My Dealer-less TPMS Tire Change Story

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
ken-wawa

old tech wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am With copy sensors installed and icon blinking, with Snap-on scan tool connected to the Kizashi I can read data and there the temps and pressures and sensor numbers and battery strength read fine.
However is the pressure also displayed on car dashboard (control panel) after 10-15 min?

Concerning the rest, I will write more when having the answer from Continental.
Woodie

ken-wawa wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 pm Btw, when you had this problem with your false sensors and you said that temperature, pressure was visible via odb2, was it like this that after 10-15 minutes you could also read the pressure on your car dashboard or not?
What kind of car are you talking about? I've never heard of a Kizashi with a pressure display.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
ken-wawa

Suzuki Vitara. :P However it's very strange Vitara as TPMS reset procedure for it doesn't work (it's fully ignored by car) but surprisingly TPMS reset procedure for Kizashi started to work. Moreover it was quite limited version of this model with S in the name and I've heard that some components were imported from Japan. Not sure if it's true.
SamirD

ken-wawa wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:26 pmI will write to Continental to confirm if my sensors are genuine or counterfeit. I have all data including photos (good I took them before putting sensors into tyres).
Todays fakes are so well done, the only way manufacturers can tell is once they have their hands on them and open them up. I've dealt with this with Intel network cards and Intel was only able to tell because some of the numbering didn't make sense in the usual way--otherwise if those numbers were proper, they would have needed the card in their hands to know exactly what type of faking was done. And this was nearly 10 years ago. Today's fakes look and seem like the real thing--until they are not.
SamirD

old tech wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 amIve tried cloning original working Suzuki sensors with Autel units and the Continental/vdo system rejects these in the same manner.
I actually looked into the cloning systems early on when I was researching how to get around needing the dealership for a re-learn. Did the cloned sensors not work? In theory, these should not have even required a re-learn.
SamirD

ken-wawa wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 pm Suzuki Vitara. :P However it's very strange Vitara as TPMS reset procedure for it doesn't work (it's fully ignored by car) but surprisingly TPMS reset procedure for Kizashi started to work. Moreover it was quite limited version of this model with S in the name and I've heard that some components were imported from Japan. Not sure if it's true.
Fake Vitara? :shock: :o What country are you in?
old tech

SamirD wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 pm
old tech wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 amIve tried cloning original working Suzuki sensors with Autel units and the Continental/vdo system rejects these in the same manner.
I actually looked into the cloning systems early on when I was researching how to get around needing the dealership for a re-learn. Did the cloned sensors not work? In theory, these should not have even required a re-learn.
tha autel clones made the icon blink. I know there is at least one cloning sensor that pulls it off great on the Kizashi . Im thinking it was Shrader but not sure of that.
ken-wawa

I will wait for answer from Continental. I've sent them some photos. I have even more but I didn't want to join all not being sure what is the maximum size per email in their email system. We will see what they will suggest. I've bought them in the shop having many good opinions thus I have doubts if they sell intentionally counterfeit products but it could happen that someone cheated them and indirectly me.

Personally I'm rather guessing that it's some kind of software problem. Perhaps Continental improved sth in their sensors software and it makes problems with some models of Suzuki car. But it's just my guessing... Especially that I've checked my tpms module number and it's different than other Vitara cars (sure I don't have access to Suzuki databases, but just checked tpms module numbers on some auctions with second hands components and there is no even single auction with exactly the same number, all differs usually by one digit).

Another option is what I wrote, that it might be that their sensors might be triggered in more than one modes and triggering sequence don't fit this car.

The strangest thing for me is that after some time the car starts displaying pressure on control panel. As if it was me designing the system, if tmps module detects counterfeit sensor (missing some signature as it was suggested), it should not start accepting sensors after some time... Moreover there is no any message like "service tpms". The car accepts sensors after 10-15 min and until the end of driving, whatever long it is, they display pressure and everything works normally like with genuine sensors.

