Kizashi earns top rating on new IIHS crash test

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
KuroNekko

Further vindication that the Kizashi is the best midsize no one bought.
Meanwhile, the Camry and Prius V bombed the test.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/au ... autos_3854
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

Yes, that thick windscreen "A" pillar is there for a reason.

(But I've nearly been caught out a few times by it obscuring other vehicles that I'm supposed to give way to....)
David
chazyouwin

Thick A pillar on the Buick Regal, very similar shape, as well.

Anyway, I just think of this result as another reason why margins are too tight to make a go of it in the U.S. Suzuki has been using quality ingredients, engineering, and construction. This is not cheap, but the connotation of the brand name is cheap.

Which is why I think if Tata is looking for an entry level Jaguar, the Kizashi could be a very good start for the rebadge. With a $10,000 extra profit cushion, the Jag's entry level customers would get a great car with likely some extra stuffing.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
ipaqxman

So I'm not the only person who feels uncomfortable with the obscuring view by the a pillar? I no longer do tight turns anymore cuz i feel sometimes it can even block a pedastrian whos about to cross the street. At least compare to my impreza
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
chazyouwin

Yes - you can't use peripheral vision as easily around those pillars. Just takes an extra bit of care.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
toddrochester

I heard this on the radio this morning along with the "A car that will no longer be sold in the U.S". It is a shame. I am just glad I got to enjoy this car!
Firefly

Certainly blew Toyota out of the water. For what it's worth - maybe not much - Suzuki really ought to publicize this.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
Northernstar

It's def safer than a lot of cars but the A pillar is just too thick.
Whenever making left hand turns, a lot of times it blocks my view of curbs and pedestrians.
I often find myself leaning forward to have a better view of the left hand side of the vehicle
Ronzuki

The lower visibility issue is a small inconvenience, that I've adapted to, compared to the poor results of the Camary's offset crash results. The way people are constantly driving across the center lines around bends anymore, and seemingly everywhere in general, I'll take the better crash results any day.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I agree with Ronzuki. Yes, the A pillar is thick, but safety is far more important. I don't find the A pillar to be a problem unless I am in a slight curve and the oncoming vehicles are just in the angle of view in which the A pillar blocks them.

Either way, I would take a thick pillar with excellent cabin rigidity any day over the risk of crumpled cabin structures and injuries like possible compound fractures. When the car's frame holds up, looks like mine will more likely too.

Given that a few Kizashi's belonging to members here were in accidents around 40mph and still did well in cabin integrity and occupant safety, it is reassuring that this car is a safe car.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)