now? The problem is that most of my drives are very short.

Or should I do sth different, ex. to add first a different set of modules for example my old ones to make tpms module to fully forget about these new sensors? And after ex. 15kms to restart tpms module once again and add again my new sensors? And will tpms module accept old sensors with zero pressure (as I would prefer not to install them on tyres)? Any other way to solve this?

Btw, how many sets of sensors tpms module is capable to remember? 4 tyres only? or 8 tyres only?

Once again thank you for help.
SamirD

old tech wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:45 am I am quite familiar with the blinking. It blinks are indicating the number of tpms that are not fully accepted from the last re-registration. you need the vdo s like SamirD mentions. However, two weeks ago I posted under technical ; inexpensive tpms that work. Check it out. $27 for a set of four. These work perfectly. I just ordered my third set for stock. Ive done so many of these cvt overhauls and alot of times they have a list of other kizashi issues like this one that other garages have trouble with. I need to be ready. Order till delivered time is a couple weeks.
Thank you for your insights! I always enjoy your posts as you're the most knowledgeable person on the Kizashi I've ever seen online. :) I thought the blinks only applied when in the tpms re-learn mode? The problem the poster here is talking about seems to be even after out of relearn mode.
SamirD

ken-wawa wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:32 am Thanks a lot for this info. Which blinks exactly means the number of suspicious sensors? Two just after ignition on? So does it means I have two suspicious sensors? And what means those 3 and next 2 blinking after approx. 10 km?

In theory my sensors are Suzuki branded ones as they were packed in paper box with Suzuki logo. However on sensors I have only Continental logo. It's exactly as with the old ones.

Do you think that id might be outside some accepted range? As the old ones had ids almost one after another and the new ones seems to have more random.

I would prefer not to change them for others as it means additional costs. And I'm not into mechanics so I should also pay for replacing.

It might be one reason more. At first after tpms reset my garage activated my sensors in the incorrect order. I mean RF and LR were exchanged. I discovered it by observing what is happening through odb2 and was surprised that my left tyres had significantly higher temperature that the right ones (sure according to the computer, not in "real life"). And I would have rather expected that the front tyres would have higher temperature than the rear ones. I inflated each tyre to slightly different pressure in eco mode (higher pressure for front tyres than rear) and it only confirmed my guessing.

When I contacted the garage, they confirmed the error. They reset tpms once again and they activated the sensors in the correct order. I've checked through odb2 and it seems that they are ok. I mean the order is now ok.

However I'm wondering how it might have impact on tpms module as ids are the same but in just different order. AFAIK tmps module is determining somehow the sensors position basing on radio data. Unfortunately the story with blinking repeats. Is that possible that ex. after 10 longer drives tpms module will accept it now? The problem is that most of my drives are very short.

Or should I do sth different, ex. to add first a different set of modules for example my old ones to make tpms module to fully forget about these new sensors? And after ex. 15kms to restart tpms module once again and add again my new sensors? And will tpms module accept old sensors with zero pressure (as I would prefer not to install them on tyres)? Any other way to solve this?

Btw, how many sets of sensors tpms module is capable to remember? 4 tyres only? or 8 tyres only?

Once again thank you for help.
I have personally had sensors needing relearning after they have been learned a few times before they 'took'. I have also had the sensors seem to work fine and then need relearning. They are a bit finicky, but once they are set up, they generally work.

I can't remember now if the order of the tires matters any more. I've documented the exact procedure here in this thread, so the answer to that question is here somewhere if you read this entire thread.

The sensors only activate under 3 conditions--pressure loss of 5psi or more, rotation of 5mph or more, or by the vt55 or vt30 activation tool. The sensors will not connect to the car with zero psi unless activated by the vt-series tools, and honestly I don't think that would work with zero pressure.

The car only remembers the last 4 sensors. If you add 4 new sensors, the old 4 are gone. It would have been nice for the system to remember 8 as for those of us with a winter set of tires, we wouldn't have to relearn every season.
old tech

I’ve had to repeat a re-register but 3 or more blinks tell me you’ve been sold copy sensors that just aren’t going to work . Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ken-wawa

old tech wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:46 pm I’ve had to repeat a re-register but 3 or more blinks tell me you’ve been sold copy sensors that just aren’t going to work . Sorry
Have you checked after 1st registration if you can see sensors id visible through odb2? What were the symptoms after 1st and 2nd registration?

You mean those 3 blinks after approx. 10km in my case? They are expected to be genuine sensors unless ex. I was cheated by someone in the way which is hard to find.
old tech

Yes when copy sensors were installed the sensor number , temp , pressure and battery work fine but make the low tire icon flash in a pattern if and when you see 3 blinks its indicating 3 or maybe more ( im not sure if four blinks are possible) its trying to tell you this number of sensors arent compeletely registered missing some electronic marker of some sort. ive seen a white box sensor on both ebay and Amazon that have the suzuki part no. but no S icon. I purchased and was duped . I returned them . If it maxed out at 1 blink , try reregister. The correct replacement sensor is se10001hp. I would like to see a pic of ones you were sold
ken-wawa

Where I could find the exact explanations of all those blinks? I've tried to find service user manual but it's in very strange format....

And why only 2 sensors from 4 are counterfeit? It doesn't make sense. If I was a bad boy, I would sell all 4... :o

I think that here the fact that two were incorrectly installed might have some impact on tpms module as after reset and reordering if still keeps some info that there was sth wrong with these two. Thus I have impression that it should forget first all four and then have all 4 stored again. But how to do this in the less painful way (I mean without unmounting them from tyres)?

I will write to Continental to confirm if my sensors are genuine or counterfeit. I have all data including photos (good I took them before putting sensors into tyres).

Btw, when you had this problem with your false sensors and you said that temperature, pressure was visible via odb2, was it like this that after 10-15 minutes you could also read the pressure on your car dashboard or not?
old tech

Post a pic of your sensors. Where did you get them and what was the cost? Im interested in what you find out from Continental. With copy sensors installed and icon blinking, with Snap-on scan tool connected to the Kizashi I can read data and there the temps and pressures and sensor numbers and battery strength read fine. Ive tried cloning original working Suzuki sensors with Autel units and the Continental/vdo system rejects these in the same manner.