CVT drain bolt crush washer?

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
kizzy1

I've purchased 6 quarts of fluid and am getting ready to change it out. I took the panel off to access the pan and see that it has a "flattish" drain bolt (appears to be a 19mm...odd size). I can't tell by looking but is there a crush washer (or regular washer) on the bolt? If there's a crush washer can it be reused? Does anyone know the number for the washer? I'd have to order the specified crush washer if it needs to be replaced or could possibly get one from a local auto parts store...they seem to have a decent selection in different sizes.

From what I've read in the service manual, the important thing when changing out the fluid via a drain-and-fill is to get the fluid up to operating temperature and then wait 30 minutes before draining. I'm assuming that is to assure that the fluid in the trans is approximately the same (room temp) as the fluid you're putting in. This would indicate that these transmissions are so sensitive to fluid levels that even the expansion of the fluid when heated could cause you to put in too much fluid due to the stuff going in being "unexpanded". I plan on measuring the fluid I drain out to make sure I replace exactly the same amount. If possible I'd like to do it twice over a week or so. I see it's also important to be sure that everything is clean when doing this procedure to avoid contamination of the fluid.

Has anyone else serviced their own CVT trans by doing a drain-and-fill like this?...appreciate any input...thanks in advance.
nytq

Part number is 2482454LS0. It should take exactly 4 quarts. I don't know if it is a crush washer.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
SamirD

I have to do this as well. I love the level of detail you're going into with the fluid change. 8-)

From what you're describing, the fluid getting up to operating temp before the drain sounds similar to how manufacturers recommend the same for an engine oil change. This is usually to get any particles that otherwise solidify when cool to become liquid and drain with the fluid. I don't think there is much more to that because if temperature was that much of an issue, the transmission could be quickly damaged by any sudden temperature change like going from a warm garage to the frozen outside.

Does the service manual refer to a crush washer? If it doesn't, I'd assume that the washer (if present) would be fine to reuse and is part of the drain bolt itself.

I'd love to see pictures of your process!
kizzy1

I went ahead and changed out the fluid. As someone said on this site, it took exactly 4 quarts (I measured what came out and filling another container with the same amount took 4 quarts). I was careful to make sure everything was clean (wiped off the area around the drain bolt and fill tube, used a clean funnel, etc.) and put in 4 quarts of Redline Nonslip CVT fluid. I've only driven the car a few miles to test it out and I have to say I seem to notice that it does seem a little smoother than before...less vibration at low speeds particularly. I haven't put the shield back on because I intend to do a second drain and fill before putting it back (have 4 more quarts of Redline waiting). I don't think I'll bother to measure it this time...just gonna throw in the 4 quarts after draining it. I may be throwing caution to the wind by doing this but I'm not afraid of hurting anything...the fluid that came out was pretty dark (looks black in the bottle...looked lighter when it was draining). The Redline seems to be a yellowish color...pretty much the same as the stuff that was in there.

I've used Redline fluids for years and swear by them (got their D4 trans fluid in the transmission and power steering of the 'ol minivan) and I've NEVER had a transmission issue or failure (also I tend to drive my vehicles "conservatively"...warm them up and drive them easy...). Amsoil is probably another good choice...they make a synthetic CVT fluid too. I've yet to hear of anyone having a trans failure due to using a good and APPROPRIATE synthetic fluid replacement (problems arise when using fluids not designed for the application). This stuff is probably superior to the "dedicated" fluids that Suzuki/Nissan/Mitsubishi, etc. use in these Jatco CVT's.

We just got a foot of snow here (!) from that storm front that passed through. I'm going to wait until things get cleared out and will probably do the second drain this weekend (will have to do it on a tarp in the garage...too bloody cold to do it outside).
SamirD

Great update. I too love Redline and Amsoil fluids. :mrgreen:

How many miles did you have on your old fluid? I'm curious how bad ours might be at 38k now.
kizzy1

I have over 63,000 miles on the car. For those that believe it's best to simply leave the factory fluid in there, I have a gallon of black stuff that was in the CVT before I drained it (still haven't done the second drain...been so cold here). Today we're expecting a high of 28 (frigging heat wave) so I'll probably prep the garage and get it done. Without an analysis it's impossible to say if the original CVT fluid was worn out or compromised but it sure does look nasty in that jug.

I would have changed it out before but have been scared off by the hyper-sensitivity warnings regarding the transmission in these cars. At this point I'd be surprised if my "tampering" resulted in a problem...on the contrary I believe it is beneficial and may help prolong the transmission.

Suzuki should have bought a good Aisin 6 speed automatic for these cars but we're stuck with this CVT (which I don't mind but I AM concerned about the long-term reliability). I don't abuse the car so hopefully that will help in the long run (although they should be able to take some abuse by design).

I'm going to be the guinea pig here...will let y'all know if anything blows up or falls off in the coming months.
Ronzuki

Please do. My inner preventative maintenance self says I should change the fluid around the 60k mark as you have done. But the entire unknown of these damn things scares me to do it. It will be interesting to hear how things are with your trans once warmer summer temperatures return.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

I checked all our fluids today while changing to the winter set of tires (that time already? 2in of snow says yes), and it was still the yellow color you described that new fluid had. I'm taking this as a good sign. 8-)