Electric/Convinience Mods

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
IshaanIan

heated mirrors, wireless charger and perhaps interior lights that come on when the car is parked and switched off instead of only once you open the doors, would be nice :)
avluis

IshaanIan wrote:heated mirrors, wireless charger and perhaps interior lights that come on when the car is parked and switched off instead of only once you open the doors, would be nice :)
I can definitely show off my wireless charger, not a hard one and can be done with just a few items and a bit of electronic knowledge.
The heated mirrors wasn't too hard, but you will be swapping the stock mirrors (but not the backing) and stuffing wiring on a few tight spots. This is a weekend mod (start early in the morning) that is worth it once done (and why I opted for heated and turn signals on the same install).

The lighting option you speak of sounds like it will require a relay and timer circuit and wiring to acc2 & acc. Not too complicated but you will need to add in circuitry and plenty of planning required for those. I'll see if I can put a diagram and some notes together then test them out.

I'll be posting very soon with pictures and all (work keeps me busy) of at least the wireless charger. Visiting a friend with a garage full of tools so that will be the perfect chance to take a few things apart.
2011 Kizashi Sport GTS MT
I do all my installs. <-- Service Manual.
Pulley, Springs, Shift Knob, Sway Bar, Brake Lines, Piggyback, LED lamps, Remote Start, Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors & Turn Signals.
WIKizashi

I thought heated mirrors was a standard feature; I know my SE has them. They turn on with the rear defroster.
murcod

Heated mirrors (in Australia) depend on the model spec. Mine doesn't have them. I don't really miss them, but some people would certainly find them very useful.
David
avluis

OK! Sorry for the silence, I have been dealing with a kidney stone and I was waiting for a part to be able to do a bit of work on the Kizashi.

So I got an A/C Auto Control Panel from an SLS that had heated seats so I will be integrating the stock wiring with my AF Heated Seat wiring and components. Nothing too complicated but just need to verify if the car is prewired to the seats or not (I have the powered Driver seat).
I will also be taking the time to add the heating component to the bottom cushion on the passenger seat (the one with the air bag/weight sensor) so I will be taking pictures of that as I work on it.
Essentially, the whole thing will look stock as if you had gotten the heated seats option in the first place (was not possible to do so were I lived at the time).

Edit:
If anyone with an SLS (GTS w/heated seats) is feeling nice, I need pictures of the internals of the heat control module underneath the seats. Would love to see what sort of electronics are in there.

Edit 2:
No longer need picture of the internals, I will be using an Arduino to provide the switching logic to interface the heat controls on the stock a/c auto control panel with my AF heated seats.
Love what I can do with an Arduino so I thought this would be perfect for it.

For those interested, I will be providing the sketch files and wiring diagram when it is all done along with a quick video (maybe) of it working, etc.
Look forward to this.
Pulley, Springs, Shift Knob, Sway Bar, Brake Lines, Piggyback, LED lamps, Remote Start, Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors & Turn Signals.
avluis

Quick update, all the research and prototyping has been completed on the electrical side of things are done and I have reached 'prototype' code on my Arduino, just a bit more debugging (everything works as meant to but you never know what may creep up, so you test and test).
I have already sent a PCB design to the fab house (I use OSHPark) and they should be here within 3 - 4 weeks (including shipping time).

SO~ Soon enough, I will have something to show and share if you are ever in need of heated seats but don't wish to use the control unit that comes with it and instead would prefer to use the A/C Auto Control Panel that is meant for our cars (with heat buttons of course).
Until then.
SamirD

How cow, what a project!

Hey, you want to help me bring factory HIDs to the North American cars? I'm thinking it will be almost bolt-on, but there's a lot of research on the wiring harnesses that has to be done first.
avluis

SamirD wrote:How cow, what a project!

Hey, you want to help me bring factory HIDs to the North American cars? I'm thinking it will be almost bolt-on, but there's a lot of research on the wiring harnesses that has to be done first.
Hey! Happy New Year!
I can make the time, got a lot of free time here and there.
Weather is unpredictable here, which gets in the way of my own projects as I work on the car, but researching for the HIDs should not be too much of a hands on.
SamirD

avluis wrote:
SamirD wrote:How cow, what a project!

Hey! Happy New Year!
I can make the time, got a lot of free time here and there.
Weather is unpredictable here, which gets in the way of my own projects as I work on the car, but researching for the HIDs should not be too much of a hands on.
Happy New Year! I know how the weather can be down south, but I do miss it sometimes when it's negative something outside. Of course though, I definitely don't miss the scalding summers!

My thoughts are like this--there's a blank panel in the LHD cars where on the LHD HID there's the washer switch. And on most of the fog installs and other installs I've seen that involved that switch panel, it seems like the same harness was used in all the cars. So that means the wiring should be there.

On a photo of the headlight/bumper removal thread, there's definitely a sub-harness for the lights. Now, if there's just a different harness for the HIDs, then all I need is that harness, the washer switch, a different bumper cover to accomodate the washers, and the HID headlights for a bolt-on affair. It may cost a chunk of money, but I think it will be a very nice and unique mod.
avluis

Getting the HIDs working is really just the right harness with a paired HID ballast per side, a bracket for mounting that and of course, the HID lamps themselves.
You can even fit some HID ballasts inside the headlamp housing if you know which ones to buy and can keep the headlamp housing sealed enough to prevent humidity from gathering in there.

Now the auto-leveling will require a controller unless there is already one on the vehicle (need to research this) along with the stepper motors required to drive the adjustments screws up and down/left to right (so two total).

The washer system I haven't researched much, but if it is a manually activated system then it feeds off the same water source but has its own lines and components to activate.
If it is automatic, then it most likely works like above but turns on along with the wipers.