Future Kizashi owner?

Introduce yourself here, also we will post links to topics we find the most valuable on the forum to help out new members.
sonjashi

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to buy my first car. It's not something i thought too much about before but after doing some research i found some suzuki kizashi's in my area and fell in love...
Now I'm wondering about buying a Kizashi with high mileage, the lowest i can find is a 2013 kizashi SE with 108,000km for about $8,500. I'm just worried that buying a car at that mileage will cost me a lot in repairs which i really would rather avoid.
If anyone has any advice on what to avoid and which models are the best please leave a reply! Thanks! :)
:drive:
Woodie

That's too much money, it's worth around $6,000.

The only thing to worry about as far as reliability goes is the transmission. The manual is fine, but the automatic is made of glass.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KlutzNinja

@ Woodie: sounds like sonjashi may be from Australia? (Going by the use of $ and kilometers)
In American dollars, the stated price is $5738.90.

Could also be Canadian, although in my experience Canadians say CAD when referring to their currency. If that were the case here the price would be $6540.23 in American dollars.
The mileage is around 67,108.

@ sonjashi: the CVT is the biggest source of complaints with the Kizashi’s reliability, but I’ve heard that rear shocks and other suspension bits often need replacing around 60k miles (i.e. close to what the Kizashi you’re looking at has). Mine is around 61k miles and the rear suspension groans a bit and the ride is not as composed as I’d like.

The headlight bulbs are also known to burn out, although I haven’t run into that issue. The fix is relatively straightforward, at least on the right side. Left side usually requires undoing the bumper but that should be okay, if just more tedious and requiring some care.

Are you willing to work on the more minor repairs and maintenance at home? There are Kizashi-specific YouTube videos for that which can help keep costs down.

Do you live near a Suzuki service center? Their website has a locator.
Recalls are issued periodically, and while most of us don’t seem to always take our cars in to get them fixed, every now and then there is a more serious recall. Not sure what the Suzuki situation is in Canada or Australia but here in the States the service centers are usually scattered far and few between.
Last edited by KlutzNinja on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KlutzNinja

Some more pointers:

Check online, like on eBay, for available key fobs. If the listed car only has one and you lose it, you’re out of luck. It’s also possible to leave the fob inside the car by accident, and then the car locks (sometimes on its own) and you have to break in to get it. You can only use Kizashi fobs (no aftermarket stuff or identical looking Nissan fobs) as far as I know. There’s a specific term that’s used to describe the type of fob you want, and while I forget what it’s called it lets you link it to your Kizashi. The type you don’t want won’t let you link it unless a locksmith unlocks it or something. On that note, make sure there’s someone in your area who can work on car key fobs like the Kizashi’s.

2013 Kizashis didn’t come standard with spare tires, but rather a tire patch kit and compressor, in order to save weight for the sake of fuel economy. It’s possible to get a spare from a Kizashi through a place like eBay, which is what I did for my 2013 Kizashi. If you go to the seller to inspect the car I’d suggest checking under the trunk floor, just to be sure.

If you test drive the Kizashi, be sure to take it to a nearby independent mechanic to look the car over. They can tell you if the car has been in an accident or has quirks that the dealer might not disclose. Call a well-regarded mechanic ahead of the test drive; they should be able to do it for free. If the dealer won’t let you do it, I’d pass on the car because that suggests they might be hiding something.

Also, ask the seller if they changed anything like the battery, the oil and oil filter, or the tires. I thought mine did all of those, but the oil seemed to be really old and dirty when I changed it a little over a year from getting the car. Like much more so than a year with the same oil lol. The guy at the DIY shop I did this at kept going “wow that should have been changed a long time ago.” Knowing the oil one will help you know when to change the oil for the first time.

Some of this isn’t Kizashi-specific but since it’s your first car purchase I hope it helps with whatever car you choose.

I personally like the look of the Kizashi trims with Sport in the name. Or whatever gets you the sporty look. I lucked out when a GTS Sport became available, but I might have bought a non-Sport model as well. But if I did I would probably be kicking myself because I really like the chrome trim around the foglights, the slightly different grill, and the 18-inch wheels that look great. I’m honestly not a fan of the other wheel designs on the Kizashi.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
KuroNekko

Woodie nailed it. Do not pay more than several thousand for a Kizashi, really regardless of mileage. Resale value is dismal and parts are harder and harder to find as the company left the US and Canada several years ago.
Also, at the age and mileage you find most Kizashis now, I'd also avoid any automatic transmission model. This is because the Kizashi used CVTs with some rather fragile parts that are now starting to fail. It didn't help that Suzuki didn't recommend any sort of servicing for CVTs either so most Kizashis with CVTs never got fluids or filters changed until high mileage which is not ideal.

However, if you know how or want to learn how to drive a manual, and can find one, a manual transmission Kizashi is a solid choice. These are very reliable. I have a 2011 manual Sport GTS and it's only been to the Suzuki service dealer twice and currently has 94,000 miles. It otherwise runs on maintenance and easy repairs by me. I have no qualms about it running long past 200K miles and I really don't think many CVT models will get there without a transmission replacement or rebuild.

Given you are looking for a first car, I really can only recommend something reliable, cheap to operate, and built to last you a while and quite frankly, an automatic Kizashi in high mileage isn't that anymore. I hate to say it, but you're much better off with a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda3, any Scion, and the like if you are only interested in a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

KlutzNinja wrote:@ Woodie: sounds like sonjashi may be from Australia? (Going by the use of $ and kilometers)
In American dollars, the stated price is $5738.90.
Very good point. I converted the kilometers but completely blanked as to what was meant by $. Other flavors of dollars are not the same value, and if it's Australia the car is not an orphan as it is here in North America. Suzuki is a respected brand in most of the world.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

The OP stated he was looking at a Kizashi SE which is a trim level for the USDM and Canada. I suspect he's in Canada.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ImperialTazer

I have a 2011 SE, CVT tranny. Shes at 180,000 miles, and I've had no issues with the transmission yet. It has been through 2 wrecks also, but mostly was body damage or rear shocks and control arm. I have a flush set up for this spring. The Suzuki is my 2nd car, and it is my 2nd favorite, 1st being Subaru WRX CVT haha. I will say that most of the miles on my car are highway, not town/city. :drive:
Ive done a few modifications to it as well, nothing too serious for performance wise, just the exhaust for the noise :D
~2011 Suzuki Kizashi AWD CVT SE Dark Blue- Modified
Ronzuki

What kind of servicing has this 180,000 mile CVT seen in its existence? And, is it the original factory unit that was installed in the car?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
ImperialTazer

New battery, standard oil changes, (My dad changed oil every 2000 miles i believe, i do it about that too). all oils were changed (transmission, power steering, brake, ect) and will be changed again at 200,000 miles. And I believe that the OG FU is the one in it. Dealership doesnt know for 100%. So basically keeping up with oil changes, annual checks, and taking good care of it has made it last this long
~2011 Suzuki Kizashi AWD CVT SE Dark Blue- Modified