Kizashi Club

Your Kizashi Owners Club and Forum 

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
 #31670  by bootymac
 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 pm
twoqttsdad wrote:Another 5,000 miles and time for another oil change. Using Mobil1 5w-30 and a Bosch filter.
This time I have ramps! So much easier than jacking the car up.
Trying to figure if I can stretch the oil change interval to 10,0000 now since switching to synthetic.

Which Bosch filters? The Premium filters are the same as Purolator PureOnes and have the same issue with the filter media tearing. I wouldn't use those for extended OCIs
 #31672  by KuroNekko
 Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:36 am
bootymac wrote:
twoqttsdad wrote:Another 5,000 miles and time for another oil change. Using Mobil1 5w-30 and a Bosch filter.
This time I have ramps! So much easier than jacking the car up.
Trying to figure if I can stretch the oil change interval to 10,0000 now since switching to synthetic.

Which Bosch filters? The Premium filters are the same as Purolator PureOnes and have the same issue with the filter media tearing. I wouldn't use those for extended OCIs


Bosch offers the Distance Plus oil filters that are intended for extended OCIs. I coincidentally bought one yesterday since I also got my motor oil. Walmart only carried FRAM or Bosch oil filters so I went with the Bosch Distance Plus. I too have read that Bosch Premiums are essentially the same filter as Purolator PureOnes which have been observed with some compromised filter media. The Distance Plus filters are supposedly different.

I also noted that this Walmart did not carry Pennzoil Ultra nor German Castrol. However, they had Royal Purple going for about $37 for a 5 quart jug. I decided on Pennzoil Platinum as it's among my favorites and was less than $23 for 5 quarts. It also came with a $10 mail-in rebate coupon.

I think Mobil 1 is okay for a 10K mile OCI, but I'd personally want to use Mobil 1 Extended Performance for 10K and beyond. From what I've read, the Extended Performance is essentially what Mobil 1 used to be; a true Group IV synthetic. However, since their rivals are getting away with calling the lower grade Group III stock motor oils as "Full Synthetic" in the United States, Mobil 1 essentially did the same to save on manufacturing costs. While in the US, this is all okay and these motor oils are labeled "synthetic", the current Mobil 1 and many others would not be considered synthetics in Germany. Thus, Mobil 1 Extended Performance is what's being used by brands like Mercedes-Benz as factory fill and is the recommended motor oil for 1 year/15K OCIs.
 #31680  by twoqttsdad
 Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:31 am
Darn it! :cry: I put in what I think is a plain Bosch filter. Next oil change will put in Penzoil Platinum and a Wix filter in both my cars. Just contemplating the oil change interval.
I know how we all strive for the best for our cars, but it makes me wonder how I'm able to get 250,000 miles out of my delivery trucks at work (Tacomas) with conventional oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. Engines run fine, don't smoke, and idle smooth before I sell or junk them. The trucks look run down and don't have a/c so our company chooses to get new trucks after about 10 years. Not because the motors are shot.
 #31695  by bootymac
 Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 pm
Because Toyota!

10k on conventional is doable but that's pushing it IMO. Doable != ideal
 #31735  by redmed
 Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:10 pm
twoqttsdad wrote:Darn it! :cry: I put in what I think is a plain Bosch filter. Next oil change will put in Penzoil Platinum and a Wix filter in both my cars. Just contemplating the oil change interval.
I know how we all strive for the best for our cars, but it makes me wonder how I'm able to get 250,000 miles out of my delivery trucks at work (Tacomas) with conventional oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals. Engines run fine, don't smoke, and idle smooth before I sell or junk them. The trucks look run down and don't have a/c so our company chooses to get new trucks after about 10 years. Not because the motors are shot.

I have been changing my synthetic oil at 7500 miles and have thought of stretching it out to 9k. I think I will. Besides one is a Toyota and the other is a Japanese built Suzuki. Why should I worry?
 #31737  by KuroNekko
 Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:44 pm
Tacos are great trucks and are reputable for their reliability and longevity. While I'm sure they could and did run fine on conventional oil with 10K OCIs, I'd not want to push that in my own car. While modern engines are better with tighter tolerances, I think 10K on conventional would still be susceptible to sludge issues. I'm sure these trucks would have run better if they were on synthetic oil, but given they are company trucks, sounds like they would get replaced regardless of engine condition.
 #32033  by twoqttsdad
 Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:58 am
I never believed a car would see an increase in mpg by switching from conventional to synthetic oil. I'm seeing an increase of about 1.5 mpg since my last oil change.
 #32039  by Ronzuki
 Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:04 pm
KuroNekko wrote: From what I've read, the Extended Performance is essentially what Mobil 1 used to be; a true Group IV synthetic. However, since their rivals are getting away with calling the lower grade Group III stock motor oils as "Full Synthetic" in the United States, Mobil 1 essentially did the same to save on manufacturing costs. While in the US, this is all okay and these motor oils are labeled "synthetic", the current Mobil 1 and many others would not be considered synthetics in Germany. Thus, Mobil 1 Extended Performance is what's being used by brands like Mercedes-Benz as factory fill and is the recommended motor oil for 1 year/15K OCIs.


That explains why the huge price drop since inception...as always it's what they don't tell you about something. I've used M1EP the last couple changes and have gone the full 7500 miles on it.
 #32805  by redmed
 Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:54 am
Just opened up two Purolator Classic oil filters that I bought on 4/2011. No tear in the filters. Good, I had bought a bunch for my stash. Looks like I don't have to throw them away.
Does anyone know what date range torn filters where produced?
  • 1
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15