CVT Fluid Drain and Fill w/ Filters Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
n8dogg

[quote="AFerran1" BTW: what size is the pan magnet (if any)?[/quote]

There are two magnets, O shaped ones, maybe 2" diameter ish? Way bigger than any magnetic drain plug!
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
LPSISRL

OK, I'm getting ready to do the flush-n-fill. My 2011 SLS FWD had the transmission replaced under warranty at about 76K miles. It's now at 126K miles so it's a bit overdue. It was replaced in 2016 with a new CVT. How can I tell if they installed one from a later year? How can I tell which pan filter, coolant line filter and O-ring to obtain? Or are they all the same for my situation? I have sitting in my garage 20 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid. Am I ok with:

2824A006 CVT line filter (Mitsubishi)
2920A096 O-ring
26572-57LRO Pan filter (Suzuki)

Not sure if I'll be able to find the Suzuki pan filter.
I also found that at both O'Reilly's and Advanced Auto they sell a filter kit that includes the cartridge for the coolant line and the pan filter/o-ring. Can someone tell me if this is not correct?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... lter%20kit

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... lter&pos=1
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
old tech

To make things simple, I would recommend just cleaning your pan filter and reusing the gasket, both items are very high-quality. The ones that you buy at the parts store are pretty poor quality in my opinion. On the question of what year your replacement transmission is, basically the 2010 and 11 used a shallow pan with magnets going front to rear. Dimples on the pan to hold them in place. on the 2012 and 13 model yr , They used a deeper pan. The magnets now are going from left to right . The dimples can be seen from pan exterior. The proper filter needs to be used . A shallow filter used in a deep pan can lead to starvation damage. On the cooler filter, I have never found anything to speak of in the filter and I have torn into a lot of these . I wouldn’t change it until 90k miles . The fluid change, pan filter clean and pan debris inspection should be done every 30k miles or sooner. Here is a picture of earlier Kizashi panImage
Next is the picture of Kizashi pan for 2012-13Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LPSISRL

@old tech: Thank you! So since this transmission is at 50K miles, I'll simply clean the pan filter and perform multiple fluid drain-n- fills. Next time around I'll change the coolant line filter.
What do you recommend to clean the pan straining filter?
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
old tech

I pull it off and use brake clean and compressed air. Take a second and inspect rear of pan floor for what look like chrome peelings. There shouldnt be any. Im sure this could save most of these transmissions for pennys in parts if addressed when primary balls first start to fail. I like to add a few thin arts and crafts magnets at the very rear.
LPSISRL

So just stick a few strong magnets to the bottom of the pan? They won't ever cause an issue?
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
old tech

The shallow pan has limited space but a few thin ones work nicely back there. You can tell when putting the pan back on if magnets are in an ok spot.
AFerran1

FYI:
The pan filter I got (new) is made by Nissan (p/n 31728-1XF02).
The pan gasket is from FelPro (p/n TOS 18755)

I still need to find a suitable gasket dressing compound (I used Hylomar in the past, but is no longer available locally).

Hope this follow-up helps.
AFerran1

LPSISRL wrote:OK, I'm getting ready to do the flush-n-fill. My 2011 SLS FWD had the transmission replaced under warranty at about 76K miles. It's now at 126K miles so it's a bit overdue. It was replaced in 2016 with a new CVT. How can I tell if they installed one from a later year? How can I tell which pan filter, coolant line filter and O-ring to obtain? Or are they all the same for my situation? I have sitting in my garage 20 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid. Am I ok with:

2824A006 CVT line filter (Mitsubishi)
2920A096 O-ring
26572-57LRO Pan filter (Suzuki)

Not sure if I'll be able to find the Suzuki pan filter.
I also found that at both O'Reilly's and Advanced Auto they sell a filter kit that includes the cartridge for the coolant line and the pan filter/o-ring. Can someone tell me if this is not correct?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... lter%20kit

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/po ... lter&pos=1
Both links look like the correct parts.
AFerran1

LPSISRL wrote:So just stick a few strong magnets to the bottom of the pan? They won't ever cause an issue?
I do not see how magnets could affect the functionality of the CVT. BTW: does anyone know of a mail-order source for the magnets?