Another option which is coming to my mind that there is some very minor air leakage and that's somehow detected by sensors and that is causing long read mode. If I don't have so many different attempts probably I could observe it easier. But as doing many different tricks (like increasing pressure, decreasing, adjusting to eco mode, to comfort mode etc.) it could happen I didn't notice it. However it's not easy to observe very minor leakage as ex. if after one read I have pressure in one tyre lower by ex. 4 kpa than in other tyres, it might be also easily some "calculation" error as this algorithm is for sure not perfect. Also ex. the place where the car stops might have some impact (slightly different surface, different tyre position etc.).

I've also found one comment on the internet concerning these sensors where one guy has written that automatic re-learning didn't work in his case but after manual activation they started to work. It could be the same in my case, if the garage don't make this terrible error with incorrect sensors order. I'm sure that it has some impact on tpms module algorithm. Unfortunately I don't have any possibility to contact this guy to learn more as his comment is anonymous from my perspective.
ken-wawa

One remark more. I was not able to find the blinking diagnosis codes for Suzuki, but I've found them for Nissan and Toyota. As it's also system made by Continental, I'm guessing it might be very similar.

First blinking series, if I am right, it means:

Blinking pattern 22 - Transmitter no data Front RH - trouble area Tire pressure warning valve and transmitter / Tire pressure warning antenna and receiver / Wire harness or connector / Tire pressure warning ECU

(according to some other description 22 is described as - no signal from transmitter ID2 in main mode)

After 10km drive I have second blinking series, and if I am right, it means:

Blinking pattern 32 - Transmitter checksum error Front RH - Checksum data from front RH transmitter is malfunctionning

(according to some other description 23 means - no signal from transmitter ID2 in 2nd mode)

Sure these are codes for other cars and it might happen that their meaning is not very detailed. Moreover probably their meaning should be understood widely thus I think But if I try to make any conclusions from that I would say:

1. The system accepted the first sensor which means that at least one sensor is genuine
2. There is some kind of problem with transmission from the second sensor and now that's the question if it's because
- a) the sensor doesn't work correctly
- b) sensor 2 and 4 were programmed in the incorrect order and tmps module was detecting this basing on the estimation of their positions.
I'm guessing it's the case b and after reordering tmps module is keeping the previous error. Especially that reading the pressure is possible after time. If the sensor was damaged, then it would not give any pressure readings. And I doubt that I bought one genuine sensor and one counterfeit sensor.
3. I'm guessing that the system displays only the first error. As error messaging is executed with led blinking, I would doubt that they would put all errors to the queue of errors to be displayed. That's why only the error for the sensor 2 is visible when observing led blinking.

The question is how to make this tpms module to forget about these errors.

On some Toyota forums I've found two suggestions. One was resetting this at least two times (as some Toyota cars are keeping data for two set of tyres; for sure I would do it already if having tpms activation tool) and second suggestion during re-learn car shouldn't reverse (although here I'm not 100% sure what means re-learn, is that automatic re-learning or re-learn after tpms reset).

Concluding (before Continental answer which is delayed, I might send them the reminder), does anyone know how:
A. To make full reset of tpms module to make it to forget errors?
SzViewer doesn't detect any errors and clearing dtc codes doesn't help. I'm guessing I should force first module to forget all sensors and then to activate them again but how? Do you perhaps know any cheap or free or charge software allowing to do this via odb2?
B. Is that possible to deactivate somehow sensors for some time in order to make them not to turn on during driving?
C. Does car reversing have any impact on tmps module cooperation with sensors just after triggering them?
D. How many set of tyres Suzuki cars are able to store? One set or two sets?
ken-wawa

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/tp ... r.1652754/

"C2122 CODE DEFINITION:
• Transmitter ID 2 not Received (Main)
FREQUENTLY REPORTED FIX:
• Replaced Tire Pressure Sensor(s)
OTHER REPORTED FIX:
• Performed Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Relearn Procedure"