FYI: OEM oil filter dissected

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
bootymac

SamirD wrote:
bootymac wrote:Before the OEM versus aftermarket filter debate continues, I just want to say that everything is an assumption without any specs. We need facts and specs to make meaningful contributions. It's a fairly objective topic
I agree that we need specs. But then we need specs of the engine and wear areas, and pressure requirements, and graphs and charts, and engineers to analyze the data.
We need the specs of the OEM filter so that we can compare them to aftermarket filters and determine if they fit Suzuki's requirements. Specs like filtration efficiency, flow rate, bypass PSI, etc. Most aftermarket manufacturers list these specs so it would be easy to compare.

Unfortunately the OEM filter doesn't say who the manufacturer is, but I've read that it's either Tokyo Roki (who also makes the OEM air filter) or Wako. Neither company's websites are very helpful.

Honestly though, we're over-analyzing this whole thing. I believe Suzuki simply had minimum requirements and any decent aftermarket filter should meet those requirements. The fact that Suzuki lists the exact same filter for a plethora of applications supports this.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote: Honestly though, we're over-analyzing this whole thing. I believe Suzuki simply had minimum requirements and any decent aftermarket filter should meet those requirements. The fact that Suzuki lists the exact same filter for a plethora of applications supports this.
This is what people on internet car forums do. We discuss and debate about stuff the layperson can care less about and what most professionals would say to as "Guys, chill out."
We are the biggest dorks behind the wheel. :ugeek: + :drive:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

I'm not even sure what we were debating anymore :lol:

Just don't use a soup can full of coffee filters and all will be well :drive:
Woodie

KuroNekko wrote:What was his reason? Isn't he the guy that claimed the Kizashi's OEM filter was special from others simply because it had an anti-drainback valve or bypass valve?
Same guy imagines that changing the air filter causes idle hunting issues.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
murcod

bootymac wrote: We need the specs of the OEM filter so that we can compare them to aftermarket filters and determine if they fit Suzuki's requirements.
Exactly what I've been saying. Sadly it's an important point that appears to be missed by some!

(Not that I read all the long essays! :lol:)
David
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
bootymac wrote: Honestly though, we're over-analyzing this whole thing. I believe Suzuki simply had minimum requirements and any decent aftermarket filter should meet those requirements. The fact that Suzuki lists the exact same filter for a plethora of applications supports this.
This is what people on internet car forums do. We discuss and debate about stuff the layperson can care less about and what most professionals would say to as "Guys, chill out."
We are the biggest dorks behind the wheel. :ugeek: + :drive:
Hence, we are enthusiasts. 8-) We are enthusiastic about every detail. 8-) I wouldn't have it any other way. :drive:

You think we're bad? The keyboard guys are waaaay over the top:
www.geekhack.org (yes, I am a member :lol: )
SamirD

Woodie wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:What was his reason? Isn't he the guy that claimed the Kizashi's OEM filter was special from others simply because it had an anti-drainback valve or bypass valve?
Same guy imagines that changing the air filter causes idle hunting issues.
There was some sort of construction of the filter (whether or not it was a valve or not I'm not sure anymore) that prevented startup chain rattle that would over time damage the engine. But it would be a loooong time, say 150k mi or so.

I don't think it's him imagining it because I initially laughed and then proceeded to drill him on the issue. I asked him where he got that crazy idea, and he cited several different actual Kizashis he serviced with the issue and aftermarket intakes or a sometimes a K&N drop-in that when replaced by the factory filter went back to normal idle. I ask him why the car did this, and he didn't know why, but he postulated that the computer must be really picky about the flow of air coming in. Not exactly the answer people want to hear, but that's the answer.

I don't know how much it costs to call to Ray Chevrolet from where you are, but I'd call him and ask him yourself if you want. He'll actually talk a good bit about the car without charge. 8-)
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:
bootymac wrote: We need the specs of the OEM filter so that we can compare them to aftermarket filters and determine if they fit Suzuki's requirements.
Exactly what I've been saying. Sadly it's an important point that appears to be missed by some!

(Not that I read all the long essays! :lol:)
You might want to read the previous "long essays" given I pretty much dismantled your arguments in them and provided proof and references.

Moving on:
It would be great to inspect the specifications of the OEM filter to compare to the aftermarket, however this has proved to be very difficult. No one can seem to find them. I've spent over an hour searching and no one has the specs's, let alone can even definitively say who makes them.
It's safe to assume that since the OEM filter is made in Japan, a Japanese supplier manufactures them. I came across a number of motorcycle forums/pages and one claims the OEM Suzuki filter is made by Tokyo Roki (now, just Roki).
However, much like Bootymac, I found that Roki's site did not have much technical info on their products, even in Japanese.
I realistically think to find technical info on the specific filter, searches in Japanese would be necessary given it's a Japanese-made filter. The alternative would be to contact Suzuki directly for the specs.

