Cruise Control and leather wheel upgrade for Base Manual S

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
cca105983

Is anyone else having a hard time finding the steering wheel? I live in North Carolina and I've spent hours looking for the part in salvage/ junk yards with no luck. I've also tried Ebay with no luck.
sal002

I nabbed one off eBay (which means I have my older one that has cruise still - I just wanted the paddle shifters).
SamirD

sal002 wrote:I nabbed one off eBay (which means I have my older one that has cruise still - I just wanted the paddle shifters).
I'd love to see how this looks in a base S. Pics?
bootymac

sal002 wrote:I did this on my mainly to get the paddle shifters and added buttons and it works nicely. I can say the wheel is off by a few degrees - so might try to reinstall and see what I can fix.

Anyone need a black steering wheel with cruise? :)
So it was completely plug and play to get the paddle shifters working? How much did the wheel cost?
sal002

Yes - complete plug and play. I think it was around $120 for the wheel (I know, but love the paddle shifters)!
bootymac

sal002 wrote:Yes - complete plug and play. I think it was around $120 for the wheel (I know, but love the paddle shifters)!
I don't have much experience with paddle shifters; can you shift manually with the paddles when the shifter in D? Or do you still have to move the shifter into manual mode?
SamirD

bootymac wrote:
sal002 wrote:Yes - complete plug and play. I think it was around $120 for the wheel (I know, but love the paddle shifters)!
I don't have much experience with paddle shifters; can you shift manually with the paddles when the shifter in D? Or do you still have to move the shifter into manual mode?
It works very similar to the older Porsche Tiptronik system. You can shift while in D, but after an inactivity timeout, the car shifts back into D. If you move the floor shifter to M, you can shift from either the floor of the paddles and it holds. 8-)