How to Change: Spark Plugs

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
murcod

Gone are the days when ignition system upgrades reaped worthwhile rewards. It's not like the Kizashi runs a mechanical weight/ vacuum advance system, ignition points, distributor cap with rotor and an oil filled coil with ballast resistor.

Those were the days!
David
Triggerhappy

I recently changed my plugs for my 60k mile service thanks to your write up. I had a problem with the spark plug socket coming loose when removing after tightening. To fix that, wrap some electrical tape around where the socket and the extension connect.

Did you noticed you switched the ft-lb and N-m? I'm glad I read the torque specs in the manual. It should be 18 ft-lbs or 25 N-m.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
bootymac

Triggerhappy wrote:I recently changed my plugs for my 60k mile service thanks to your write up. I had a problem with the spark plug socket coming loose when removing after tightening. To fix that, wrap some electrical tape around where the socket and the extension connect.

Did you noticed you switched the ft-lb and N-m? I'm glad I read the torque specs in the manual. It should be 18 ft-lbs or 25 N-m.
Thanks, I've corrected the original post
BxKizashiS

great write up, i just did mine like 2 weeks ago with the same ngk laser plugs
2012 Suzuki Kizashi S AWD
H&R Springs, RRM Intake, Magnaflow Custom Exhaust, NRG Bucket Seats, Takata Drift II Harness, Cypher Auto Harness Bar, 25 shot NOS(for now)
Facebook.com/jpreludesi
IG: N2OKizashi
Triggerhappy

Just changed my spark plugs again at 120,000 miles.
152k miles - niece drives it now
2017 Prius Prime - about 65 mpg factoring in electricity cost
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - wife's
KuroNekko

I'll be changing my plugs very soon. I'll be replacing the factory originals with NGK Iridium IX spark plugs. They don't have the lifespan of the OE Laser Iridiums but that's okay as I like to change them sooner anyway to maintain optimal spark.

This write-up is good, but should be updated regarding anti-seize. I too used to use it on spark plug threads, but it's actually no longer a necessity on many modern spark plugs due to their factory thread coating. Applying anti-seize is a process from the past that many think is still necessary on all plugs when it no longer is. Also, much like gapping Iridium spark plugs, using anti-seize increases the risk of causing damage by altering the torque actually applied. NGK uses a coating on all their spark plugs now which no longer necessitates anti-seize compounds to be applied on the threads.
Here is documentation about this directly from NGK:
https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk ... park-plugs
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/AutoRep ... isieze.pdf
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

What's the recommended service interval on plug replacement ?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:What's the recommended service interval on plug replacement ?
US owner's manual states every 60,000 miles. This is both for normal and severe driving conditions.
Basi

Hi guys I'm living in Australia and I want to change my cars spark plugs so I was looking on eBay then i saw a spark plugs seller with a cheap price same brand and same part number for kizashi but the price is half of normal price from other shop like auto super cheap and others do you guys had any experience shopping parts from eBay or do you thing is it ok to buy from them with confidences ? Let me know if u know any place to buy cheap spark plugs but same brand ngk for kizashi and if u have any experience buying from eBay thank u so much
KuroNekko

Basi wrote:Hi guys I'm living in Australia and I want to change my cars spark plugs so I was looking on eBay then i saw a spark plugs seller with a cheap price same brand and same part number for kizashi but the price is half of normal price from other shop like auto super cheap and others do you guys had any experience shopping parts from eBay or do you thing is it ok to buy from them with confidences ? Let me know if u know any place to buy cheap spark plugs but same brand ngk for kizashi and if u have any experience buying from eBay thank u so much
You have to be careful with some ebay sellers. Sure, most are legit but as the old saying goes, "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."
I also want to question why you are so eager on getting cheap spark plugs. They are already rather affordable components. Not sure about Australian prices, but NGK Iridium spark plugs cost about 7 to 10 dollars each in the United States. Multiply that by 4 and that's $40 on the higher end. That's really nothing when it comes to prices of other parts or even operating costs. My argument is this: the savings is probably not worth the risk for such cheap components. Go with trusted vendors.

I personally just put in NGK Iridium IX spark plugs. They are cheaper than the original equipment Laser Iridiums. It's because they don't have all the features that extends the life of the Laser Iridiums such as platinum on the ground electrode. However, this just means you need to change out the IX's sooner than the Lasers. The difference among spark plugs isn't performance or efficiency but more longevity. If you are keen on saving money for this change, maybe go for the IX instead of the Laser Iridiums.
The part number for the NGK Iridium IX that fits the Kizashi is LFR6AIX-11. Stock No. 6619. Just put these in yesterday in my own Kizashi and it's running great.