That being said, Wix (an American filter maker) provides a good amount of data on their OEM replacement filters. For the Kizashi, this is it:
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDe ... Part=57530

Also, Wix and even info on the OEM filter provide a fact relevant to you all interested in filter specs and believe them to be so important:
Both the Wix and Suzuki OEM 16510-61A31 filter have multiple vehicle applications. Logically, this would show that filter specs aren't such a sensitive matter given it goes not only on 3 different Suzuki cars, each with a different engine, but also on Suzuki outboard engines on boats!
Given this fact, you really think that this filter can be so specific to the Kizashi and its perceived unique filtering demands when Suzuki puts it on a number of varying products?

Also, let's do some logical deductions based on some facts here:

A) The OEM Suzuki filter goes on multiple Suzuki vehicle engines, not only our Kizashi-specific J24B, which is actually different, but based on the Grand Vitara's J24B which uses the same oil filter.

B) The OEM Suzuki filter goes on multiple Suzuki outboard engines for boats. I've verified this.

C) Oil pressure is not regulated nor controlled by the oil filter. It comes from the oil pump which is driven by the crankshaft. Due to this design, oil pressure is variable and increases and decreases with engine RPM. Hence, oil filters are subject to fluctuating oil pressure and are designed for performance in a wide spectrum of pressure.

D) The oil filter is subject to varying oil pressure and oil temperature which affects its flow rate. Basically, it's a variable, not a constant spec therefore filters are rated by max flow rate. The type of filter media a filter uses will affect this, but so will oil filter service duration due to contaminant build-up. Again, it's a variable spec.

E) The oil filter flow rate and filtering efficiency are variable based on filter condition. A filter with 500 miles on it will perform differently than a filter with 5000 miles on it.
Again, this spec is variable, not a constant. It's also why filters have bypass valves. When the filter fails to filter the oil due to filtration capacity or oil pressure rate, it will bypass the filter so the engine receives oil. Dirty oil is better than no oil.

F) The filtration capacity is largely based on filter media. The type of filter media material and the number of pleats on it will affect how much and how well the filter traps contaminants. High-end filters like the Mobil 1 filter use synthetic filter media components that allow it to not only filter smaller particles, but also keep more of them trapped in the filter. In essence, the filter can be smaller in size, yet better in filtration all because of the superior filter media.
I have no doubt the OEM is a good filter, but there are simply better filters that use more advanced filter media. Again, materials and construction are what matter. Why do you think better filters cost more?

G) The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act in the United States prohibits auto manufacturers from denying warranty claims if aftermarket parts are used and they didn't cause the failure.
Think about why this would be law. It's because aftermarket parts specified for the vehicle application typically meet or exceed the requirements of the vehicle manufacturer. In essence, there is not much of a specification difference to warrant a denial of a warranty claim.

All these factors above go to demonstrate that the filter specs are variable and are greatly affected by engine condition, oil condition, and filter service duration. It's probably why the large majority of the discussions on the internet discuss filter differences and performance based on construction, material quality, and durability. In essence, these factors are what matter in actual application and will be most important in how a filter performs, especially further down service duration.
Things like OEM specs are not as important because they are variable and the aftermarket parts easily meet those unrefined specs. Where they differ is again, construction and materials.

In so many ways, the type of oil and the construction of the oil filter matters so much more than just what the OEM filter specs are, especially given Suzuki uses the same filter for an array of engines. Logic would have it that the Suzuki OEM filter isn't really so important specifically to the Kizashi's engine and a better-made filter like the Mobil 1 is simply better.

Sorry for the "long essays", but I come from a background where making an argument without explanation and evidence is just useless.
Many of us have claimed OEM filter specs are important yet have not argued why. I've argued not only why I think some aftermarket filters are better than OEM, but also why strict adherence to perceived OEM specs is probably not that important.
KuroNekko

I also want to add that when you use synthetic motor oil, you should be extending your oil change interval (OCI) to something longer than just conventional oil.
Keep in mind that the OEM filter was designed to be used with conventional oil and changed with the oil at the intervals specified for conventional oil.

Using synthetics will allow you to extend the OCI, however, you want to be using a filter that can keep up and continue to perform well into those longer service intervals.
Again, the construction and materials of the filter matter in this regard. Filters like the Mobil 1 are better built and hold up well over time while also offering superior filtration.
While I have no doubt OEM filters are great filters, I'm inclined to believe high-end filters like the Mobil 1 will be better after 8000 miles of service and have less material/component deterioration. In fact, it was observed and discussed in this comparison dissection I've already linked before:
http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682139

While the linked thread is regarding Honda OEM filters vs. Mobil 1 in an Acura RDX, you can still imagine how components like the Suzuki OEM filter's fiber end caps hold up vs. the Mobil 1's metal end caps over time in an extended OCI.

Just another thing to keep in mind regarding the debate of OEM filters vs. aftermarket.
~tc~

Synthetic allows you to extend the oil change interval, but a used oil analysis needs to be part of the decision whether you SHOULD extend the interval or not.

For me, 7500 miles (per the book) is way plenty far enough.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic