CVT Fluid Drain and Fill w/ Filters Replacement

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:
IMG_1740.JPG

Anyone need a p/n looked up, just let me know.
Since we don't exactly have a complete set of part numbers, and since we now have this wonderful new resource thanks to Ronzuki, we should start a thread with all the known part numbers we have. And Ronzuki, if you're up for it, I have access to a high speed scanner and could scan the entire book to pdf for all of us.
Ronzuki

Updated original post adding the third drain/fill and replacement of both filters to the end.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:Updated original post adding the third drain/fill and replacement of both filters to the end.
Awesome update. Thank you VERY MUCH for the detailed pictures of the filter housing removal. When I was reading about the bolt from underneath I was trying to visualize since I thought 'there's no way he got under there to take a pic', and then BAM!--PIC! Thank you for documenting or explaining this procedure so well. 8-)
OliverB

Any estimate on how much oil was left at the bottom of the pan after draining? I'm thinking about dropping the pan after every flush.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
n8dogg

I just did mine without taking too much notice of what was left in the pan, so don't shoot me if I'm not completely accurate, but I'd say about 3/4 qt. I did take a measurement of the total in the transmission with the pan removed so that I could refill...it was just shy of 5 qts. Sounds like you're already planning on flushing it, that will get most of it. I had neglected to change the fluid at all in my 94k miles of ownership, so I removed the pan and changed the filters as well during my flush. In the future I will do more regular partial oil changes, so I don't think I'll bother with removing the pan or changing filters again...for a while at least.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
OliverB

Out of curiosity, how much did you spend on the cvt fluid
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
WESHOOT2

I admit admiration for you folks who tackle your vehicle issues.
I just reach in my wallet........
n8dogg

OliverB wrote:Out of curiosity, how much did you spend on the cvt fluid
I got Idemistu brand green CVT fluid from NAPA on sale for $8/qt.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
Ronzuki

The OE Suzuki green retailed for $20/qt. I think I got it for just over $11 for the last bulk buy. First round I bought was about $15/qt.
Ron

Ronzuki

WESHOOT2 wrote:I admit admiration for you folks who tackle your vehicle issues.
I just reach in my wallet........
If I could find someone again I could trust, I wouldn't hesitate to reach in to my wallet either. Crawlin' around under a car on floor ramps isn't doin' it for me anymore. It is, however, still less aggravating than the alternative.
Ron