Recall Code VG - spiders blocking Evap canister vent

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
KuroNekko

Speed_Racer wrote: Call their customer relations number (1-800-934-0934) and get them to associate your contact info with your VIN. It's what I had to do to start getting notices. I bought mine pre-owned as well.
Thanks for the tip. I also bought a pre-owned and it wasn't from a Suzuki dealer so I'm certain I'm off the radar of Suzuki.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

Vent tube replaced. It's a tube that runs from under the car and up in to the driver's side wheel well and is snaked behind the shock and loops back around pointing down near the top of the shock. Picture an upside down J. So, don't drive your Kiz into any deep water. The new tube is identical to the one being replaced other than the molded in spider guard. It's not a filter as you might think. Simply ribs of plastic to prevent large things from getting inside. Once again, plenty of crud falling out from behind the wheel well liner. Interestingly enough, there were cob webs up at the very top of the wheel well towards the back of the car. Go figure. The tech looked inside the mating hole for the tube under the car with a fiber-optic viewer to check for any obstruction. None found, new tube installed, wheel well liner back in and wheel on. GTG.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
nytq

I don't know if this repair instruction has been posted, but by the looks of it, it is alot more involved than just replacing a vent line. I recall someone saying they had it done very quickly. Seeing that it actually involves removing the evap canister and inspecting it, and that is hidden above all kinds of components.
Attachments
RCRIT-14V464-3481P.pdf
(1009.61 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
murcod

:) Yes, with AWD models it's above the rear diff - so the diff has to be removed to replace it. Some poor person on Suzuki forums was complaining about having to do so a while back - I wonder now if it was spider related (as it's a strange part to have fail)?
David
KuroNekko

Oh man! This repair is way more involving than I ever imagined! Even without AWD, all kinds of stuff need to be removed.

Has anyone with the sway bar (or other mods) got it done yet? When I got my rear shocks replaced under warranty, I removed my RRM sway bar before taking it to the dealer. I don't want to bother this time but sometimes dealers refuse to work on modded (even very slightly) vehicles, especially when they (or the car company) incur the cost. I'm practically out of warranty now since my car is a 2011, but don't want any hang-ups.

I need to call my local dealer to see if they are even ready to work on this recall.
red rider

Kuro, had the vent line recall done recently, took about an hour, I also have the RRM sway bar, no problem it mounts just like the stock sway bar just 3mm thicker. Call the dealer make sure they have parts and go for it.
KuroNekko

red rider wrote:Kuro, had the vent line recall done recently, took about an hour, I also have the RRM sway bar, no problem it mounts just like the stock sway bar just 3mm thicker. Call the dealer make sure they have parts and go for it.
Thanks. I also have the RRM rear sway bar. Just wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't refusing service because of mods. Some are known to do that.
bootymac

I wonder if they'll even notice the sway bar? The RRM is pretty stealthy
murcod

I don't see how they could refuse to do the work - surely your consumer laws are better than that? The sway bar has nothing to do with the fuel evap system- it would be a different matter if the recall was sway bar related.
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:I don't see how they could refuse to do the work - surely your consumer laws are better than that? The sway bar has nothing to do with the fuel evap system- it would be a different matter if the recall was sway bar related.
I totally agree, however I've heard of stories where dealers refuse to touch anything modified. A lame excuse to get out of servicing a vehicle if you ask me.
I was careful about this issue when I got my rear shocks replaced so I removed the RRM bar and replaced it with the stock one just for the dealer visit.