How to change Oil

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
SamirD

This is why I'm sticking with Suzuki filters. Just not worth the risk.
Woodie

murcod wrote:It's still possible. How are they "cutting" them open?
They've been cutting them open for years. Suddenly, one brand has this problem.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
murcod

Woodie wrote:
The question was how are they cutting them open, not how long have people been doing it !?

Power tools would obviously not be a wise choice.
David
murcod

Youtube to the rescue:

Dodgy backyard job with aviation snips:

Look! I've got a metal lathe:

Hacksaw (edited to make it look easy):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... er=1053150
David
bootymac

murcod wrote:
Woodie wrote:
The question was how are they cutting them open, not how long have people been doing it !?

Power tools would obviously not be a wise choice.
Woodie's point is valid. If the cutting procedure caused the tear then the issue wouldn't be specific to the Purolator filters and their equivalents manufactured by Champion Labs.

This picture shows where filters are commonly opened. The cut isn't close to the filter media:

If you see the rips on the Purolator filters, you'd see how it's unlikely that they were torn during opening. They're all ripping in the same spot where the pleats next to the spine are not reinforced and they're widely spaced apart. The filter media itself is thin and weak compared to other filters.

This brand new Purolator was hacked apart with pliers. No rips as it hasn't been used but it shows the design flaw of the pleats by the spine:

Here are some pictures of torn Classic and PureOne filters:

bootymac

I finally did the oil change today. It was very straightforward and there was less spillage than I expected. I managed to remove the OEM filter by hand (filter cap wouldn't fit, read below) and I drained exactly 4.5L of oil. I used Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter.

Something I noted was that the Mobil 1 filter is smaller than the OEM filter. The Mobil 1 is 65.5mm in diameter and 75mm tall, while the OEM filter is 68mm and 85.3mm. The difference in diameter meant I couldn't use my filter cap on the OEM filter.

I also dissected the OEM filter afterwards: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... 152#p29152
Attachments
IMG_20140603_202335.jpg
IMG_20140603_202335.jpg (255.94 KiB) Viewed 13009 times
Last edited by bootymac on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:I finally did the oil change today. It was very straightforward and there was less spillage than I expected. I managed to remove the OEM filter by hand (filter cap wouldn't fit, read below) and I drained exactly 4.5L of oil. I used Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter.

Something I noted was that the Mobil 1 filter is smaller than the OEM filter. The Mobil 1 is 65.5mm in diameter and 75mm tall, while the OEM filter is 68mm and 85.3mm. The difference in diameter meant I couldn't use my filter cap on the OEM filter.

I also dissected the OEM filter afterwards: http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... 152#p29152

I am very surprised that you could remove it by hand. It makes me think that it was rather loosely installed. Generally, oil filters can be applied by hand, but usually can't be removed by hand. That's been my experience.

The Mobil 1 filter is definitely smaller, but I thought only in height. I wasn't aware that it was a different diameter though all my cap wrenches are fluted so they fit a range of 65mm to 68mm. Sounds like yours was not.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

KuroNekko wrote:I am very surprised that you could remove it by hand. It makes me think that it was rather loosely installed. Generally, oil filters can be applied by hand, but usually can't be removed by hand. That's been my experience.
Agreed. I usually have to bust out channel locks to remove filters that I tighten by hand. The OEM filter was torqued "enough" as it still took a bit of effort to remove, but the replacement filter is much tighter. I'm not too concerned about over-torquing as I'll have the cap tool to remove it.
bootymac

So I did some research into the Mobil 1 M1-103 filter and found that it is shorter than most of the OEM filters it replaces. I'm sure it's fine but ideally I'd prefer a filter that is either the same size or larger than the OEM filter, especially if they cost the same. Some people are using larger filters that have the same 3/4"-16 thread pitch and similar gasket diameters.

If the gasket seals against the block, then there shouldn't be any issues running larger filters. Just ensure that the filter has an anti-drainback and bypass valve and that it actually fits.

Here is a list of filter dimensions and some possible oversized alternatives.

Model: base diameter x height (in mm)
OEM:
16510-61A31: 72 x 85

Aftermarket alternatives:
M1-103: 68 x 74
PL14477: 68 x 89

Oversized alternatives:
M1-102: 76 x 86
M1-209: 76 x 121
PL20195: 76 x 120

Here is a very useful site for cross referencing filters and other information: http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php

Something interesting: Mobil recommends the M1-103 which is 68x74. This filter is the same size as the Purolator 14476; however, Purolator recommends 14477 instead, which is 68x89 and closer to the OEM filter size.
twoqttsdad

Another 5,000 miles and time for another oil change. Using Mobil1 5w-30 and a Bosch filter.
This time I have ramps! So much easier than jacking the car up.
Trying to figure if I can stretch the oil change interval to 10,0000 now since switching to synthetic.
2012 SLS
Azure Grey
FWD CVT