New here need advice

Introduce yourself here, also we will post links to topics we find the most valuable on the forum to help out new members.
Mianat

Hi all, my name is Angus.

kizashi to 2012 sx4 engine swap

Is it possible?

Has anyone tried it?

My 2012 runs perfectly and has always been fed Mobil One synthetic oil. Still, eventually all engines die and I have 90,000 miles on the car. My commute is 100 miles give or take each day.

Eventually, that day will come. If that should happen, it would be a great time to upgrade.
KuroNekko

I doubt it. They don't use the same engine.
The Kizashi uses a 2.4 liter inline 4.
The SX4 uses a 2.0 liter inline 4. I have doubts the larger engine would fit. Even if, you'd likely need to upgrade the transmission to handle the larger, more powerful engine which brings me to my other point: your transmission will likely wear out before your engine if you drive an automatic.

While most of us love our Suzukis, major investments like engine swaps and new transmissions aren't worth it for our cars with their dismal resale value. Unless you have a reliable and affordable source for replacement powertrains and an affordable means of labor for installation, I can't see how it's worth it to replace an engine or transmission in a Suzuki in the US or Canada. Suzuki left our regions several years ago and Suzuki cars are worth little in market value.

I think the best plan is to treat your vehicle well and maintain it best you can. When things wear out or break in a way that costs thousands to fix, bid the vehicle farewell and get a replacement vehicle.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SAEED_KIZZY

Not possible ;)
Last edited by SAEED_KIZZY on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronzuki

Mianat wrote: My 2012 runs perfectly and has always been fed Mobil One synthetic oil. Still, eventually all engines die and I have 90,000 miles on the car. My commute is 100 miles give or take each day.

Eventually, that day will come. If that should happen, it would be a great time to upgrade.
At 90k, that SX4 engine has TONS of life left in it. There are 200k+ mile early model SX4s running around. Assuming your SX4 is not a manual trans, the engine will very likely outlast the CVT in a 2012, as was noted, especially if you've baby'd it with your maintenance routine.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Woodie

They're both J engines, essentially the same block, so it's very possible that it would bolt right in. Might have to swap the transmission too as Suzuki will sometimes use a different transmission when they get to the very top of an engine line, doubt if they were foreseeing 185 hp when they first designed the J series engine and tranny. The big problem is going to be engine controls, the SX4 computer is not going to understand how to properly manage a J24, and the Kizashi ECM is not going to understand all the rest of the car around it.

As Ronzuki said. a Suzuki engine with Mobil One in it will probably go 200K miles. The CVT (if that's what you have) is far more likely to give you trouble.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I'd have to say the Kizashi engine and transmission package would bolt in to the SX4...if engine and trans mount bosses are the same...potential big 'if'. Far as I know it's the same block just punched out to 2.4l. CVT is the same Jatco unit. The electronics to run it all is definitely going to be THE biggest hurdle to over come. There's a guy here in our shop that attempted to put a newer Nissan engine into an older late 90s Nissan pickup. Let's just say he FINALLY got it to fire and go down the road...with the entire donor wiring harness and electronics jumbled up on the floor consuming the entire foot well of the passenger seat. This is in addition to the original wiring and electronics, which, strikes the point made by Woodie above. The Kizashi transfer case may or may not be the same as the SX4's however (assuming both are AWD). Getting the engine/CVT in to the car, physically, is definitely the easy part. All other mechanical and electrical connections are an entirely different story.

In short, I'd never even consider this to be an option not only with Suzuki, but any modern vehicle. We have certainly ushered in the days of throw-away automobiles due to over-complication.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
old tech

I know for sure that the 2.4 bolts up to your existing sx4 transmission and internals are just fine . I would think that both engines are identical electronically but injectors are sized for engine displacement so you will need to make sure the donor has them. The part that could throw a monkey wrench into the swap is engine mounting points, sx4 power steering pump mount up and manifolds,both intake and exhaust.
SAEED_KIZZY

from electrical point of view if you change engine you have to change ECM. in this case air condition module may not work correctly to control blower fan or compressor and there might be a problem with ESP module too and also Keless start module.