It comes to an end... Suzuki files chapter 11

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
george

Great post KuroNekko!

I too am a new owner, purchased mine 10/20/12. (Yikes!)

I really enjoy my Kizashi compared to some of the other vehicles I’ve owned.

What my concern is parts availability and pricing for those parts for the near future?

(Q&A question #5 “We intend to continue to provide parts and service, as long as there is consumer demand, for a reasonable period of time beyond the warranty period. “ )

I plan on keeping mine for the next 5,6 years to come, I guess I’d like to hear something more assuring then “ for a reasonable period of time beyond the warranty period”

Again as far as parts and price????

george
KuroNekko

I've been reading a lot about this and here's some of the details that seem to be missed often:

Suzuki is leaving the United States, BUT NOT Canada or Mexico. As we all know from our Canadian members here, the Kizashi is sold in Canada. Parts trickling down south should not be that hard even way down the line assuming Suzuki stays in Canada.

Also, the Kizashi is a global car made in Japan. It's not like it was only made for the US in the US. This means that production will remain for other markets and therefore parts will continue to be produced. Kizashis will still be made and sold, just not to the US. I buy my parts online anyways so as long as its still being made, I am sure I can get my hands on it.

Lastly, it looks like Suzuki will continue to honor warranties. After all, they claim people with payment plans will see no difference from this bankruptcy/exodus. I don't think they can expect people to keep paying for their cars if they won't honor warranties or supply service and parts.
I also noticed that the majority of Suzuki dealers don't only sell Suzukis. This seems to be a good indicator that they can support the service of Suzukis while stay afloat selling other makes.

The news about Suzuki leaving the US truly saddens me, but I am not panicked or freaked out. I have been one to always care after my own car anyways doing nearly all maintenance myself. I also find myself going to the dealership (for things I can't do myself) and paying more than I should when independent shops could of done it for way less. The Kizashi is an amazing car, but it's really not some new invention. It's rather conventional and shouldn't require special tools or skills to work on it. The long term warranty is for the powertrain and that is what I am least worried about. Real Suzukis like the Kizashi aren't going to need major repairs within the warranty period.

I guess it boils down to two types of owners. Ones in for the long term like me or those who will give up their Suzukis now that the brand has left.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
tbogan

Kuro, would you mind posting links to the site(s) you use to order parts online? I haven't had much luck finding more than oil filters, wiper blades, lights and accessory type stuff. I'd love to find magnetic oil drain and differential plugs if they exist. Thanks!
KuroNekko

tbogan wrote:Kuro, would you mind posting links to the site(s) you use to order parts online? I haven't had much luck finding more than oil filters, wiper blades, lights and accessory type stuff. I'd love to find magnetic oil drain and differential plugs if they exist. Thanks!
Sure,

I bought my roof rack on ebay (a Suzuki parts dealer's ebay site), but my hood deflector and bike module was from these guys:
http://www.oemsuzukiparts.com/ They also sell parts other than accessories.

As for magnetic oil drain plugs and differential plugs, those are aftermarket type of parts. You can find things like that on ebay or by google searching for products like that. Many makers of such parts offer products for all kinds of cars. You can find posts on other car forums where owners discuss their experiences with these types of products. I used to own a Fumoto valve for draining oil which I found this way.

I also use Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com to buy parts (not yet for the Kizashi, but other cars in the past). They have a selection of both OEM and aftermarket makers of parts. I have used them several times over the years and find them to be great. I have bought brake pads, wheel bearings, horns, sensors, etc. from Rock Auto.

I prefer to buy spark plugs, oxygen sensors, and the sort from http://www.sparkplugs.com They have the best selection for prices similar to what you pay at an auto parts store. I have been their customer more than a few times.

Hope that helped.
tbogan

Thank Kuro, I've lurked around some other boards looking for info on aftermarket drains but anything anyone suggested led to a dead end. I'll definitely save your links for the future. Happy motoring!
aflippin1982

so what exactly does this mean for someone like me who bought by kizashi in 2010? i love my car and wouldnt sell it back even if they offered. but how am I going to have it serviced if the only dealership in a 150+ mile radius closes?
2010 Kizashi GTS AWD
KuroNekko

aflippin1982 wrote:so what exactly does this mean for someone like me who bought by kizashi in 2010? i love my car and wouldnt sell it back even if they offered. but how am I going to have it serviced if the only dealership in a 150+ mile radius closes?
Do mean for warranty claims or just normal servicing? I don't know why anyone would need to take their car to a dealership for regular maintenance and servicing unless the dealership was covering the cost. There is nothing really special about the Kizashi that would make a regular shop unfit to service the car. Not only that, most local mechanics are cheaper than a dealership.
Regular maintenance and servicing hardly requires specialized tools or parts that only a dealer would have.
Everything from oil changes to tune-ups can be taken care of by a trusted mechanic instead of a dealership. I do all that myself.
CacTaur

Great Info Guys! Kuro your a hero. when I heard of this I was starting to sweat but as y'all say this car is great. The only thing now is to get a project car since I can't expect anymore performance parts for this car ESP COILS!
aflippin1982

luckily my fiance is a mechanic so he does all my normal stuff. Ive has a wheel hub bearing replaced already under warranty so i get a little nervous. I bought the extended warranty on it because I thought it was a pretty good deal. Ive had cars in the past with massive issues so im a sucker for a warranty. but if something does need to be covered under warranty (im also having the volume issue), where else could i go if i dont have a dealership close?
2010 Kizashi GTS AWD
KIZFAN2

@aflippin1982 the volume issue is due to a faulty amp that will need to be replaced.

Hopefully the dealers can still support this in the states. I really hope the same thing doesn't happen here in Canada. I am also concerned about long road trips to the states with no support on that side of the border.
2011 Kizashi SX