Awd cvt transfer case and rear differential

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
Schizzle22

Hi guys, I'm new to diy, but i changed my spark plugs, air filters and my friend taught me to change my oil and now I want to learn to change my transfer case and rear diff oil. My car just hit 104k miles and this has never been done or brought to my attention before. Any chance anyone have pictures or step by step instructions? I have ramps to elevate my car. I know I need to take off the fill plug first, but that's about it. Thanks.
WIKizashi

I'm pretty sure someone has posted a guide so search around. As for tips, I have a few:
--Definitely spring for the pump that screws onto the top of the gear oil bottle as it will save you a lot of hassle.

--I think you'll need more than just ramps to do the transfer/diff because I think the vehicle is supposed to be level when you fill it. The transfer case was pretty easy: drive up on the ramps, drain (after removing fill plug first as you mentioned), then jack up the rear and set on jack stands roughly level with the ramp height to fill. For the rear diff, if I recall correctly the fill hole faces the passenger side of the car and the drain hole faces the front. So what I did was keep the car on the ramps but jack up the back so it's a bit higher to drain, then level it and fill.

--The drain plug for the rear diff was the hardest plug to access for me. It's in a tight spot and I had to find the right combo of extensions and maybe a swivel to get it.

--The rear diff is the jack point to raise the rear and it's pretty far up the length of the car so you don't have a lot of space to pump the jack. I think I was able to rig up some sort of shorter handle to pump the jack and even then you're getting like 1/4 the stroke. Then it's in the way so you have to keep pulling it out when you do the height adjustments between drain/fill.
Schizzle22

Thanks! That info is very helpful. I'll def get a pump. The only other info on here is from a manual kizashi. I know ours are built differently.
WIKizashi

Yes, manual Kizashis were not available with AWD so no transfer case or rear differential oil changes needed. As for the guide, my other car is also AWD so I might be thinking of the one posted for it on that owners' forum. I do think the procedures are detailed in the shop manual, though, which is available on through this forum, so I'd try and check that out, too.
Schizzle22

Good to know, I'll search for the shop manual! My kizashi didn't come with a manual so that will be very helpful.
vratnik

Where is the transfer case located?