Idea for adding remote start

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
tybskiner

It's cold and snowing here and that always makes me wish I had remote start. Then I remembered thats too expensive and thought why not try to DIY it. I'm attaching a picture with my schematic and more details of how I'm thinking this could work and I'd like to get some opinions. If I can get something figured I'll post a guide once it warms up and I get a chance to install it. Thanks.
Attachments
Idea for remote start@4x.png
Idea for remote [email protected] (216.04 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
SAEED_KIZZY

tybskiner wrote:It's cold and snowing here and that always makes me wish I had remote start. Then I remembered thats too expensive and thought why not try to DIY it. I'm attaching a picture with my schematic and more details of how I'm thinking this could work and I'd like to get some opinions. If I can get something figured I'll post a guide once it warms up and I get a chance to install it. Thanks.
Good idea,but let's forget about the electrical part(fun part :D ) and talk about the overall use case:
The keyless starter module uses FOB to identify the owner and then let the driver start a car so as you said you need to put remote FOB into the car so you cannot lock the doors. in this situation, you need to use a car key instead of a door handle or remote FOB to lock and unlock the car and put your remote FOB in the car which can be dangerous.
but let's say there is a use case for this design OK first you need car wiring diagram which is available for Kizashi and it is Kizashi service manual look for Starter key wiring and brake pedal wiring and I am sure you can find BAT or IG power from car wiring so you don't need cigarette outlet.
tybskiner

Saeed_Kizzy, You're right about the issues around the FOB. In my own case I live out in the country on private land and my closest neighbors are family. I never lock my car at home anyways and normally leave my FOB in the car. Even my work office is in the outskirts of town off a lonely back road. So in my case leaving the key in it is something I normally do 90% of the places I would be using the remote start.
On a side note, I wonder if there is a way / device that could basically clone and output whatever the key does. I only have 1 FOB so playing around with it is not an option for me if I want to be able to drive lol. If I had a second key it could be powered by the Arduino and coded to power it on first for x amount of time during the remote start sequence but be left unpowered at all other times.
Also, thanks for the heads up on the wiring guide. I've had the idea of doing something like this before and figured I could fairly simply, but haven't actually researched it or planned until now. I knew there had to be some switches I could parallel with my controls but wasn't sure where, I'll find that wiring guide and refine my idea. I thought of using 12v from the cig outlet since it is only present when the car is on and I figured I'd hide my contraption somewhere behind the headunit anyways so it would be easy and close to tap that 12v feed leaving the outlet itslef free. For the heck of it, I'll also look for possible ways to control other things like the door locks and HVAC remotely lol.
I appreciate the feedback and thoughts! Thanks.
SAEED_KIZZY

tybskiner wrote:Saeed_Kizzy, You're right about the issues around the FOB. In my own case I live out in the country on private land and my closest neighbors are family. I never lock my car at home anyways and normally leave my FOB in the car. Even my work office is in the outskirts of town off a lonely back road. So in my case leaving the key in it is something I normally do 90% of the places I would be using the remote start.
On a side note, I wonder if there is a way / device that could basically clone and output whatever the key does. I only have 1 FOB so playing around with it is not an option for me if I want to be able to drive lol. If I had a second key it could be powered by the Arduino and coded to power it on first for x amount of time during the remote start sequence but be left unpowered at all other times.
Also, thanks for the heads up on the wiring guide. I've had the idea of doing something like this before and figured I could fairly simply, but haven't actually researched it or planned until now. I knew there had to be some switches I could parallel with my controls but wasn't sure where, I'll find that wiring guide and refine my idea. I thought of using 12v from the cig outlet since it is only present when the car is on and I figured I'd hide my contraption somewhere behind the headunit anyways so it would be easy and close to tap that 12v feed leaving the outlet itslef free. For the heck of it, I'll also look for possible ways to control other things like the door locks and HVAC remotely lol.
SAEED_KIZZY

tybskiner wrote:Saeed_Kizzy, You're right about the issues around the FOB. In my own case I live out in the country on private land and my closest neighbors are family. I never lock my car at home anyways and normally leave my FOB in the car. Even my work office is in the outskirts of town off a lonely back road. So in my case leaving the key in it is something I normally do 90% of the places I would be using the remote start.
If you have both FOBs I still recommended you not to do that because there is no schematic or service manual for it.
on the other hand using brake pedal or start button can be done just what wire to tap into but you need to know about risk of doing that blowing some fuses or in bad cases damaging car ECUs.
I sent 1 page from service manual about the keyless started schematic.look into it maybe it helps you what to do (or not to do) next.
Keyless_Starter.pdf
(2.07 MiB) Downloaded 471 times
SAEED_KIZZY

actually about 2 years ago I was tired of searching for aftermarket accessories so I decided to design one for my car and came up with these ideas:
1- automatic locking all door when car speed above 30km/h
2- automatic hazard light flash when car acceleration is below -5m/s2.
3- automatic mirror fold when the car deadlock mechanism activated.
4- automatically unlock all doors when car speed below 10 km/h and the parking brake is activated.
tybskiner

I work as a technician for a company that develops SCADA systems so figuring out how to control something is an every day thing for me Finding the information on what you want to control can be the difficult part lol. I downloaded a 41mb service manual I found here earlier today and skimmed through it when I had a quick second. The page you posted I don't remember seeing in what I downloaded earlier and that'll it looks like it has the info I need.

As for the key, yeah I only have 1 so I wouldn't be messing with it but if I did it would basically be replacing the battery with a power source controlled by the Arduino. Pretty much just removing and connecting the power "battery" depending on commands. A second key might be a next step later on once I get this working.

All those things you mentioned controlling are definitely possible, just have to find the info on how they work currently lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
SAEED_KIZZY

tybskiner wrote:I work as a technician for a company that develops SCADA systems so figuring out how to control something is an every day thing for me Finding the information on what you want to control can be the difficult part lol. I downloaded a 41mb service manual I found here earlier today and skimmed through it when I had a quick second. The page you posted I don't remember seeing in what I downloaded earlier and that'll it looks like it has the info I need.

As for the key, yeah I only have 1 so I wouldn't be messing with it but if I did it would basically be replacing the battery with a power source controlled by the Arduino. Pretty much just removing and connecting the power "battery" depending on commands. A second key might be a next step later on once I get this working.

All those things you mentioned controlling are definitely possible, just have to find the info on how they work currently lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
OK that explains a lot :D :D
Driving kizashi has a lot of fun but design something for it is another level of fun for me.
about FOB you are right you can take 2 wires from the battery out and use it no problem but tapping into start button key wires pay attention to 5V pull-up design inside keyless starter module.
and one other thing about Bluetooth. Bluetooth range is a little short (10m) don't you think about other wireless methods with long ranger range?