Kizashi Recall (Shifting out of Park issue for Automatics)

Information regarding future changes to the Kizashi. Press releases regarding the car and motorsports related topics go here.
Ronzuki

11zukizashi wrote:sounds silly but i guess someone could get in and drive your car away if you had it remote started
Doesn't sound like that's the problem, nor will the fix likely address that issue.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Ronzuki wrote:
11zukizashi wrote:sounds silly but i guess someone could get in and drive your car away if you had it remote started
Doesn't sound like that's the problem, nor will the fix likely address that issue.
I think 11zukizashi may be right as it may be the park shift lock control that would keep the car from being able to be shifted without the key. If the car was running, someone could just pop it in gear and take off. Although I'd never keep my car running and unattended without locking it manually first.
Sluggo

My Kizashi will not move out of park unless the brake pressed. I really don't want any techs messing around to do the recall. Any work done is a chance for damage whether it is recalled related or not. I got scratch on my rear bumper from an oil change!

Sluggo wrote:My Kizashi will not move out of park unless the brake pressed. I really don't want any techs messing around to do the recall. Any work done is a chance for damage whether it is recalled related or not. I got scratch on my rear bumper from an oil change!
Ditto. I don't have any problems, and even if I do, I can manage it. 8-)

It's ridiculous that we end up paying for people to mess up our cars or do things with them that we don't want. Hence why I don't let anyone mess with my cars but me anymore.
smsmart

I just got the recall notice in the mail yesterday. Recall code VL.
nytq

Yeah, I'm not bothering with this one either. Shocks still operating normally at 85K miles. I put a nice filter made out of screen material over the vapor outlet, so that recall no longer needed, and no one drives my car but me so If I want to try and get it out of park with out the break, that is my business. I've had way to many bad dealership work experiences through out my lifetime including some on the Kizi for the paint issue very early on. Unless the recall says DO NOT START YOUR CAR OR IT WILL EXPLODE, i'm not bothering with dealer recalls that are really unnecessary.
2011 SE AWD PLATINUM SILVER W/RRM INTAKE AND CUSTOM CAT BACK
Ronzuki

Got the VL recalls yesterday for both cars and re-read it again. It sounds as though the lock mechanism can become damaged by force (presumably by attempting to shift out of park w/o brake pedal applied, thus damaging it). THEN, it'll shift out of park w/o brake pedal applied. Since my wife and I are not gorillas, and abusive to the cars, we're taking a pass on these for the same reasons as above. Besides, the cars we learned to drive on had no gov. mandated idiot devices back then. Common sense would dictate if you shifted out of Park, by default, the damn car was going to move.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Juan

I just got my noticed too, I'm passing on this one as I don't want anyone taking my car apart if not absolutely necessary. I have no plans to force the shifter out of gear....
LPSISRL

Same here. I'll pass on this one. I don't need a scratched or cracked center console when they mess with the shifter. I always use the brake anyway.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
delusional29

I'm going for it. I use my manual shift often and it needs to be lubed anyway since it's a bit stiff. I can have the dealer lube it up while they are in there. Perfect timing for me, :-)