How to change Oil

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
murcod

Yes, it's too easy to damage the sill jacking points when using them with stands.

PS: I've seen some "folded flat" on a vehicle that had only ever been serviced at the dealer. The owner wasn't impressed (he couldn't use the jack on that corner) and the dealer denied everything.
David
SamirD

murcod wrote:Yes, it's too easy to damage the sill jacking points when using them with stands.

PS: I've seen some "folded flat" on a vehicle that had only ever been serviced at the dealer. The owner wasn't impressed (he couldn't use the jack on that corner) and the dealer denied everything.
It is if not done carefully.

A dealer breaking things and then denying it? :roll: Where on earth does this happen? :lol: :evil:

I actually overheard two associates in Kohls talking about this very exact thing yesterday. She went in to get her cig lighter working so she could charge her phone, and the car came back with a cd player and radio that didn't work anymore. Of course, the service entity doing the work denied any relation between the two even though people like us know they messed something up while they were in there. :roll: Reason number one why my cars never get worked on by anyone but me.
KuroNekko

SamirD wrote:
murcod wrote:Yes, it's too easy to damage the sill jacking points when using them with stands.

A dealer breaking things and then denying it? :roll: Where on earth does this happen? :lol: :evil:

I actually overheard two associates in Kohls talking about this very exact thing yesterday. She went in to get her cig lighter working so she could charge her phone, and the car came back with a cd player and radio that didn't work anymore. Of course, the service entity doing the work denied any relation between the two even though people like us know they messed something up while they were in there. :roll: Reason number one why my cars never get worked on by anyone but me.
Almost sounds like these fools just switched the fuse.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:
SamirD wrote:

Almost sounds like these fools just switched the fuse.
I could see them doing this depending on where their ethics lie.

A LOT of dealerships are recommending services that are not required now to make up for the lack of revenue from the slowdown in business. So someone coming in for something simple ends up with a $1000 bill. My dad was getting taken for a ride by the local Mercedes dealership in HSV, but it seems anyone servicing these cars (even independently) seem to do quite a bit of gouging.

It's really a shame that people can't work honestly and get paid honestly. You have to make so much more money to make up for bad business ethics if you let them just do the services they want vs what's needed.
KuroNekko

I came across this list when searching the part number for the Suzuki OEM filter. This list could be useful.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com ... 6510-61A31
bootymac

For those who have changed their own oil: how much spillage during filter removal should I expect? My Corolla from way back when had the same filter location and it never spilled, so I'm hoping the Kizashi is the same.

My dealer's "free oil changes" are for conventional oil only and I had to pay for synthetic last time. I'm going to start changing it myself with synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filters.
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:For those who have changed their own oil: how much spillage during filter removal should I expect? My Corolla from way back when had the same filter location and it never spilled, so I'm hoping the Kizashi is the same.

My dealer's "free oil changes" are for conventional oil only and I had to pay for synthetic last time. I'm going to start changing it myself with synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filters.
Not too much. I usually place a rag under the oil filter to catch some of it until I can better control the flow into the used oil collector pan. My technique is to break the seal, turn the filter very slowly, and have it dribble out at first. This way, it's easy to control. After it slows, I turn it more. I try to keep most of the oil in the filter as I remove it from the engine.

I'll be changing the oil this weekend on my Kizashi so I will keep a better note about it. I'll be using Mobil 1 oil with a Mobil 1 filter.
honsonwong

bootymac wrote:My dealer's "free oil changes" are for conventional oil only and I had to pay for synthetic last time. I'm going to start changing it myself with synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filters.
Me too, they supply conventional oil only. From last time, I have changed the oil by myself with Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filter. I don't know is it connected, but after using the synthetic oil about 2,000Kms, in this 2,000 kms, the gas mileage is obviously improved from about 12L/100kms to below 11L/100kms.
KuroNekko

honsonwong wrote: I don't know is it connected, but after using the synthetic oil about 2,000Kms, in this 2,000 kms, the gas mileage is obviously improved from about 12L/100kms to below 11L/100kms.
It's usually not this noticeable but synthetic motor oils contribute to better fuel efficiency by reducing friction in the engine therefore improving over all efficiency. However, it's not usually such a remarkable difference. Your estimates are calculated to a 1.78 increase in MPG for us Americans. That's rather a big increase in fuel efficiency for just motor oil.
Regardless, more the reason to use synthetics.
honsonwong

KuroNekko wrote:It's usually not this noticeable but synthetic motor oils contribute to better fuel efficiency by reducing friction in the engine therefore improving over all efficiency. However, it's not usually such a remarkable difference. Your estimates are calculated to a 1.78 increase in MPG for us Americans. That's rather a big increase in fuel efficiency for just motor oil.
Regardless, more the reason to use synthetics.
I think you are right KuroNekko, since beside the synthetic oil, I also do the following:
1. inflate 2 more lbs into the tires (from 38lbs to 40lbs)
2. I turned off the "Auto" of the A/C.