Bumper Removal, Headlight Removal, and HID Kit Installation

Where DIYs with photos live. Please start new topics in DIY section. Completed DIYs are moved here for clutter control and quicker reference.
ipaqxman

Thanks
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

Yup, Step 9 is the side view of the LH side headlight once the bumper is off.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
ipaqxman

Ok thanks for all the help.

Few more ridiculous questions:
1) you mentioned id need a wrench, philips and flat head screw driver
I am lacking a wrench right now, is that essential? Seems from the pix most of the screws can be accessed by philips?
2) would i need an impact driver to loosen the screws if they never been taken off
3) how to disconnect the battery prior? This question is not a joke. Id just like some brief description to know what i am doing is correct. Btw would i lose all my electric settings such as bluetooth etc after disconnecting the battery.

Thanks
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
ipaqxman

Or is battery disconnect necessary if i were to take off bumper n replace bulb. Not do the whole HID thing
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
KuroNekko

ipaqxman wrote:Ok thanks for all the help.

Few more ridiculous questions:
1) you mentioned id need a wrench, philips and flat head screw driver
I am lacking a wrench right now, is that essential? Seems from the pix most of the screws can be accessed by philips?
2) would i need an impact driver to loosen the screws if they never been taken off
3) how to disconnect the battery prior? This question is not a joke. Id just like some brief description to know what i am doing is correct. Btw would i lose all my electric settings such as bluetooth etc after disconnecting the battery.

Thanks
1) A 10mm wrench is highly advised. While the screws and bolts all have a Phillips head, some of them may be hard to remove with just a driver. You'll want to use a wrench, especially for the bolts that keep the headlight to the car.

2) No, an impact driver is not necessary, but you'll at least want a wrench. The impact driver is really for making the job faster more than anything. My HID installation was done without the use of an impact driver.

3) You don't need to disconnect the battery for something like replacing the bulbs. However, to do so, you'll again need a 10mm wrench to remove the nuts from the battery's terminal connectors. Disconnect the negative terminal. This will disconnect the battery's power. Yes, you'll lose radio presets when the battery is disconnected.
ipaqxman

Thanks again
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
ipaqxman

So My fiance and I spent valentines day taking off bumper and replacing the headlights. Took me much longer than I expected due to unforeseen stuff.

1) Some of the screws were so tightened that it could not be released by a philips screw driver so I ended up walking to a hardware store for a 10mm wrench so I think the wrench is essential for other people who want to attempt this.
2) I had a lot of trouble popping off the clips holding the headlight cover under the engine hood. Pretty much did it by force and broke all of their legs. Until when I was putting them back in I looked at the design of the clips and then realized its two parts and your supposed to take off the INNER core then the OUTER ones with the legs. The clips on the other side thus came out smoothly without me breaking any of them. Maybe thats standard knowledge and I just was not familiar with it but Kuro I recommend you adding that part into your tutorial so other newbies don't break all the clips like I did.
3) I also couldn't disconnect the headlight main wiring, or slide the foglight wire off the retainer clip. Is it just by brute force? I ended up changing the bulb with the headlight still connected partially out so with suboptimal visualization of the low beam compartment.

Want to thank all of your helpful responses and this image tutorial. I've yet to drive the car I hope things don't fall off.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
DesRado

ipaqxman wrote:So My fiance and I spent valentines day taking off bumper and replacing the headlights. Took me much longer than I expected due to unforeseen stuff.

1) Some of the screws were so tightened that it could not be released by a philips screw driver so I ended up walking to a hardware store for a 10mm wrench so I think the wrench is essential for other people who want to attempt this.
2) I had a lot of trouble popping off the clips holding the headlight cover under the engine hood. Pretty much did it by force and broke all of their legs. Until when I was putting them back in I looked at the design of the clips and then realized its two parts and your supposed to take off the INNER core then the OUTER ones with the legs. The clips on the other side thus came out smoothly without me breaking any of them. Maybe thats standard knowledge and I just was not familiar with it but Kuro I recommend you adding that part into your tutorial so other newbies don't break all the clips like I did.
3) I also couldn't disconnect the headlight main wiring, or slide the foglight wire off the retainer clip. Is it just by brute force? I ended up changing the bulb with the headlight still connected partially out so with suboptimal visualization of the low beam compartment.

Want to thank all of your helpful responses and this image tutorial. I've yet to drive the car I hope things don't fall off.
What a cool way to spend VD!

1) Sorry just the philips didn't work. I'm thinking the factory seal made it difficult, I've taken my bumper off a couple times now so it's at the point where only a screwdriver is necessary.
2) I've broken the clips on every car I ever attempt to take them out on, except the Kizashi as of now (phew). Maybe luck, but probably experience by now. A flat head under the tab and a small torque upwards should lift the inner piece enough for them to slide out of the holes.
3) I had trouble with this too my first time, even drew blood trying to disconnect them. Sometimes pushing it in first, then pushing tab down and pulling apart works, other times not so much. The fog light wire may be by brute force, I had done this the first time, probably broke something too. But, it still fits in it's socket and doesn't wiggle around.
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP

lishous23

Again... awesome info for owners... much appreciated.

We're getting good at the headlight replacement (thanks to all the great instructions on this board)... but this time around, two of the screws underneath the center of the bumper are rusted to the point where I will need to "drill" them out. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding replacement screws. Any insight about the size of screws to replace?

Thanks so much!
KuroNekko

lishous23 wrote:Again... awesome info for owners... much appreciated.

We're getting good at the headlight replacement (thanks to all the great instructions on this board)... but this time around, two of the screws underneath the center of the bumper are rusted to the point where I will need to "drill" them out. Problem is, I'm having a hard time finding replacement screws. Any insight about the size of screws to replace?

Thanks so much!
I don't have info on the screws but I too need to replace one that is missing. I plan to look into it and post info if/when I find it.