DRLs and Fogs Only

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
dslatsh

KuroNekko wrote:At that price, you're much better off getting HIDs, or better yet, LED bulbs. Better output and longer life.
LEDs are suitable for fog lights because they don't need to cast a focused beam very far. Fog lights are designed to cast a flood of light in the area right in front of the car, under the low beams.
So with that being said KuroNekko, you don't need to add anything special when using LED bulbs unlike HIDs right? I was thinking of replacing my fogs with HIDs or LED bulbs.

I also wanted to replace the headlights eventually with LED or HIDs what would be your opinion for that? Especially since the suzuki uses two different bulbs where I'm more used to my Civic that used the low/high bulb all in one.
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:
So with that being said KuroNekko, you don't need to add anything special when using LED bulbs unlike HIDs right? I was thinking of replacing my fogs with HIDs or LED bulbs.

I also wanted to replace the headlights eventually with LED or HIDs what would be your opinion for that? Especially since the suzuki uses two different bulbs where I'm more used to my Civic that used the low/high bulb all in one.
For HIDs and LEDs to work as replacement bulbs for halogens, it's pretty easy but you need to purchase a kit. The bulbs themselves won't work like halogen bulbs. For HID kits, the kit includes harnesses, ballasts, sometimes external igniters, and the HID bulbs. In the first page of this thread, you see all of this stuff in my photo. The ballast is the thing tucked into the pocket-like cavity on the inside of the bumper. In my opinion, you don't need an HD harness running all the way to the battery just for the fog lights, but some kits (like Morimotos) will come with them anyway. My HID fogs are only powered by the factory harnesses for the fog lights.

As for LEDs, they include a ballast-like thing that is called the controller. LEDs typically also include cooling fins and fans at the base of the bulb. However, for the fog lights, there is a lot of clearance so fitting them shouldn't be an issue. There are no housing caps for fogs either, unlike the headlights. LED kits are optimal for fog bulbs because they typically cast short-range light in a flood pattern. LEDs have a harder time mimicking the narrow focused beam of halogen bulbs when used in halogen-intended housings. This is why LED kits generally don't make good high beams. For them to cast light far, they really need their own dedicated housings like in off-road light bars. Hence, most aftermarket LED kits are specifically marketed as fog lights and I saw many while in Japan.

I think either a HID kit or LED kit would be suitable for the fogs, but if I was to spend the money, I'd go for LEDs for the fogs. I personally have HIDs, but it's because the previous owner put them in and I merely upgraded them with better HID bulbs.

As for low beams, HIDs definitely work very well. I've had HIDs in my Kizashi since Day 1 (previous owner put in a kit there too) and think they are a much better option than halogens given the pain it is to replace bulbs in the Kizashi. As for LEDs, the newer kits may work but you need to be careful about an LED bulb's compatibility with a projector housing. My reading is that many LED kits don't optimally emit light for the projector housing to properly cast it out. Hence, most LED conversion kits for low beam purposes are intended for multi-reflector housings.

As for the high beams, I've already gone through the pain of experimenting for you a few years ago. Most LEDs aren't going to give you the far-reaching light high beams are intended for. They will also likely flicker as DRLs given the Kizashi uses a pulsating voltage for the DRL system. I had a LED kit as high beam/DRLs but ended up returning it after consulting with the kit's manufacturer who stated themselves that LED kits aren't optimal for high beams or pulsing DRL systems. However, I should note that technology is never static so there are always developments and progress. LED kits for projectors and high beam use are entering the marketing now so there are kits that may actually work fine. This is a new kit from VLEDs that wasn't around when I tried another LED conversion kit from them. This new one looks specifically intended for projector and high beam compatibility: http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headligh ... 7-lmz.html
Only trying them out can tell whether they will work for our cars.

HIDs are also a risky investment as high beams because Xenon bulbs require warm-up. After turning on a cold HID bulb, it takes about 10~15 seconds for it to warm up to normal operating output and color. Given that high beams are typically flashed or used sporadically, HID kits are ill-suited for high beams. After the LED experimentation, I opted with halogens for high beams, but high performance ones (I still need to install my Osram Rallye H7 halogens for my high beams).

Below are photos of what typical HID and LED kits include. You'll need all of this as a conversion kit from halogens.

LED:

HID:
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
dslatsh

Wow. Thank you for all that information! When you say the led casts a short beam does that mean how your picture looks with your fogs on beam may be a little shorter but at least it will be brighter then the halogens?
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:Wow. Thank you for all that information! When you say the led casts a short beam does that mean how your picture looks with your fogs on beam may be a little shorter but at least it will be brighter then the halogens?
I first want to start by saying that my fog lights pictured in the first page are HIDs and the bulbs are 3000K (golden color temperature). HIDs will be the brightest option however, fog lights don't actually need to be too bright because their range is limited by housing design anyway. In terms of LED, HID, or halogens in the fog lights, their beams will all be short and pointed to the ground (as fog lights should be) but a brighter bulb will simply cast more surrounding light. The biggest difference is in low side vision. My HID fog lights greatly help illuminate the sides of the road when things are very dark. They help in spotting out the road lines and animals on the side of the road more so than halogen fog lights ever did. However, in actual dense fog, I think my bulbs are too bright and will create more glare than desired. I don't live in an area with dense fog so I don't really care, but bright lights are actually a bad thing for visibility in fog. It's why they tell you not to use high beams in fog.

