What tires are best?

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
TB16

I'm in New Delhi, India. CNG gives almost double mileage than petrol/gas. I converted to CNG in Mar'20. Since then have done close to 35k KM on CNG.
SAEED_KIZZY

TB16 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:38 am Hi fellow kizashi owners/experts, has anyone experienced severe tyre wear out only on the rear tyres?

I changed my tyres at 30k KM (18.5k Miles) in Apr'21. Right now at 62k KM (38.5k Miles), both my rear tyres are almost bald whereas my front tyres are good for another 20k KM (12.5k Miles). I have a CNG tank in my boot (75KGs/165 Lbs when full). Could that be the reason for this abnormal behavior or am i missing something?

I'm currently on my 2nd set of tyres which are Goodyear triple max 2 (215/55 R17). The car came with yokohamas from the factory which i changed last year as they were about 10 years old. Although they had a good amount of tread still left but because of the age i changed them.

Very confusing since i dont feel any difference when I'm driving the car. I'm attaching the pictures of the Rear and Front Left tyres. The tyre wear out is absolutely even across the surface of both the Rear tyres.
it could be there is a difference in the load index of Yokohama and Goodyear tires. you mentioned your car is CNG so it put much more weight on the rear suspension.
you can check the load index of tires this way
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
SamirD

TB16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:55 pm I'm in New Delhi, India. CNG gives almost double mileage than petrol/gas. I converted to CNG in Mar'20. Since then have done close to 35k KM on CNG.
That's what I was thinking. I think your rear tires are fakes. That would explain the poor wear.
SamirD

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:25 pmit could be there is a difference in the load index of Yokohama and Goodyear tires.
Another very good point because if the tires are overloaded, then they will wear differently than designed.
TB16

old tech wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:44 pm As these cars age, the rear alignment tends to become a problem. The vehicle naturally settles with rear toe going out, wearing tire tread on the inside . This is supposed to be handled easily with a 4 wheel alignment although rust prone areas like mine, customers usually get the "you need some expensive parts replace before car can be aligned" message. I have been successful at forcing the adjusters and setting toe. See cheap fix tire wear in technical. your wear appears even across tread . Your may be fine but I would check it. Your one tire may be on backwards making it appear different.
I'll check the other side of the tyre just to confirm. I think I'll get 2 new tyres soon for the rear, get alignment done properly once again and then see how it goes. I was reading about some camber angle of rear tyres also. Could that be another reason?
TB16

SAEED_KIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:25 pm
TB16 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:38 am
it could be there is a difference in the load index of Yokohama and Goodyear tires. you mentioned your car is CNG so it put much more weight on the rear suspension.
you can check the load index of tires this way
The extra weight that I'm carrying is 75 Kgs max. That's the weight of an average adult. I highly doubt the added weight is causing this problem. Also 95% of the time, no one is sitting in the rear when I'm driving.
SamirD

TB16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:14 pmI'll check the other side of the tyre just to confirm. I think I'll get 2 new tyres soon for the rear, get alignment done properly once again and then see how it goes. I was reading about some camber angle of rear tyres also. Could that be another reason?
With your wear being completely even across, there's no camber issue as that would show on one side or the other, just like toe.

If the tread doesn't match the other tires, they're either fakes, a different year, or something else that's off. If you have your old yokahamas, I would find out what they were and just get another set of those. There's a good reason to not try to fix what is not broken, and it's because of results like this.
SamirD

TB16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:21 pmThe extra weight that I'm carrying is 75 Kgs max. That's the weight of an average adult. I highly doubt the added weight is causing this problem. Also 95% of the time, no one is sitting in the rear when I'm driving.
Yeah, the CNG tank isn't much weight at all. I didn't think that was the issue.

I am a bit curious about the CNG conversion. Do you still have to switch while driving? ie start on petrol and then switch to cng? Or can you drive 100% from cng? The last cng converted car I saw was nearly 20 years ago so curious how things have changed. You probably have the only cng Kizashi in the entire world! :shock:
TB16

SamirD wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 pm
TB16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:21 pm
I am a bit curious about the CNG conversion.
The car always starts on petrol and when the temperature reaches optimum level, it switches to CNG automatically. There is a switch for change over between petrol and CNG. This can be done when the car is moving also. I've been driving CNG cars since last 15 years. It's as smooth as petrol but the power and torque reduces by 10-15%.
SamirD

TB16 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:52 am
SamirD wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 pm
TB16 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:21 pm
I am a bit curious about the CNG conversion.
The car always starts on petrol and when the temperature reaches optimum level, it switches to CNG automatically. There is a switch for change over between petrol and CNG. This can be done when the car is moving also. I've been driving CNG cars since last 15 years. It's as smooth as petrol but the power and torque reduces by 10-15%.
Interesting. Makes sense while the mileage is better. I wonder how else this will affect the car longer term.