Headlight Cleaning

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

I had to deal with this problem on my 96 Galant after the headlights got to the point they were just about not visible anymore.

I didn't want a temporary solution--I wanted permanent. So what I finally found that worked was a kit made for aircraft acrylic. It consisted of a set of 3 doubled sided sanding pads and a small amount of 'polishing solution' as well as the cloth to apply it with. You had to sand the headlight in one directly with the finest pad grit that completely scratched the whole headlight (yikes!), and then do the same perpendicularly with the next finest pad. I thought I had ruin my headlights forever until I used the 'polishing solution' (which must be like a very, very fine polish) and the headlights looked like glass again. I'll look up the kit if someone wants the name as it's been over a decade now since I used it, but the headlights still look awesome. I've even got pics of it...somewhere (I just can't remember when I did it).