In terms of the "LEDs cast a short beam", I'm talking about a general sense when they are in any automotive light housing. They seem to have a harder time reflecting the light properly so they don't throw down the light as far despite being brighter than halogens. While LED kits are improving and performing better, they are still best suited for fog light usage over headlight low beam or high beam when installed in OE housings originally designed for halogen bulbs. This is because fog lights don't need to throw a beam very far anyway. I think a good LED kit should get you the performance you want while offering a color that you desire. If you are looking for some output power, make sure to get a kit that is outputting at least 2700 lumens.
dslatsh

I think I decided to go more towards the HID. Only because I wouldn't mind the extra brightness to help be able to see the lines on the road like how you said.....I live in western new york so basically when it's dark out..it's DARK out. Is there any certain brand that would be better then others? I know they have them on Amazon like these for around 50-70 buckshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF ... _i=desktop

Or i was looking at some IJDMtoy http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Slim-Digital-B ... it.htm#des
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:I think I decided to go more towards the HID. Only because I wouldn't mind the extra brightness to help be able to see the lines on the road like how you said.....I live in western new york so basically when it's dark out..it's DARK out. Is there any certain brand that would be better then others? I know they have them on Amazon like these for around 50-70 buckshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZF ... _i=desktop

Or i was looking at some IJDMtoy http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Slim-Digital-B ... it.htm#des
I'd recommend Morimotos from theretrofitsource.com. These are quite good and the people over at TheRetrofitSource are great with customer support. I've personally communicated with them on numerous occasions and their staff are top notch. They may be more expensive, but the quality is definitely better and these are backed by a 5 year warranty for the 35W kits. They also don't sell garbage like the 10,000K+ bulbs that are very blue, purple, or pink. They stick to useful Kelvin temp colors. The fog lights you see on the first page are Morimoto bulbs with a 3000K color temperature. The ballasts are from a cheap kit that came with the car, but the bulbs sucked and were mismatched in color and output. It's why I got the Morimoto bulbs which are much better.
The Morimoto kit also comes with an HD harness that directly powers the kit from the battery for a more stable and reliable power supply. However, it may not be necessary to use.
This is the kit I would recommend. Our fog light bulbs are H11.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hid-s ... peqNVJCiFU
dslatsh

oh wow...wasn't thinking be that much lol. Now for the power...I noticed our fog lights + headlights are 55w...is there any reason to not go with an HID kit that does 50W or 55W?
KuroNekko

dslatsh wrote:oh wow...wasn't thinking be that much lol. Now for the power...I noticed our fog lights + headlights are 55w...is there any reason to not go with an HID kit that does 50W or 55W?
You don't want cheap HID kits. Much like many things in life, paying too little means you get cheap shit. HID kits are electronics with sensitive components like plasma-powered bulbs, ballasts, and ignitors; all of which should be waterproof. Getting a cheap kit will risk these components being of low quality and low reliability. Given the time and effort it takes to install an HID, trust me that you don't want to mess around fixing problems if you can avoid them. In my opinion, you can't get a good HID kit under $100. Several years ago, that price threshold was $300 to show you perspective on how much good ones should cost. Also keep in mind these are brighter and longer lasting than halogens so they save you time and hassle from replacing bulbs, assuming you got a quality kit.

As for the power, there are typically 35W kits and 55W kits. The 55Ws are obviously higher power and have brighter outputs, but there are issues with them that you should consider:
1. HID systems were intended and designed to be 35W. One of the benefits to them is a lower operating wattage to free up the electrical load on the car which means better efficiency.
2. Just about all HID bulbs are designed to run on 35W ballasts. While the same bulbs can be powered by 55W, they weren't designed for it. Therefore, the result is color washout and shorter bulb life because 55Ws is basically over-powering them.
3. 55W kits have a shorter warranty because they have a shorter life in general. They also risk damaging your headlight housing and harnesses from the greater wattage and heat.
4. 35W is plenty bright. Even these are emitting twice the output of halogens in lumens. 55Ws will likely be too bright for oncoming traffic in most urban areas unless meticulously aimed. I personally wouldn't get them unless I lived in the countryside or frequently offroaded at night.
5. The brightest bulbs aren't the best suited for fog light duty. Yeah, brighter bulbs will illuminate better, but in fog, it will create more glare. Having HIDs as fog lights is very bright so 55W will probably be too much. I honestly don't use my fog lights too much because I'm afraid they may be too bright for oncoming traffic in normal conditions.
MrNWA

I think im going to mount a light bar behind the grill either 2 in the upper just above the S or 1 longer in the bottom grill I've seen a few EVO guys do this here in Calgary and its quite grown on me lol
KuroNekko

MrNWA wrote:I think im going to mount a light bar behind the grill either 2 in the upper just above the S or 1 longer in the bottom grill I've seen a few EVO guys do this here in Calgary and its quite grown on me lol
I like these too but don't need them where I drive. A member here had an LED light bar in his lower grill and had some impressive output. Sadly, it was stolen given it was mounted in his grill rather than behind it. I think it's better to install them behind the grill like undercover police cars, but that will also diminish the light output given the obstruction from the grill.