Kizashi Recall (Shifting out of Park issue for Automatics)

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
KuroNekko

I just came across this on Autoblog.
The Kizashi is being recalled due to an issue with the automatic transmission being shifted out of Park. Obviously, manual transmission models are exempted from this recall.
This issue also affects the SX4 for those of you who also own an auto SX4.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/02/suzu ... ecall-61k/

RECALL Subject : Shift Selector Moved From Park
Report Receipt Date: DEC 22, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V811000
Component(s): POWER TRAIN
Potential Number of Units Affected: 60,823
Manufacturer: Suzuki Motor of America, Inc.

SUMMARY:
Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. (Suzuki) is recalling certain model year 2010-2013 SX4 vehicles manufactured July 16, 2009, to November 1, 2012, and 2010-2013 Kizashi vehicles manufactured October 13, 2009, to October 31, 2012. The shift selector can be moved out of the "Park" position without depressing the brake pedal.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the shift selector is moved out of the "Park" position while the brake pedal is not depressed, the vehicle may unexpectedly roll, increasing the risk of a vehicle crash.

REMEDY:
Suzuki will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift selector assembly, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 19, 2015. Owners may contact Suzuki customer service at 1-714-996-7040. Suzuki's number for this recall is VL.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Moto
Site Admin

Ha... That would probably not bother me as an issues, but if you ever plan to sell the car I suppose it should be fixed.

60,823 Units... That's a very sad number given that it covers both the kizashi and SX4
bootymac

Thanks for the heads up. Added to the FAQ
Woodie

A recall for something that every car made would do up until thirty years ago. This is Ed Bradley's fault. Won't be long before there are recalls because your reverse camera doesn't deliver 4K resolution.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
BxKizashiS

Oh wow. Thanks for the post. Didn't gotta get that checked out to see if mine is bad
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
Engineer60

There was a time when all auto's would do this as standard it was only stupid drivers who didn't think/know that shifting to R after coming out of P would enable the car to move without holding the foot brake on, I believe it was the USA that first requested this feature be fitted on all auto's :D
“If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”
bootymac

Woodie wrote:A recall for something that every car made would do up until thirty years ago. This is Ed Bradley's fault. Won't be long before there are recalls because your reverse camera doesn't deliver 4K resolution.
:lol:
11zukizashi

sounds silly but i guess someone could get in and drive your car away if you had it remote started
Moto
Site Admin

Engineer60 wrote:There was a time when all auto's would do this as standard it was only stupid drivers who didn't think/know that shifting to R after coming out of P would enable the car to move without holding the foot brake on, I believe it was the USA that first requested this feature be fitted on all auto's :D
I think the US is probably responsible for more recalls of this nature. People in this country are not very good at taking responsibility of their own actions, and we have far too many layers in this country.
SamirD

Sad how we need so many nannys. :(

I've actually had this part (the shift lock switch) fail on my Altimas, and then you can't shift out of park. I'd rather have the opposite problem and be more careful--no recall for me.