How to change Oil

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
vapor2

Thanks for posting
ipaqxman

I plan to change to synthetic on my 4K car. Would that be a problem at uch early milleage? The car was bought 10 months ago though. Going to get the mobil 1 5w30 from walmart
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
Moto
Site Admin

Most people wait until the car is fully broke in, but from what I have read recently it should be OK to switch to full synthetic.

I would personally wait one or two more oil changes, but that is just me.
~tc~

I would do this change with blend and then the next one with full synthetic.

What oil change interval are you using? Book says 7500 miles
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
ipaqxman

I already changed it to full syn without going thru blend. Hopefully its ok? This is the 2nd oil change at 4k 10 months, with mobil 1 extendedd performance (couldnt find the normal mobil 1 with 5w30 at walmart on that day) but i plan to change it again in no more than another 5k, which is probably a year for me though... So maybe 6 months whatever comes first. First change done at 1k 1 month. I also bought mobil 1 filter but at dealer decided to use genuine suzuki filter instead.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
ipaqxman

I meant first change at 1k 3 months
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
~tc~

I agree with the 500-1000 mile initial oil change.

The rumor is that if you go to synthetic too soon, the engine won't break in properly. I have a hard time seeing how less wear is a bad thing.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
Northernstar

like ~tc~ said, going full synth will do no harm if no good
Firefly

Just did it today - thanks for the writeup.

When I removed the plastic cover underneath, I discovered a filter wrench attachment sitting in it that was left by the mechanic who did the previous filter change!

I did not lower the car while draining, It seems the pan angles down toward the back, so I judged that having the front a bit high wouldn't hurt.

Before the next change I need to get a decent hydraulic or floor jack. I used the factory jack in the trunk, which is an adventure in masochism.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
jono6406

One thing they forgot to mention is to fill the new filter about half way up with the new oil before screwing it back on.