camshaft sensor issues

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
s_adair3006

i have a 2010 suzuki kizashi 2.4 auto and a p016 code came on so i kept driving it and it started to have idle issues and hard starts and one night went to start it it fired up idle really bad revved it up and let of and it died and wont start back.So i replaced cam sensor and still nothing wont start was i supposed to change crankshaft also?? need help
s_adair3006

has anybody changed their cam sensor and not the crankshaft sensor and fixed problem
Woodie

I assume you mean P0016

You've got a valve timing problem, could be a loose sprocket or a failed chain tensioner. If it was a problem with the sensor then the ECM would stop adjusting VVT and use a fixed timing setting, continuing to run, just with reduced power and mileage.

Hopefully old tech will notice this post, he has a tonne of experience with Kizashi failure codes.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
old tech

It would be helpful to know how many miles and how often the oil got changed on this one but I see quite a few Kizashi's and have yet to see one with this trouble in person . There have been more than a few on this site. Cam and crank sensors are not the problem. Either the chain or a stuck vvt actuator. The actuator is a cylinder shaped piece with 2 wires going to it just above the oil pressure switch Unplug it and hook up a power and ground to it momentarily. It should click. If you can start engine, keep engine running as low of rpm as you can and hit actuator again with 12v and there should be a change in the way its running.If no click or change then actuator is stuck and should be changed. I have seen alot of Toyotas stick and we just tapped near the actuator while car was running poorly and they would straighten out then we would unplug it until we got the new one. I have heard of the Kizashi's needing the chain to cure this code though.
s_adair3006

It has a about 140,000 and it made like noise at start up bad idle then Rev up clean ran good and noise goes away and it was over the oil change .chain seems very tight also
s_adair3006

Would a stuck vvt actuator keep it from starting.
old tech

Not directly I dont think but could make plugs prone to fouling. 140 k miles and that vale cover probably needs changed anyway. Take a look at cam timing if your actuator clicks.
s_adair3006

old tech so since the car wont start is it possible it is crank sensor, or do you think timing chain has slipt and needs replaced, it made a clattering noice for awhile at start up but when went away quick and just had rough idle, then the other week i started it and it started and did that same noise so i just reved it up a little and let off and it died didnt even idle and wont start back kinda hits a little but nothing.... any more ideas would be very thankful sir... thanks alot
old tech

If you have the luxury of a scan tool that can show data and it shows you have some rpm while cranking then crank sensor is fine. Or If you have spark then its fine. The correlation code is the ecu s way of saying i got both cam and crank signals but one is not happen at the correct time. Check cam timing
kizashiwanter

s_adair3006 did you solve the problem?