Fixing USB port that has fallen under console

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
KuroNekko

I recently had the misfortune of having my USB connector fall out from the mount. It fell into the area under the center console storage box. It appears that if you put too much pressure on the USB port (which is not much), it can fall out backwards.
I know this has happened to a few other people so I took photos for a write-up.
I consulted the Service Manual in which panels I would have to remove to get to it, but decided that it was not helpful so I went about it in another way.
Instead of trying to remove the center console storage box, I merely wanted to have access under it to reach and push the USB connector back through the hole.
I did it via the shifter. Here is how:

Note: This write-up is for a manual transmission, but the process may be similar to automatics depending on how the shifter can be removed.

1) Unscrew the shift knob. It comes off with strong twists counterclockwise.

2) Once the knob is off, locate the retaining clip. Remove it carefully with a flat head screw driver.

3) Carefully remove the spring retainer and the spring.

4) With gentle and even pressure, pull the shifter boot from the bottom. The boot and the surrounding base are clipped in. It should come off without too much pulling.

5) Pull off the plastic trim around the shifter area. I pulled from the bottom first and it came off with no damage.

6) You now have the access you need to reach the USB connector and cable. Reach in there and push the USB connector via the hole. Push down on the clip on the right side to make sure the connector housing goes through the hole. Gently push the USB's circuit board in so it is seated properly in the connector (photos show it protruding).

7) Place the USB connector housing (part with the USB logo on it) onto the connector. Once they are clipped together, seat the housing properly. Make sure everything is clipped correctly by gently pushing and tugging on and around the USB connector.
Note: If the housing was damaged, fix or replace it. My housing's clip was slightly damaged from when the USB connector slipped out so I fixed/reinforced the clip with super glue.

8) Test the USB connector. Hook up your USB thumb drive or USB-connected MP3 player and test the stereo. Once you verified that it plays, re-install in reverse order.
Attachments
Ugh. So annoying.
Ugh. So annoying.
003.JPG (253.29 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
With shift knob off, carefully remove the retaining clip with a screwdriver.
With shift knob off, carefully remove the retaining clip with a screwdriver.
011.JPG (188.12 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Remove the spring and spring retainer.
Remove the spring and spring retainer.
010.JPG (191.33 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Ready to pull out boot.
Ready to pull out boot.
009.JPG (260.89 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Shifter boot removed.
Shifter boot removed.
008.JPG (219.83 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Shifter trim removed. Now you can access fallen USB connector.
Shifter trim removed. Now you can access fallen USB connector.
001.JPG (243.89 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Locate the fallen USB connector.
Locate the fallen USB connector.
002.JPG (157.86 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Push the USB connector through the hole.
Push the USB connector through the hole.
004.JPG (287.88 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
USB connector housing reattached.
USB connector housing reattached.
005.JPG (254.01 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Cable in the console area.
Cable in the console area.
006.JPG (151.57 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
Test the USB-connected audio.
Test the USB-connected audio.
007.JPG (256.2 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
All fixed.
All fixed.
012.JPG (285.13 KiB) Viewed 35760 times
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

It is a stupid design and way too easy to dislodge.

PS: You can just pull up the gearstick gaiter boot from the console and turn it inside out on top of the gear knob- no need to remove the knob etc. I pity anyone with the CVT who has this happen!
David
honsonwong

Good job, thanks for sharing.
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:It is a stupid design and way too easy to dislodge.

PS: You can just pull up the gearstick gaiter boot from the console and turn it inside out on top of the gear knob- no need to remove the knob etc. I pity anyone with the CVT who has this happen!
Yeah, true, but I had yet to disassemble my shifter so I wanted to.
I agree that the USB port was not well designed. It can unintentionally be pushed out easily and the plastics clips that keep it in aren't the strongest things.
I just have to be more careful with it and if it keeps happening, I may super glue some parts as I use the USB audio the most. Despite Bluetooth audio being more convenient, there is no comparison in audio quality. The USB is much better, especially in bass.
murcod

When the USB port pops through it's really one of those moments.... a real case of WTF do I have to disassemble to fix that! A small dab of superglue should be enough to hold it -but still enable removal if ever required.

Yes, bluetooth audio quality is shocking. (I thought it must just have been me and my phone!)
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote: Yes, bluetooth audio quality is shocking. (I thought it must just have been me and my phone!)
Oh, mine is still very good, but it's not as powerful as the USB. The USB audio is where you get the most out of the RF system. The bass is where I notice the most difference.
murcod

Just stick with CD's for best quality.
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:Just stick with CD's for best quality.
True, CDs will have the best quality, but lowest convenience.
Audio quality and convenience have an inverse relationship regarding car audio systems.
Bluetooth audio has the highest convenience, but lowest quality.
CDs have the highest quality, but lowest convenience.
USB audio is in between both and that's why I like it best.
avluis

Hey BlackCat, another great write up with pics.
Off topic: How big (storage wise) can I get that iPod. I have an iPhone 5 off plan that I would love to get rid of.
2011 Kizashi Sport GTS MT
I do all my installs. <-- Service Manual.
Pulley, Springs, Shift Knob, Sway Bar, Brake Lines, Piggyback, LED lamps, Remote Start, Heated Seats, Heated Mirrors & Turn Signals.
KuroNekko

avluis wrote:Hey BlackCat, another great write up with pics.
Off topic: How big (storage wise) can I get that iPod. I have an iPhone 5 off plan that I would love to get rid of.
Mine is a 6th generation iPod Nano. Its capacity is 8 GB. Some were available with 16 GB. These were discontinued when the 7th generation Nano came out.
Why not use the iPhone as a player since you already have it?
An iPhone is pretty much an iPod Touch when it does not have cell service.