Swapping HID Headlights onto a non-HID Car

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

bootymac wrote:
SamirD wrote:I have access to purchasing the HID headlights in India, but I need to know about the wiring harness.
Out of curiosity, how much will it cost?
It's probably going to be something outrageous like what you normally find for HID headlight assemblies. I'm guessing around $700 US per assembly, so $1400 total.
SamirD

IshaanIan wrote:Here in India, the Kizashi comes only in one spec with an option for either the Manual or the CVT. Neither of which come with HIDs just the usual halogens with a low beam projector.

Roads are very poorly lit here so I desperately need a better lighting solution. To me, it seems like the cut off in the Kzashi, is way too low. Perhaps it is because the Indian car has a ground clearance of a 155mm and the headlamps haven't been leveled properly or something like that? Essentially, I want a long list of changes to the car- HIDs for both the low and the high beams, and projectors for both (either a bi-xenon type setup or twin projectors) which I would like to give me an even spread of brighter light that also illuminates the road farther. Is there anyway to do this? Unfortunately I'm a proper noob when it comes to this sort of stuff (hope my requirements even made sense) so help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Well, phoey. There goes that connection. But I bet I could still get a part if I had the part number...

Since glare doesn't really matter in India and you could just turn off the lights for a second, I'd recommend the HID and LED retrofit kits that KuroNekko has installed. Otherwise, you can join me in the hunt for some factory HIDs, and you could just get some from Australia and be plug and play.
SamirD

murcod wrote:Best thing to start with would be to check the adjustment of your headlights. Go out in the dark and find a deserted straight long flat piece of road. If you can, unplug one headlight at a time - only having the single beam on makes aiming a lot easier! With high beam on, adjust the headlight so the beam lights the maximum distance (ie. too high and you won't light the road, too low and it will reduce distance.) Then swap headlights and do the same thing again. There's a left and right adjustment as well as up and down. The beams should overlap in the middle of the road.

The Kizashi has the separate low and high beam bulbs, but there is only one set of L-R and U-D adjusters for each headlight. Once you adjust high beam the low beam will be in the correct position. (If you try adjusting low beam up for better lighting your high beam will be out of wack and useless.)
head light adjusters.jpg
It is important to note that here in the US, there is a cover over this adjustment screw from the factory that must be removed prior to adjustments by taking off the bumper (KuroNekko shows how to do it in one of his writeups). You may run into the same thing.
SamirD

murcod wrote:
bootymac wrote:Fogs won't work while the high beams are on though.
Really? Is that some USA/ Canada law, or a Kizashi thing?

I haven't got them on my Kizashi but other vehicles I've owned with factory fogs they'd work with parkers, low and high beam.
Several of my cars have done this. I believe it is due to the amount of power the whole setup uses. Kinda like how my Altima would completely shut off the low beams when going to high, whereas my Galant, Accord (and the Kizashi), leave the low beams on with the highs.
SamirD

IshaanIan wrote:I very rarely use the high beams, only to tell people that their beams are annoying me, or occasionally to check if there are any bad patches of road ahead when travelling at speed on roads that I'm not familiar with.
Wait, what? You don't do the 'flashing headlight multiple times before passing at night' thing like others I've seen in India?
murcod

SamirD wrote:I'm thinking that the housings can't be different for RHD and LHD markets and there's adjustments that can be made to either for either market. It would have been stupid to produce 4 different headlight assemblies for the car.
They are different head light assemblies - and the adjustment procedure I posted yesterday shows the relationship between low beam and high beam is fixed. If you could adjust low/ high individually then you may have been able to find something acceptable.

PS: You'll most likely find "LHD" marked somewhere on your headlights - I know I've seen RHD marked on my previous vehicles. I can't remember if I've seen it on the Kizashi head lights. There's a bit on the differences here (an Astra forum and Mazda forum, but the same applies) http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showt ... ert-to-lhd
http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/car-audi ... s-rhd.html
David
~tc~

SamirD wrote:I'm thinking that the housings can't be different for RHD and LHD markets and there's adjustments that can be made to either for either market. It would have been stupid to produce 4 different headlight assemblies for the car.

In my experience, OEM stuff is always better than aftermarket unless it costs almost as much as OEM. There's no $500 HID kits (that I know of), so it's still a $100 kit being marked up to $200 (or whatever the prices are for the retrofit kits--100% markup, normal aftermarket distribution process, probably made for $10 in China or $50 in Japan, but not $300 factory units)
No, that's exactly what they have to do if they want that option in different markets... Depending on different country regulations, it may be even more than that. To sum up the links above, a LHD (US) car light pattern will ramp up on the right to illuminate signage and down on the left to minimize blinding oncoming drivers. A RHD (AUS, IND) will be the opposite. By fitting "factory" lamps, you will be doing WORSE than if you went aftermarket HID in the halogen projectors (which at least have the ramps on the proper sides)

It is possible that HID kits were not even made in LHD and why they weren't available in the US in the first place.

While I agree with you about the testing and reliability of aftermarket vs stock parts, I think the gap narrows considerably once you get off the "bottom" of the aftermarket where people are competing on price alone. I was very impressed with the quality of my Morimoto kit from theretrofitsource, but then I paid up for the better XB35 bulbs.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
murcod

Here you go SamirD - your quest is over.
kizashi china specs.jpg
kizashi china specs.jpg (109.08 KiB) Viewed 10053 times
Now, you just need someone in China to buy them for you (and work out a way to sort out the self leveling issues!)
David
murcod

SamirD wrote:
bootymac wrote:
SamirD wrote:I have access to purchasing the HID headlights in India, but I need to know about the wiring harness.
Out of curiosity, how much will it cost?
It's probably going to be something outrageous like what you normally find for HID headlight assemblies. I'm guessing around $700 US per assembly, so $1400 total.
It's AUS$690 per head light for the halogen version: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEAD-LIGHT-S ... 1c2d17b523

You'll quite likely find you'll need to buy the HID headlight, the HID bulb, then the self leveling motor and the HID ballast. I know when my last car needed a new headlight (from an accident) that was the case - I was expecting to end up with spare HID parts but was left with nothing but a broken headlight shell!
David
IshaanIan

SamirD wrote:
IshaanIan wrote:I very rarely use the high beams, only to tell people that their beams are annoying me, or occasionally to check if there are any bad patches of road ahead when travelling at speed on roads that I'm not familiar with.
Wait, what? You don't do the 'flashing headlight multiple times before passing at night' thing like others I've seen in India?
Lol here in India people just have their high beams permanently on it gets really annoying since they use it everywhere; in traffic, narrow streets etc. I can't deny doing illegal things and I know it may sound corny but I go by one motto: one man's right to swing his cane, ends where the others' nose begins. :P So I try not to annoy other drivers with my high beam especially when I'm not on empty poorly lit highways at great speeds. I occasionally flash my lights at someone if their beams are a little glaring (several idiots drop in HID bulbs in their reflectors which is seriously unbearable)